Search

Feather Free Room Rant

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Feather Free Room Rant

Fifth straight legacy Marriott hotel that has failed to honor my feather free room request. It's attached to my profile and I always make a special request on the app within 72 hours of arrival for extra foam pillows and a feather free room.

It's always confirmed back to me on the chat function by someone at the hotel. Then I ask again at check-in to confirm and they say "yep we've got that feather free room request taken care of."

And what do you know, fifth straight property with feather pillows sitting right on the bed.

Then I inevitably call and they say "we'll send them right up" and they either take over an hour to show up or they never show up (and I have to call 2-3 more times).

Seriously, get it together, Marriott. Never seems to be a problem at Hilton where they always seem to have 4 foam pillows on every bed and actually de-feather the room.

It's the type of annoyance that builds up and drives me away from Marriott because I end up wasting time waiting for my pillows.
Twickenham likes this.

Last edited by bdschobel; Jan 5, 2019 at 9:47 am Reason: removed masked profanity
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And again. Pre-merger they were pretty good at this I don't understand what happened -- especially when they acknowledge the request on the in-app chat within 48 hours of arrival.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm concerned when I see that the feather free room is only a request and not guaranteed.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Duke787
And again. Pre-merger they were pretty good at this I don't understand what happened -- especially when they acknowledge the request on the in-app chat within 48 hours of arrival.
Time for some service recovery points?

I also order foam pillow as I often have allergic reaction to feathers. They havent figured out how to make comfortable foam pillows in Asia. Theyre always blocks of foam instead of chipped foam.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm concerned when I see that the feather free room is only a request and not guaranteed.
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Time for some service recovery points?

I also order foam pillow as I often have allergic reaction to feathers. They havent figured out how to make comfortable foam pillows in Asia. Theyre always blocks of foam instead of chipped foam.
I emailed and Tweeted them to complain and rather than provide customer service they actually BLAMED ME They claimed they looked in my profile and didn't see a feather free room request and DM'd me the steps I need to take to select feather-free room in my preferences.

Except I can clearly see it (it's been selected along with my preference for foam pillows, a king bed, and a high floor for 7 years). Unfortunately my next stay (tomorrow) is past the cancellation deadline but might be taking my business elsewhere for the rest of the year. Bummer since LTP isn't that far off (1 more year of Plat and less than 100 more nights) but the blame the customer response is really a non-starter for me.

Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:18 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
First and most importantly, I am not doubting you and am sorry for your experiences. As someone who is married to a person who is allergic to down, I completely understand the importance of getting it right, especially when you get in late at night and the last thing you want/need to deal with is having to wait for someone swap out your bedding for you or having to use rolled up towels for pillows. That being said, I am surprised to find this thread in the Marriott Forum. Feather-Free bedding has been in my legacy Marriott Rewards profile for almost 10 years and I think my success rate has to be close to 100%; I can't remember a Marriott property where it was missed. My stays post-merger have been all feather-free. It has also been honored by former SPG properties pre- and post-merger. I also have many stays at Hilton and IHG (both of which annoyingly do not have a feather-free checkbox in their member profiles) and Hyatt. Hyatt, by far, has been the worst. I have had three stays fully refunded and many other compensation events because of failures related to bedding at Hyatt properties.

I've started using the Marriott mobile app to request extra foam pillows for my room "just in case."

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 23, 2019 at 10:34 am
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It happened to me last week at a luxury property in Asia, in fact a LC hotel in Japan. I reminded them at check in about the feather free requirement as I noticed when checking details with my reminder email a few days before arrival that the "request" had somehow disappeared from my profile and re-added it. The response was that all of the hotel's foam pillows were already in use. I said that something needed to be done since this was a medical issue, even if it was just to stuff a bunch of bath towels in a pillow case for me, in addition to removing the feather duvet. They managed to find two polyester pillows, which I prefer to foam anyway.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:29 am

I have allergies to down too. I just woke up with congestion at Boulder Marriott. Why these hotels use Down or feather anyway? Especially in US that we always set thermostat at 73?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.