Wiki Posts
Search

Would the hotel allow this?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, WestJet Rewards, Marriott Rewards
Question Would the hotel allow this?

I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with whether the situation below would be possible:

We are planning a 3-night stay in Seattle in August. I have enough Marriott points to cover one night at a Category 6 hotel and I have $1,000 of Expedia Rewards credit.

If I booked the first hotel night via Marriott and the second and third hotel night via Expedia for the same hotel, would the hotel let me stay in the same room for the entire duration of my stay or would I be forced to check out and check back in?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only the hotel can answer that when you check in.
They may not be the same room types/rack price
polyesther likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
My experience is that hotels will gladly do this if you contact them directly, in advance, as long as you're not in some specialty room or they're very close to sold out.

Your best course of action would be to call them direction - the individual property needs to deal with this, not Marriott Customer Service, Orbitz, etc.
polyesther and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:49 am

I have done this many times and as long as the room type and number of beds is the same, I have never had an issue. I have not done this in advance, but have never been disappointed. I often book consecutive, one night bookings and then ask to stay in the initial room. Maybe I have been lucky.
polyesther likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
I agree with the others that calling the hotel is the best bet and they will probably be fine with it. The only thing I would add is when you call the hotel you will need to ask for the front desk or reservations manager. Be careful because once you say "reservations" they will want to get you off the phone and dump you into central reservations.
Antarius and polyesther like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by njcommodore
I agree with the others that calling the hotel is the best bet and they will probably be fine with it. The only thing I would add is when you call the hotel you will need to ask for the front desk or reservations manager. Be careful because once you say "reservations" they will want to get you off the phone and dump you into central reservations.
Unfortunately, if someone doesn't answer in the hotel when you ask for in house reservations, the call tends to forward to the central reservations line for kettles, so you'll be on hold for hours (and not on a toll free number, if that matters to you) and then (if lucky) some incompetent agent will answer.

A better strategy would be to ask for a front desk supervisor/manager or the property's rooms manager. Saying the word reservations tends to lead to bad outcomes when you call the hotel.
polyesther likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by xooz
I have done this many times and as long as the room type and number of beds is the same, I have never had an issue. I have not done this in advance, but have never been disappointed. I often book consecutive, one night bookings and then ask to stay in the initial room. Maybe I have been lucky.
Generally within a room class, a room is a room. So it doesn't matter which one they put you in.

I would try to contact them in advance, however, as others have mentioned.
polyesther likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:21 am

Yes, though I have had the good fortune of getting an upgraded room the first night, and then having them let me keep it. That would be less likely if I announced my intention to have a 3 night stay up front.
polyesther likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I've combined a paid reservation and a "free night certificate" or points reservation a number of times.

I make sure I've booked exactly the same room category (same view, same number of beds, same designation such as "deluxe" or whatever the hotel calls its standard rooms). Sometimes I cross-reference the reservation number in the comments, requesting to stay in the same room.

With both confirmation numbers at hand, I call Marriott Reservations to link/notate the two reservations.

At check-in, I verify that I'll be in the same room. It's never been a problem. Usually, I don't even have to go to front desk on the day of the switch-over, and the same key cards continue to work.

I'm not saying anyone on this thread gave bad advice about tracking down someone at the hotel. I've just never found it to be necessary. The request just needs to be clear to the hotel's room assigner. Exactly how the room assigner gets that message is less important.
polyesther likes this.

Last edited by Horace; Jan 21, 2019 at 12:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.