Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Downgraded From Club Level Room At Ritz Carlton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT

CURRENTLY I AM IN COMMUNICATION WITH RITZ CARLTON MANAGEMENT REGARDING A RESOLUTION
Has anyone been downgraded from a club level room to a basic level room after they have received email confirmation?

I am celebrating my birthday, this weekend 1/13/2019, at a Ritz Carlton property that I will not yet name. The reservation was made through AMEX FHR Travel and I received a confirmation of my stay. I further linked the reservation via my Marriott account where I have PLAT status. The confirmation email from the Ritz Carlton, I received after I linked the reservation, shows that I am booked for a Club level room for about $660 per night.

Today, I get an email from the Ritz Carlton and reviewing my stay on their website to my surprise my Club room was downgraded to a basic level. room. I contacted customer service and was updated to my original club level room for about an additional $100.

Has anyone experienced such a station?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
To be clear, did you actually book a Club room?
C17PSGR and barracuda93 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
To be clear, did you actually book a Club room?
I have a email from the Ritz Carlton email server saying that I did. If you want a screenshot, I will PM you I want to see what the resolution to matter is before I make it public.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
What I meant was whether you actually asked to book a Club room.

Unfortunately Marriott as a whole is such a mess that you can’t necessarily rely on anything you read on Marriott.com or that you receive in an email.

If you didn’t book a Club room it’s unlikely they intended to upgrade you and maybe temporarily had an error. If you did, then obviously you can’t be downgraded.
boss315 and barracuda93 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
What I meant was whether you actually asked to book a Club room.

Unfortunately Marriott as a whole is such a mess that you can’t necessarily rely on anything you read on Marriott.com or that you receive in an email.

If you didn’t book a Club room it’s unlikely they intended to upgrade you and maybe temporarily had an error. If you did, then obviously you can’t be downgraded.
My original booking was for a Club level room.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:19 pm

I'd have thought AMEX FHR would be the people to speak to about this? As mentioned before, the Marriott systems are all over the place at the moment, so I could well believe something has gone wrong. Obviously there's no way you owe $100 to receive a room you've already booked and I would not have accepted a $100 upcharge...
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
My original booking was for a Club level room.
I'm assuming if you actually booked a Club level room through FHR (as opposed to that being the FHR upgrade), then you'll get it unless they are overbooked, in which case I presume they will make some sort of customer service accommodation. On the other hand, if you paid for a regular room through FHR and they inadvertently booked you in a Club room, I presume it is a mistake and they may make some sort of customer service accommodation.

I don't stay much at RC's but am normally upgraded there when I do but never to a Club room.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'm assuming if you actually booked a Club level room through FHR (as opposed to that being the FHR upgrade), then you'll get it unless they are overbooked, in which case I presume they will make some sort of customer service accommodation. On the other hand, if you paid for a regular room through FHR and they inadvertently booked you in a Club room, I presume it is a mistake and they may make some sort of customer service accommodation.

I don't stay much at RC's but am normally upgraded there when I do but never to a Club room.
I booked this through an AMEX FHR representative and requested a Club room, in addition I verified the room category for a second time before booking. Upon reciving confirmation from AMEX, I took the confirmation and associated the reservation number to my account. As far as I know, Ritz does not upgrade to a Club Level room regardless of status upon mere association on their website.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
But did you actually book a Club room?

In all seriousness, as others have mentioned above, the information on both the Apps and the website can be inaccurate.

If you spoke to the property directly already to get this resolved, then great. Hope it gets resolved.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:14 pm

I booked this through an AMEX FHR representative and requested a Club room, in addition I verified the room category for a second time before booking. Upon reciving confirmation from AMEX, I took the confirmation and associated the reservation number to my account. As far as I know, Ritz does not upgrade to a Club Level room regardless of status upon mere association on their website.
Call FHR. They will take care of this one way or another. You may have to have a 3-way conference with the hotel, but this should be a relatively easy fix. If there is actually an issue with the booking, demand compensation. Hotels highly value FHR bookings.
C17PSGR and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Usually, when I book via FHR, they will say the basic room is X, the deluxe room is Y, etc. Although I personally prefer to book online to avoid any ambiguity.

All that being said, if you booked a club room through Amex, why not just call them up and ask them what happened? Should be a really easy conversation.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:36 pm

It does really sound like that OP’s original booking was not for a club room but rather booked a lower category and either was preupgraded on the reservation system or had a FHR upgrade (usually subject to availability) and when OP realized the reservation details mentioned club room he had a new confirmation email sent to him.

The answer on post #3 is definitely not very straightforward and his apparent downgrade is a bit surprising as, usually, RCs club rooms are not a special category of rooms but rather a regular room whose key was coded to allow acces to the club lounge (not always though).

However, if the reservation was indeed originally made for a club room, then I guess he’s entitled to, at the very least, the rate difference between club and regular room and a service recovery goodwill gesture from the hotel.

As previously mentioned by several other posters, this should be handled through FHR—they should know which roomcategory the OP originally booked.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier

The answer on post #3 is definitely not very straightforward and his apparent downgrade is a bit surprising.
+1
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You should have received a written confirmation from AmEx PTS/CTS for your FHR bookings. I t should show whether or not you booked a club level room. This is what matters, not how the reservation was translated in the Starriott system, which has been seriously messed up for many months.

Note that normally FHR rates are for regular "deluxe" rooms and you would need to pay a higher rate for a club level room, often about $100 per person per night, but the rate difference obviously depends on the hotel and possibly the rate plan you're using. As usual, FHR gives a one category upgrade at check in if available as well as daily continental breakfast and a guaranteed 4 pm checkout plus whatever special amenity the property offers. PTS/CTS phone agents should be able to tell you whether the one category upgrade at the property includes upgrades to club level rooms, but when I've booked FHR rates at RCs, the answer to this has been no.

Moreover, MR Plat status does not entitle you to club lounge access at RC, nor are you entitled to "available" upgrades to club level rooms. Currently MR Plat status (50 nights per year level, not the new PP at 75 nights) also does not entitle you to a suite upgrade, although you would be entitled to an upgrade to a higher category nonsuite room (without club lounge access) if available at check in.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Checking 4 of my reservations, all 4 have been downgraded from suites to basic rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.