Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Unconfirmed] rumor : Bonvoy titanium to get more benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Unconfirmed] rumor : Bonvoy titanium to get more benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I can't figure out all the pluses and minuses.

But, there are a lot of Plat Premiers right now. I suspect those who are in the SPG LTPP sweep, may already be Plat Premiers so I'm assuming the numbers will drop.
That's my thinking as well. It's also worth noting that at least some of those who are getting swept "back up" may not be active customers, so even if the headcount goes up the impact may be somewhat blunted.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
I would be very surprised if there are any differences between the current T&C and the Bonvoy T&C. What we can hope (if we are lucky) for is better enforcement of the T&C and maybe some clarifications.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Free breakfast to 50 nighters Platinums is a must nowadays in every elite level (Hilton ecc); removing it at Marriott would be a shame and a loss of customers for sure (firstly me)
In Accor you have free breakfast for Plat Members only at Asian properties
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:25 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I don't think IHG Plat comes with free breakfast (except at brands where everyone already gets breakfast.)
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I don't think IHG Plat comes with free breakfast (except at brands where everyone already gets breakfast.)
IHG hates its elites, including its top-level spire elites.

Marriott's competitors are Hilton and Hyatt, not IHG.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:00 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
IHG hates its elites, including its top-level spire elites.

Marriott's competitors are Hilton and Hyatt, not IHG.
I will have to disagree. IHG is very much a competitor with Marriott. Just because each has chosen different things to emphasize within their respective programs doesn't mean they aren't competitors. And I wouldn't say that IHG "hates" elites. I'd say they focus their rewards program on other things than just elite benefits during a hotel stay.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I will have to disagree. IHG is very much a competitor with Marriott. Just because each has chosen different things to emphasize within their respective programs doesn't mean they aren't competitors. And I wouldn't say that IHG "hates" elites. I'd say they focus their rewards program on other things than just elite benefits during a hotel stay.
This is off-topic, but IHG isn't a serious competitor to Marriott, except in some markets with limited-service brands and also in the handful of markets in which IHG's Intercontinental branded property is a genuine 5-star, luxury hotel. As a blogger noted:

Hilton has true luxury hotels in Waldorf-Astoria and Conrad properties. For Marriott, the JW brand and Ritz-Carlton serve the upper echelon. At Starwood it’s St. Regis and W Hotels while Hyatt has the Park Hyatt line and Grand Hyatt hotels.

IHG just doesn’t have that fifth gear. There are some standout properties certainly, the Intercontinental Bora Bora offers overwater suites and the Intercontinental Paris Le Grande offers a great location with balcony views of the Eiffel Tower. But make no mistake, there is no clear high-level consistent category for the chain (excluding Kimpton as they are outside of IHG Rewards).

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....elites-better/
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: Some
This is off-topic, but IHG isn't a serious competitor to Marriott, except in some markets with limited-service brands and also in the handful of markets in which IHG's Intercontinental branded property is a genuine 5-star, luxury hotel. As a blogger noted:
Firstly, I'm note sure just because a blogger said something it makes it true (although in this case, I would tend to agree that IHG has a minimal number of luxury properties).

More importantly, out of Marriott's 1.3m rooms globally as at the end of September 2018, only about 6.5% of them by my calculation are RC/Edition/W/St. Regis/LC/Bulgari. The other c.94% are made up of the Marriott brands that are in direct competition with an equivalent IHG brand, so not sure how you can deduce that IHG is not a competitor to Marriott from that!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Much more important, it seems to me, is what they're going to call it when they need a level above titanium? Sort of like ATC, -- widebodies are "heavy"; 380s are "super." What will they call it when someone builds an exponentially larger plane? (Yes, I'm intentionally ignoring the fact that market conditions wouldn't support a plane generationally larger than the 380.) "Giganto"? Nah, too many syllables and it doesn't roll off the tongue smoothly. IIRC Concorde had no such special designation in ATC communications.

And why titanium? It's much less costly than platinum. In fact, titanium is often used as a substitute for platinum in rings because it looks more or less the same and is so much easier on the wallet.
Titanium because those customers’ habits are — like titanium and unlike platinum — harder to break and less malleable in properties regardless of how Marriott has stiffed them.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Firstly, I'm note sure just because a blogger said something it makes it true (although in this case, I would tend to agree that IHG has a minimal number of luxury properties).

More importantly, out of Marriott's 1.3m rooms globally as at the end of September 2018, only about 6.5% of them by my calculation are RC/Edition/W/St. Regis/LC/Bulgari. The other c.94% are made up of the Marriott brands that are in direct competition with an equivalent IHG brand, so not sure how you can deduce that IHG is not a competitor to Marriott from that!
I agree, and in fact I'd go farther and say that this blogger doesn't seem to know much about luxury hotels or the brands being discussed. I would put the Conrad and JW in the same category, but it's not genuine luxury. On the SPG side, LC should (generally) be included and many Ws (especially in the USA) excluded. For Hyatt, GH isn't luxury because (among other factors) they're too big, while there's an argument that some of the Andaz properties (such as Tokyo) are luxury.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation

In the global scope of hotels, sure, all brands are competing with all other brands to some extent. But I know in my own personal decision-making, the only place I'm ever thinking of IHG and Marriott as head-to-head competitors for any single booking decision is a rural stay - HIX vs. Fairfield Inn.

I'd add IC vs. JW or W if I ran into that scenario more often. I'd certainly add Kimpton to that list if there were more of them.

But IHG lacks a real presence in the mainline business hotel category, which is Marriott's bread and butter. Only way I'm staying in a janky old Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaza on a business trip is if every Marriott, Hyatt, and Hilton within a 30 mile radius is sold out.

So from a loyalty program perspective (as opposed to individual-property perspective), Marriott probably considers their competition Hilton and Hyatt at this point. Regionally Accor, Fairmont, and maybe a couple others. They probably watch to see if Choice, IHG, or Radisson actually do something innovative, but Marriott doesn't need to respond to everything those programs do as they would with their real business-traveler competitors.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
In the global scope of hotels, sure, all brands are competing with all other brands to some extent. But I know in my own personal decision-making, the only place I'm ever thinking of IHG and Marriott as head-to-head competitors for any single booking decision is a rural stay - HIX vs. Fairfield Inn.

I'd add IC vs. JW or W if I ran into that scenario more often. I'd certainly add Kimpton to that list if there were more of them.

But IHG lacks a real presence in the mainline business hotel category, which is Marriott's bread and butter. Only way I'm staying in a janky old Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaza on a business trip is if every Marriott, Hyatt, and Hilton within a 30 mile radius is sold out.

So from a loyalty program perspective (as opposed to individual-property perspective), Marriott probably considers their competition Hilton and Hyatt at this point. Regionally Accor, Fairmont, and maybe a couple others. They probably watch to see if Choice, IHG, or Radisson actually do something innovative, but Marriott doesn't need to respond to everything those programs do as they would with their real business-traveler competitors.
Considering that Marriott's Delta brand has basically become a dumping ground for re-flags from IHG's Holiday Inn and Wyndham's Ramada, among other brands, I'd say that maybe Holiday Inn and Delta are comparable since Delta's hotels, at least the renovated and new-build properties, are definitely below Marriott's full-service Marriott, Sheraton, Renaissance and Westin brands.

The only markets in which Choice and Radisson own are the Nordic counties. Marriott has almost no presence in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. Those are very difficult markets for full-service hotels because of the high labor costs. There's also an independent brand, Scandic, with a good presence.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jan 29, 2019 at 2:26 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Considering that Marriott's Delta brand has basically become a dumping ground for re-flags from IHG's Holiday Inn and Wyndham's Ramada, among other brands, I'd say that maybe Holiday Inn and Delta are comparable since Delta's hotels, at least the renovated and new-build properties, are definitely below Marriott's full-service Marriott, Sheraton, Renaissance and Westin brands.

The only markets in which Choice and Radisson own are the Nordic counties. Marriott has almost no presence in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. Those are very difficult markets for full-service hotels because of the high labor costs. There's also an independent brand, Scandic, with a good presence.
I suspect there are some nice Delta hotels in Canada but otherwise:

"DoubleTree by Hilton has been cornering the market on conversion brand hotels, nearly doubling its rooms since 2007. But Marriott International wants to change all that. Marriott's North American chief development officer, Noah Silverman, believes the only reason DoubleTree has had so much success is because it doesn't have a competitor like Marriott. Earlier this year, Marriott paid $135M for Canada-based Delta Hotels and Resorts, positioning it as a US conversion brand. Delta signed up its first US hotel in Orlando last month. DoubleTree owes its success to convincing hotel owners of rival brands to switch flags. As of the end of September, 96% of its 4,406 new rooms added in the past 12 months were conversions. Hotel owners can save millions with DoubleTree because it has some freedom in its standards, like allowing individual air-conditioning units in rooms instead of requiring owners to install one central air system. Silverman says Delta will allow similar flexibility, including stucco "cottage cheese" ceilings, bathtub showers, and in-wall air-conditioning systems. It'll also be up to 50% less to convert a hotel to Delta compared to upgrading to Marriott.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/national/news...medium=Browser
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I suspect there are some nice Delta hotels in Canada but otherwise: ...
The excerpt from the Bisnow article sums up nicely how Marriott is using the Delta Hotels brand as a conversion brand, and why: Marriott is emulating Hilton's success with DoubleTree.

I don't mind the idea of a Marriott-affiliated full-service hotel that previously flew a different flag. If the hotel has been renovated with modern furniture, new flooring, cosmetic changes in the bathroom, clean decor, and a pleasant lobby, it doesn't need to adhere to all the specifications of a new-build full-service hotel. This should fill a niche between higher-end full-service hotels such as Renaissance and select service hotels such as Courtyard.

However I have two concerns about Delta Hotels:

It seems many of these hotels were in sad shape before getting their Delta renovations. I hope Marriott will monitor these properties carefully to make sure that standards don't slip.

I've read about the self-service Elite Pantries at some Delta Hotels properties. These take the place of a real Signature Lounge or a real breakfast in the restaurant. Considering that Delta is treated like Marriott, Renaissance, JW Marriott, and Autograph Collection in the terms & conditions, the Elite Pantry seems inadequate (even if it is mentioned as an approved alternative in the terms & conditions).
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Horace
The excerpt from the Bisnow article sums up nicely how Marriott is using the Delta Hotels brand as a conversion brand, and why: Marriott is emulating Hilton's success with DoubleTree.

I don't mind the idea of a Marriott-affiliated full-service hotel that previously flew a different flag. If the hotel has been renovated with modern furniture, new flooring, cosmetic changes in the bathroom, clean decor, and a pleasant lobby, it doesn't need to adhere to all the specifications of a new-build full-service hotel. This should fill a niche between higher-end full-service hotels such as Renaissance and select service hotels such as Courtyard.

However I have two concerns about Delta Hotels:

It seems many of these hotels were in sad shape before getting their Delta renovations. I hope Marriott will monitor these properties carefully to make sure that standards don't slip.

I've read about the self-service Elite Pantries at some Delta Hotels properties. These take the place of a real Signature Lounge or a real breakfast in the restaurant. Considering that Delta is treated like Marriott, Renaissance, JW Marriott, and Autograph Collection in the terms & conditions, the Elite Pantry seems inadequate (even if it is mentioned as an approved alternative in the terms & conditions).
I generally agree, but don't understand why Marriott didn't launch a conversion brand because there are some new-build Delta properties. All this does it make for an inconsistent brand. The pantry in lieu of a lounge is a good example. Several Delta properties have a lounge -- whether it's a signature club lounge, inherited from the legacy Delta brand in Canada, or the more generic and Marriott-esque concierge lounge -- but others have a pantry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.