Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Downgraded From Club Level Room At Ritz Carlton

Downgraded From Club Level Room At Ritz Carlton

Reply

Old Jan 10, 19, 6:00 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,049
As for the club access vs club lounge - definitely noticed this subtle change . Also have noticed a big push at RC properties to upsell club access and upgrades at check in
Had a recent upsell experience in DC -the check in agent pulled out a chart that had a grid showing upsell amounts to Club and suites based on category booked .
Mister Nice is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 6:10 am
  #47  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Posts: 5,752
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
This was certainly true before SPG started offering breakfast to Plats. There's also the special amenity attached to FHR bookings, but OTOH FHR rates are closer to rack and the upgrade benefit officially is one category. (The propety can voluntarily do more, and I've even gotten some nice suites, but officially if one category up is sold out but there are lots of rooms available in the next category, the property isn't obligated to give you the two category upgrade.)
Iím not sure what the reference to SPG means here? Marriott does not offer free breakfast to its elites at Ritz Carlton hotels, as a result the benefits provided to people booking via channels including FHR and Virutoso remain significantly more generous than for people booking on Marriott.com. When you add the guarantee of customer service with a third party, the more reliable upgrade and often $100 spending money then it makes sense to book indirect even when the rate is quite a bit higher.
EuropeanPete is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 6:11 am
  #48  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 79,617
Originally Posted by Mister Nice View Post
As for the club access vs club lounge - definitely noticed this subtle change . Also have noticed a big push at RC properties to upsell club access and upgrades at check in
Had a recent upsell experience in DC -the check in agent pulled out a chart that had a grid showing upsell amounts to Club and suites based on category booked .
We can only hope that there are capacity controls on this. Most RC clubs lounges aren't large enough to function if every room in the hotel were to be a club access room.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 6:18 am
  #49  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 79,617
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post


I’m not sure what the reference to SPG means here? Marriott does not offer free breakfast to its elites at Ritz Carlton hotels, as a result the benefits provided to people booking via channels including FHR and Virutoso remain significantly more generous than for people booking on Marriott.com. When you add the guarantee of customer service with a third party, the more reliable upgrade and often $100 spending money then it makes sense to book indirect even when the rate is quite a bit higher.
I was responding to a post, which I quoted, about hotels giving better treatment to FHR guests than to those who booked directly, including elites. Before SPG started offering Plat breakfast, they gave free breakfast on FHR bookings but not to guests who made reservations through Plat Concierge, for instance (unless of course a rate including breakfast had been selected and paid). FHR also gave a substantial property amenity, while both had the guaranteed 4 pm checkout, although this was excluded for SPG Plats at resorts and conference centers who didn't book through FHR. Yes, there were differences in upgrade entitlements, but otherwise FHR would seem to win over SPG Plat benefits in every column.

BTW, for Virtuoso bookings, late checkout is "if available" and not guaranteed as it is through FHR, although some individual properties might be willing to guarantee it in advance at certain times for bookings made by certain Virtuoso agents.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 7:17 am
  #50  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Posts: 5,752
To be honest I still don't understand the point - but could well just be me! You were responding to a poster who said he'd be pretty mad if Marriott treated FHR guests better than their own elites, and surely the answer is "This is exactly what they do". If you are a Marriott elite you will not get free breakfast with a Ritz Carlton unless you book via a channel like FHR, whereas if you use FHR you will get the free breakfast (and more) no matter whether you've ever stayed in a Marriott hotel or not.

Historical SPG benefits are sort of beside the point.
Kacee, rny321 and nexusCFX like this.
EuropeanPete is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 9:14 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,049
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
We can only hope that there are capacity controls on this. Most RC clubs lounges aren't large enough to function if every room in the hotel were to be a club access room.
It was absolutely jammed and very loud. Service was good but it was mobbed.
Mister Nice is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 9:28 am
  #52  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 39,461
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
When you add the guarantee of customer service with a third party
Yeah, not only do you get a guaranteed breakfast, but the properties are actually concerned about negative feedback to AMEX vs. complaints to Marriott which just disappear into the void. I've also noticed that since many RCs don't discount their rates much, the FHR rates are often competitive with direct channel bookings.
EuropeanPete and MSPeconomist like this.
Kacee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 10:21 am
  #53  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 198
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yeah, not only do you get a guaranteed breakfast, but the properties are actually concerned about negative feedback to AMEX vs. complaints to Marriott which just disappear into the void. I've also noticed that since many RCs don't discount their rates much, the FHR rates are often competitive with direct channel bookings.
Don't forget that since you're booking with a travel agent, you still receive points and stay credit/benefits. So booking through FHR when available is better in virtually every way. I think the one exception is upgrades, as stated elsewhere.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Zelucifer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 10:28 am
  #54  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Posts: 5,752
Originally Posted by Zelucifer View Post
Don't forget that since you're booking with a travel agent, you still receive points and stay credit/benefits. So booking through FHR when available is better in virtually every way. I think the one exception is upgrades, as stated elsewhere.
I donít think upgrades are an exception. You get a near guaranteed one category upgrade with FHR and youíll get a further upgrade as a Marriott elite if you were going to get one anyways.
MSPeconomist likes this.
EuropeanPete is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 10:29 am
  #55  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,336
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
We can only hope that there are capacity controls on this. Most RC clubs lounges aren't large enough to function if every room in the hotel were to be a club access room.
I'm willing to guess that many Ritz-Carlton properties in markets where the competition is a St. Regis or Luxury Collection property have noticed a decline in bookings because guests who value elite status are probably taking their business to Marriott's luxury brands that recognize and reward their loyalty. As a result, Ritz-Carlton is resorting to up-selling, hoping guests who don't know better will pay the $100 or $150 for daily club lounge access.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 10:34 am
  #56  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 79,617
Originally Posted by Mister Nice View Post
It was absolutely jammed and very loud. Service was good but it was mobbed.
Then it sounds like they're just running an all inclusive resort with a fancy name. Avoid.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 10:50 am
  #57  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,309
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
I would be pretty mad if Ritz-Carlton was giving better perks to guests booking through American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts.
You shouldn't be the least bit mad. AMEX has built a relationship with the chains/properties and negotiated a good deal for its customers and enforces the same (AAA has done the same). Marriott has not done that for some time and is not doing that with MPG, I believe their thought is you're getting the privilege of staying at a Marriott property, enjoy that.. It's getting better to go outside the program and have someone backing you up than to fight with today's CSRs that mostly claim it's up to the property and they won't help out.
RogerD408 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 11:53 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,049
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
I'm willing to guess that many Ritz-Carlton properties in markets where the competition is a St. Regis or Luxury Collection property have noticed a decline in bookings because guests who value elite status are probably taking their business to Marriott's luxury brands that recognize and reward their loyalty. As a result, Ritz-Carlton is resorting to up-selling, hoping guests who don't know better will pay the $100 or $150 for daily club lounge access.
Could very well be but there is no lounge access for elites at Luxury Collection or St. Regis either .
Mister Nice is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 1:02 pm
  #59  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 39,461
Originally Posted by Mister Nice View Post
Could very well be but there is no lounge access for elites at Luxury Collection or St. Regis either .
Inconsequential, since they rarely have lounges. Instead, you get a full restaurant breakfast.
hockeyinsider likes this.
Kacee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 2:00 pm
  #60  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,336
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Inconsequential, since they rarely have lounges. Instead, you get a full restaurant breakfast.
This
hockeyinsider is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread