Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
MODERATOR NOTE: While this thread exists for people to discuss the economics and merits of the Marriott strike, any discussion of the general merits of labor unions belongs in OMNI. Any posts which address other posters or characterise people using inflammatory language violates FlyerTalk Rules will be deleted without notice.

Contributions around the current atmosphere and service level at specific hotels can be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-starwood-ritz-carlton-new-consolidated-program/1916714-property-experiences-during-marriott-workers-strike-fall-2018-a-2.html
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

MODERATOR NOTE: While this thread exists for people to discuss the economics and merits of the Marriott strike, any discussion of the general merits of labor unions belongs in OMNI. Any posts which address other posters or characterise people using inflammatory language violates FlyerTalk Rules will be deleted without notice.

Contributions around the current atmosphere and service level at specific hotels can be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-2018-a-2.html

Is there any coincidence that they're mostly Starwood properties plus the Ritz? Did the rest of the heritage-Marriott brands negotiate a separate contract with their unions pre-merger?

Last edited by yosithezet; Oct 16, 2018 at 2:15 am
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:57 am

I believe those are the only Marriott unionized hotels in Boston. For example, the large Marriott Copley Place is not unionized (although the Westin that is adjacent is).

Here is local 26’s list of unionized hotels:

https://www.local26.org/boston/
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
The Element is Autograph Collection and thus Marriott side.
Ah. Does Element still exist as its own brand? I remember staying in one about 8 years ago when it was a brand new concept. There were maybe five of them. (Starwood brand.)
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:15 am
soy

Programs: various
Based on the reports, it is more of a broader issue within the industry around working conditions rather than something specific to these particular hotels. There is mention of robot housekeeping, self-service checkin, work schedule uncertainty etc.

Since MAR is the worlds biggest hotel chain, they decided to strike there, guess scale brings some downsides also
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Element is Autograph Collection and thus Marriott side.
I don't think this is correct. Element is a legacy SPG limited service extended stay brand. It earns 50% points, like RI and TPS. Element hotels are nothing like Autograph Collection is supposed to be.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think this is correct. Element is a legacy SPG limited service extended stay brand. It earns 50% points, like RI and TPS. Element hotels are nothing like Autograph Collection is supposed to be.
Sorry, you're right. I'm booked at "The Envoy Boston Waterfront." Brand confusion (which in my defense is understandable with four gazillion brands in the new program.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Brand confusion (which in my defense is understandable with four gazillion brands in the new program.
There will be a test next week where you must recite all 29 brands and the specific elite benefits associated with each, by region, and quoting any notable exceptions including the lists of hotels by brand that opt-out of benefits.

The fine print on this damn program must have generated a lot of billable hours for a sizable flock of writers, proofers, attorneys, and marketing people.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:15 pm

I often hear cries that they want a living wage and don't want to have to work for tips... yet I was recently at a Seattle property where $15/hr is min wage and housekeeping was getting paid $17+/hr... and they were still expecting tips.
Brendan and closecover like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by KRSW
I often hear cries that they want a living wage and don't want to have to work for tips... yet I was recently at a Seattle property where $15/hr is min wage and housekeeping was getting paid $17+/hr... and they were still expecting tips.
Would you clean toilets for $17/hr? ... and do backbreaking work many hours a day for the same wage?
jhartvu likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by estnet
Would you clean toilets for $17/hr? ... and do backbreaking work many hours a day for the same wage?
I've done that (and worse) for less before...and didn't complain about what I was getting paid. It was a good incentive to work smarter & harder, get some experience & education under my belt, and get a better job. Some weeks I was working 80-100 hours/week at that job.

Last edited by KRSW; Oct 4, 2018 at 12:24 am
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pinniped
There will be a test next week where you must recite all 29 brands and the specific elite benefits associated with each, by region, and quoting any notable exceptions including the lists of hotels by brand that opt-out of benefits.

The fine print on this damn program must have generated a lot of billable hours for a sizable flock of writers, proofers, attorneys, and marketing people.
Not nearly enough hours were spent on such details, or maybe the problem was that Starriott hired incompetent writers, proofreaders, lawyers, etc. for the task.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not nearly enough hours were spent on such details, or maybe the problem was that Starriott hired incompetent writers, proofreaders, lawyers, etc. for the task.
Maybe if Marriott had just paid them "a living wage", they would have done their jobs better...
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW
[/left][/left]
Maybe if Marriott had just paid them "a living wage", they would have done their jobs better...
I hope there weren't tip envelopes.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by estnet
Try working at a tire store, one of the dirtiest jobs imaginable. I've also worked at lube and oil change, clean & painted apartments (which included cleaning the toilets), ski lift build/maint, drove a tow truck (AAA and police), and other hard, menial jobs for minimum wage. That was my incentive to work on a career and better myself.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I'm pretty certain that discussing the politics of union work is out of the scope of this thread. However, I checked into the St Francis last night at like 1am (picketers were limited at this point). At first they tried to give me a 5th floor room. I balked at that a bit and was then put into a 31st floor room, thankfully (glad the Plat Premier status is doing its thing). At 7am the horns, whistles etc... started and it is noisy despite the fact that I am 31 floors and one building away from the bulk of the protest. My business partner is in another part of the hotel and is distracted. Any of the old section of the hotel on Union Square is virtually useless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.