Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Tokyo, Japan, 2019 onward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: emma dog
This thread is to discuss and compare the various Marriott branded hotels in the Tokyo, Japan area.
The below 2 threads contain pre-2019 discussions for Tokyo area Marriott and Starwood hotels:
Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan
Tokyo Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

The Westin Tokyo
Notes: Upscale location, walkable to station, generally good for couples.
Detailed thread:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-thread.html

Sheraton Miyako Hotel Tokyo
Notes:

Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel
Notes: Good if your trip focuses on the two Disney resorts, great themed rooms that kids love, no lounge but good breakfast.

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Notes: High rise hotel with views rivaling the Andaz.
Small but adequate lounge, onsen from the high floor is a novelty in itself. However lounge access is no longer provided to Marriott elites (unless booking a room that comes with access).
Detailed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-thread.html

Yokohama Bay Sheraton Hotel & Towers
Notes: Decently large lounge with good high tea, conveniently located to Yokohama station, great upgrades for platinums.
If you have bags, don't use the train, since the Yokohama station is the "sagrada familia of tokyo" where construction never ends and passages are narrow and crowded.

Tokyo Marriott Hotel
Notes:

Courtyard Tokyo Ginza Hotel
Notes:

Courtyard Tokyo Station
Notes:

The Ritz-Carlton, Tokyo
Notes:

The Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo, Autograph Collection
Notes: Conveniently located in the vicinity of Shinagawa Station, a very short train ride from HND. Decent lounge. Big hotel rooms by Tokyo standards.

Moxy Tokyo Kinshicho
Notes: Botique hotel in a local neighbourhood outside of central Tokyo.

A'loft Ginza
Notes: very central location, small rooms, and a funky but nice rooftop bar with a hotdog stand.

AC Ginza
Notes:

The Tokyo Edition Toranomon
Notes:

The Tokyo Edition Ginza
Notes:

Mesm Autograph Collection
Notes: Lounge based on status only available to Ambassador members. Otherwise need to book a room that includes lounge access.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019 | 10:04 am
Original Poster
10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium

We are going to be in Tokyo for 5 nights in April. We are a couple with a 6 year old daughter.

For a tourist, which hotel will you recommend. Prince Sakura or Westin? Point-wise both are similar at 200k points for 5 nights.

Primary focus is easy access to tourist / shopping spots in Tokyo and access to train to get to Osaka / Hakone.

Another consideration is breakfast in restaurant (we are vegetarian and being able to get restaurant breakfast helps us find a few extra veg options).

I am assuming both the hotels will be OK to heat (microwave) the vegetarian food we bring with us for dinner.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 7, 2019 | 10:37 am
20 Countries Visited500k20 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Plt, OW Blue!
We spent 5 days at the Prince Sakura in October and loved it.

Location is very quite with gardens in and around the hotel.

Great access to the metro system ( on the circle line) and to the Bullet train network.

Would stay there again.
Old Jan 7, 2019 | 12:29 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
We stayed at the Westin about 5 or 6 years ago and I found it disappointing and it felt like a bad value. The location is ok. Quiet neighborhood, but walkable to Metro. We’re headed back to Tokyo in June and are planning to try Prince Sakura. I realize this isn’t particularly helpful in terms of direct comparison, but thought I’d throw it out there for reference.

Old Jan 7, 2019 | 1:22 pm
10 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited500k20 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
We loved the Westin when we were there in 2008. As lowly preferred we upgraded using points to a room on the club floor and then took breakfast in the restaurant.
Not sure any full service hotel will have a microwave in your room or in the lounge for heating food, though.
Old Jan 7, 2019 | 1:52 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I usually stay at the Westin - I've not stayed at the Sakura. I generally get good upgrades at the Westin and I like the rooms - it is in a residential area, and we all have different definitions of lengthy, by for me, it is a lengthy walk to the train.
Old Jan 7, 2019 | 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
We stayed at the Prince Sakura several years ago and found it very convenient for the Circle line and for the Bullet Trains - we actually left from there to Kyoto/Osaka. Note it's also a very short train ride from Haneda if your flight arrives there rather than Narita. We had one of the large upgraded corner, "rounded" rooms (don't recall what they're called on the reservation system). There is no club so had breakfast in the restaurant every day which was extensive and certainly many veggie options - my partner is vegetarian. (ON EDIT: apparently there is a club per the sticky, so either it was closed or just not impressive while we were there!)

You really don't need to bring food back to your room just to stay vegetarian. The restaurant where they serve breakfast was an italian restaurant at night when we were there so obviously plenty of veggie choices. The grounds are lovely, plus you also have access to the restaurants and other facilities of the two other Prince hotels on the grounds, both of which are larger "conference" type hotels. The Sakura has a more boutique feeling to it. Could probably stand a refresh although to be fair the 70's decor is now back in style as retro. It's also nice that you're off the main road and in a more residential area so pretty quiet at night time.

The gym in the basement is actually a membership club so pretty well-equipped if that matters. We didn't use it but there is a pool which a 6-year old would probably enjoy.

Have not stayed at the Westin so cannot do a comparison

Last edited by Brucemcdou; Jan 7, 2019 at 3:51 pm
Old Jan 7, 2019 | 3:36 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

FWIW we were recently in Tokyo. You might consider at least a day trip to Tokyo Disney with a 6 year old. It will be the most non-tourist thing you do as it is about 99.9% locals or at least Asians. Rest of Tokyo is full of tourists. The Disney Sea park is really special and I am not a huge Disney guy. Lines are huge but really great place. Plus it's less than half the cost of Anaheim Disney. We stayed at the Sheraton Tokyo Bay which was very large but easy stop on the monorail, allowed more than 2 people in a room, had lovely club, and most incredible Japanese arcade. My kids liked the arcade almost as much as Disney.
Old Jan 7, 2019 | 4:09 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: AC 25K|AS MVPG|UA Silver|Marriott Titanium|HH Diamond|Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
We are going to be in Tokyo for 5 nights in April. We are a couple with a 6 year old daughter.

For a tourist, which hotel will you recommend. Prince Sakura or Westin? Point-wise both are similar at 200k points for 5 nights.

Primary focus is easy access to tourist / shopping spots in Tokyo and access to train to get to Osaka / Hakone.

Another consideration is breakfast in restaurant (we are vegetarian and being able to get restaurant breakfast helps us find a few extra veg options).

I am assuming both the hotels will be OK to heat (microwave) the vegetarian food we bring with us for dinner.

Thoughts?
Prince Sakura is almost fully booked for April; it has been for quite some time now since it's peak travel season. There is no space for a five night standard room according to the calendar. I couldn't even convince them to let me pay to upgrade my standard award because inventory is so limited.

EDIT:
Also, if I'm being honest, it is seriously worth stretching to 240k on a five night stay to stay at the Prince Gallery or Ritz-Carlton for 5 nights over the Westin. Especially as an SPG Platinum, Prince Gallery is the clear choice if you have the extra 40k. Both of those hotels have standard rooms for the second half of April at least.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Jan 7, 2019 at 4:17 pm
Old Jan 9, 2019 | 10:23 pm
Original Poster
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Prince Sakura is almost fully booked for April; it has been for quite some time now since it's peak travel season. There is no space for a five night standard room according to the calendar. I couldn't even convince them to let me pay to upgrade my standard award because inventory is so limited.

EDIT:
Also, if I'm being honest, it is seriously worth stretching to 240k on a five night stay to stay at the Prince Gallery or Ritz-Carlton for 5 nights over the Westin. Especially as an SPG Platinum, Prince Gallery is the clear choice if you have the extra 40k. Both of those hotels have standard rooms for the second half of April at least.
Thanks a lot.

I already have a standard award reservation at Prince Sakura for my travel dates (4/1 - 4/6).

I see availability with Westin and was wondering if I should do that. I will also look up the Prince Gallery. 40K extra points are OK with me. Do you know if the Gallery is conveniently located for Metro / JR and easy to get to touristy things from there?
Old Jan 9, 2019 | 10:57 pm
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
Thanks a lot.

I already have a standard award reservation at Prince Sakura for my travel dates (4/1 - 4/6).

I see availability with Westin and was wondering if I should do that. I will also look up the Prince Gallery. 40K extra points are OK with me. Do you know if the Gallery is conveniently located for Metro / JR and easy to get to touristy things from there?
If I were you I would keep your existing reservation because I think the Westin is super western looking and dated, but as you can see, others feel that it's a good option.

I cannot comment on the microwave thing either. To be honest, if I was vegetarian I probably wouldn't even go to Tokyo because I feel like it'd be so hard to get food. I hope things work out well for you there regardless of where you choose to stay.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Jan 10, 2019 at 10:49 am
Old Jan 9, 2019 | 11:25 pm
Original Poster
10 Years on Site

Smile

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
FWIW we were recently in Tokyo. You might consider at least a day trip to Tokyo Disney with a 6 year old. It will be the most non-tourist thing you do as it is about 99.9% locals or at least Asians. Rest of Tokyo is full of tourists. The Disney Sea park is really special and I am not a huge Disney guy. Lines are huge but really great place. Plus it's less than half the cost of Anaheim Disney. We stayed at the Sheraton Tokyo Bay which was very large but easy stop on the monorail, allowed more than 2 people in a room, had lovely club, and most incredible Japanese arcade. My kids liked the arcade almost as much as Disney.
Thanks a lot.

We will try to squeeze in Disney. I will check out the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay as suggested by you
Old Jan 10, 2019 | 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
How come Prince Sakura is fully booked for the first week of April but the Prince Gallery still has award availability for the same period?
Old Jan 10, 2019 | 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
How come Prince Sakura is fully booked for the first week of April but the Prince Gallery still has award availability for the same period?
Prince Sakura is cheaper and right next to Shiba Koen/Tokyo Tower.
Old Jan 10, 2019 | 10:50 am
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
The cash rates are cheaper, and in addition to that, a lot of people cashed in OC8s at Prince Sakura for March/April. I have two bookings myself.
Old Jan 10, 2019 | 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
To be honest, if I was vegetarian I probably wouldn't even go to Tokyo because I feel like it'd be so hard to get food. I hope things work out well for you there regardless of where you choose to stay.
[OFF TOPIC DIGRESSION] We spent a week in Japan, including our stay at the Prince Sakura. My partner is vegetarian, I'm not, but am supportive (obviously!). While I agree with Nexus that Japanese food is almost across the board not veggie friendly, that's no reason to be reduced to microwaving food in your room unless you prefer that (and you said you are travelling with kids so may be easier sometimes).

Tokyo is a huge, fantastic first-world city with food from all over the world. For example, there's a great Indian restaurant about three blocks from the Prince Sakura in a residential neighborhoods - tons of veggie options, and clearly very popular with the locals. Same thing with Thai, or Italian restaurants. They're everywhere and they're good. Just because you're in a country doesn't mean you have to eat their cuisine. People visiting the US don't have to eat steak or hamburgers for every meal - I don't, so why should a tourist? Japanese clearly don't eat Sushi, Udon, or Ramen for every meal either.

Also (and we do this all over the world in our travels) stop in a local grocery store. There's a very nice small one in the basement of Shinagawa station, but they're all over. Lets you pick exactly what you want to eat AND see how the locals really live.

Good luck in your choice and enjoy your visit!

PS: Korea is veggie heaven - they focus on fresh ingredients beautifully prepared. "Temple" restaurants are everywhere, but any restaurant other than a BBQ place will have good veggie options. [BACK TO THE TOPIC OF HOTELS IN TOKYO]
nexusCFX likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.