Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Hotels now adding a $50 per person fee after 2 adults when booking an Award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Hotels now adding a $50 per person fee after 2 adults when booking an Award

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:14 am

My experience booking Mauna Kea hotel is that the policy is children (or in this case, child, as there's a limit of 3/room) are free if no extra bedding is needed. However, whenever I included my son in the reservation, it would add $50/night. So I just took him off the room, since we were set with 2 queens.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:42 am
alc

Review all your existing reservations!!!

A couple weeks ago, as I was reviewing all my future reservations, I noticed some of them start to show put this 3rd person charge. So, I change them to 2 people. Today, I check my reservations again and noticed a few more 3rd 3rd person charge on other reservations, And I am pretty sure they were all without this 3rd person charge initially as that had been something I watch for ever since we have our kid.

So, Marriott will modify these reservations automatically without an email to you at all, so, becareful!!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Marriott now charging for more than two adults on award stays?

Sorry if this has already been addressed somewhere...

I just booked a points stay and the rate that comes up is a "cash and points" stay of 25000 points + $46 in taxes and fees. Haven't the taxes and fees always been included in the points rate? Is this new??
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
I've been asked to pay some "occupancy" or "municipal" taxes in Europe before for award stays, but typically several euros per night.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bdw1120
I've been asked to pay some "occupancy" or "municipal" taxes in Europe before for award stays, but typically several euros per night.
This is for a one night stay at a category 4 hotel in the US... Seems odd to me.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:24 pm

Just figured out that it was an "extra person" fee (plus applicable taxes). I've never seen this before -- booking for two adults and two kids...
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Depends on the the locale and how the tax is structured. Many taxes are based on the room rate and x% of $0 is zero. Other taxes are a flat per night or stay rate which may be passed on even for a points stay.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by GBadger
Just figured out that it was an "extra person" fee (plus applicable taxes). I've never seen this before -- booking for two adults and two kids...
I recently had an award stay in Europe, there was an extra person fee for my child. On the confirmation, it stated the fee was for a 3rd adult and I called to look into it. The rep called the hotel, which stated it was only for adults and not children, and indeed I was not charged a third person fee at checkout (and I did not have to prompt them -- just in case, the rep had given me the name of the person at the hotel that confirmed the charge was not for children). YMMV.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold, National EC
Just another data point

Had a quite opposite situation just a month ago. I booked Fairfield Inn in Twentynine Palms, CA for family of four and immediately realized that I was slapped with $20 “extra person fee” ($10 per child). We usually stay at Marriott for family travel (US only, 15 nights average per year) but it was the 1st time for me seeing this extra person fee. So I canceled the reservation - mostly out of principle - and booked SHS in Victoriville with 12.5K points. No fee.

Last edited by Andykh; Mar 18, 2019 at 10:56 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:58 am

It sounds as though the fee should not be charged for children under 12 (if I'm reading the other thread correctly). As others have done, I cancelled the reservation and rebooked only for the adults.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:21 am

I have a points stay in May that I booked in Reno and it is charging me 17.5K points plus $2. My confirmation email lists the $2 as 'Estimated Government Taxes and Fees'. I tried a cash booking just now it see if it had a breakdown of those fees, but alas it does not.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:31 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
There are certain taxes that are fixed dollars and not a percentage of the rate, typically some type of tourism fee or suite upgrade tax. Although, $46 seems to be excessive.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:36 am

greedy .......s. at the very least it should be waived for any elite status level. Doubt that'll happen though.
Andykh likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold, National EC
It sounds as though the fee should not be charged for children under 12 (if I'm reading the other thread correctly). As others have done, I cancelled the reservation and rebooked only for the adults.
Yes, makes sense, as both of my children are less than 12 years old. It seems like I'm supposed to get creative with my award reservations after they turn 12
Love this "we have a policy but will not enforce it" (yet?) gray zone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.