Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Qualifying for 2019 Platinum in 2018 by [25 SPG property] stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qualifying for 2019 Platinum in 2018 by [25 SPG property] stays

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:06 pm

Great to hear you got a confirmation, I'm couple stay short of the renewal, and hopefully I can get that renewed without hassle.
I noticed that after the account combined, my stay history now is short 2 nights from the SPG AMEX card award, do any of you have the same thing happened and or are you able to get it back?

Thanks.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:19 pm

I have an email from SPG in April of this that states: ' Congratulations — you’re Platinum with SPG®. Your status is valid through February 29, 2020' I assume that this is ample evidence that I should be MR Platinum for all of 2019 regardless of the status display on my SPG or Marriott account. Haven't check them for 2 weeks, though.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA CK; Marriott Plat
I got 23 stays in SPG affiliated hotels, but my 2 stay credits from the SPG Amex are not showing in account post merger. Called SPG and they said a "research team" would investigate, and should fix in 72h. We shall see..
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I just received an email response back from Marriott customer services confirming that they were able to check my stay history in that I met the Platinum requalification requirements under the old SPG rules. They therefore confirmed that I will be Platinum until 31 January 2020.

I may need to call in January 2019 to make sure the system shows my Platinum status but at least I have an email which I can use as evidence.

I was very impressed by the quality of the contents of the email. It wasn't cookie cutter and the agent event suggested a few tips based on my next hotel stay.
Have you merged accounts?
What does your status show on you account(s...if not merged)?
Does the App mach what you show on a PC?

Passed 25 (SPG property ) Stays on 8/23. Still not recognized Plat.
Points and nights dribbled in during "cleanup"
All nights now in...waiting on on some bonus points. If they don't show up in a few days, will write and ask for the point sand status correction. Nothing changed in a week. Not expecting anything further w/out requesting.

What address did you use? [email protected] ?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I'm on my last year of qualifying for Lifetime Platinum with SPG which would get me Lifetime Platinum with the combined program (actually Lifetime Platinum Premier since I have 612 nights with SPG and 195 with MR). I do not want to screw this up so I just want to double check the following as I understand it:

FACT- I can requalify for Platinum this year (which would be Year 10 for me) as discussed above with either 25 STAYS or 50 NIGHTS with SPG

QUESTION - Could I requalify with 50 nights in the combined program (Starwood as well as Marriott nights combined) and still have this count as Year 10?

QUESTION - If I want to requalify under the old program terms, I assume I should NOT combine my accounts. Correct?

Last edited by christianj; Sep 14, 2018 at 7:10 am
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by christianj
I'm on my last year of qualifying for Lifetime Platinum with SPG which would get me Lifetime Platinum with the combined program (actually Lifetime Platinum Premier since I have 612 nights with SPG and 195 with MR). I do not want to screw this up so I just want to double check the following as I understand it:

FACT- I can requalify for Platinum this year (which would be Year 10 for me) as discussed above with either 25 STAYS or 50 NIGHTS with SPG
Yes, that is how it is supposed to work. The question really is: Will it happen automatically or will you need to call in to get manual intervention.

QUESTION - Could I requalify with 50 nights in the combined program (Starwood as well as Marriott nights combined) and still have this count as Year 10?
Interesting question, I don't recall seeing it addressed specifically. If at all possible, hit the mark with legacy SPG rules just to be safe. You have until the end of the year since SPGs moving to LTPP will not happen until they do the sweep in January.

QUESTION - If I want to requalify under the old program terms, I assume I should NOT combine my accounts. Correct?
Technically, no, from what I've been reading you do not (this is different from what I read earlier). Again, you may have to call in to get it taken care of. Be sure to keep good records of what you've done to qualify just in case the CSRs are not able to sort things out. If you do not need/want any elevated status combining your accounts will get you, leave them separate. And be sure to book all SPG stays under you SPG number just to keep everything clear (again, you should not need to, but we are dealing with MR IT so forewarned).
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I don't recall seeing it addressed specifically. If at all possible, hit the mark with legacy SPG rules just to be safe. You have until the end of the year since SPGs moving to LTPP will not happen until they do the sweep in January.
I was going to try and do 25/50 with SPG but I have 7 nights with MR this year which would help if I could use the combination of the two chains to get to the 50. I think the topic was addressed in the past from a basis of if the accounts were combined you could achieve "regular" Platinum status for the year with 50 combined nights BUT if this worked for the last year of qualifying for SPG Lifetime Platinum or not was never addressed from what I remember.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How close are you to 25 SPG stays and 50 nights this year?

Depending on your numbers, it could make sense to go for 25 SPG only stays ASAP to see that you really do get SPG Plat (and legacy SPG LTP) before it's too late to fix any problems.

Then you may want to go for 50 nights this year combined so that you get some SNAs (or another gift at the 50 night level).
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by christianj
I was going to try and do 25/50 with SPG but I have 7 nights with MR this year which would help if I could use the combination of the two chains to get to the 50. I think the topic was addressed in the past from a basis of if the accounts were combined you could achieve "regular" Platinum status for the year with 50 combined nights BUT if this worked for the last year of qualifying for SPG Lifetime Platinum or not was never addressed from what I remember.
It would seem that will work, but again, nothing to say if it would or not. If there is a possibility of making the 25 stays or 50 nights at SPG properties only, then there is no doubt.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How close are you to 25 SPG stays and 50 nights this year?

Depending on your numbers, it could make sense to go for 25 SPG only stays ASAP to see that you really do get SPG Plat (and legacy SPG LTP) before it's too late to fix any problems.

Then you may want to go for 50 nights this year combined so that you get some SNAs (or another gift at the 50 night level).
Right now I am booked up to years end to achieve 22 stays and 42 nights WITHOUT including any of my MR activity. So to be 100% certain to qualify under the old SPG 25/50 rules I would need to book at least 3 more stays to get to 25. (which is naturally something I would do to get LIFETIME status) If the MR activity can be added to achieve 50 nights I would need 2 more nights which I already have booked at MR properties where there are no SPG alternatives.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's probably not necessary, but I'm risk averse so I would try to do the three additional SPG stays ASAP, perhaps using this as an excuse for a couple fun weekend trips. You'll then automatically have the 50 nights for the first choice/gift.

IMO you should also audit your account(s) carefully and mentally cross out any stay/nights credits that could be questioned later, such as credit card or meeting credits, errors in posting, nights/stays where you didn't actually both stay and pay, multiple night/stay credits close to August, etc.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Plat, HH Dia
The new website certainly doesn't give me much confidence that Marriott will honor the 25 stays at SPG properties requalification criteria for 2018. It doesn't track stay count, not to mention any mention regarding the credit for 2 stays if you have the SPG AMEX card.

Not impressed by the "new" website and it just causes me more concern.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Take screenshots once you reach 25 stays and requalify. I also emailed SPG/Marriott to confirm my status requalification as my account was saying that I needed X more stays to requalify based on the new rules. I received a positive email response.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cooljw
The new website certainly doesn't give me much confidence that Marriott will honor the 25 stays at SPG properties requalification criteria for 2018. It doesn't track stay count, not to mention any mention regarding the credit for 2 stays if you have the SPG AMEX card.

Not impressed by the "new" website and it just causes me more concern.
Since it will only be honored for a few months, I don't see them making huge changes to make it evident. Just like they are not tracking the legacy MR or SPG rules. WE are required to track the legacy activity and make use they do the sweeps property. And I suspect there will be a lot of finger pointing to get it right. They have already started denying legacy rules apply mid-year and not acknowledging there will be sweeps to address this in January. The bumpy road is not going to be over anytime soon. :{
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Take screenshots once you reach 25 stays and requalify. I also emailed SPG/Marriott to confirm my status requalification as my account was saying that I needed X more stays to requalify based on the new rules. I received a positive email response.
- Did the respone indicate that you Are qualified to Plat (ie now, instead of Jan 2019)

- Did your staus change on either the web account or App?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.