Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Didnt see a master thread for this property so figured i would start one, but also add my review.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...achside-hotel/

Stayed at this property about two weeks ago for 5 nights. First time to Key West. I am Plat. Premier and have been before everybody was Originally, I was going to try my first SPG hotel and go with Sheraton Suites but (luckily) it was sold out so it brought me over to this hotel.

Location wise, the property sits pretty much as soon as you roll into town.

Leading up to checking in, I had to tried to use 5 SNAs for the stay. SNA options are limited to selecting only one suite type, a 2 bedroom / 2 bath garden view room which i believe put you on the bottom floor. The SNAs were declined for some reason or another but it ended up being a good thing (more on that below).

We rolled into town about 2 hours before check in time and i figured i would try my luck to see if my room was ready. Both of us were given a glass of champagne but the room was not ready yet. Long story short, we checked in an hour later. This was a points stay for a basic and tiny king room (and i had prepared myself for this). Thankfully, we were upgraded to a Gulf of Mexico view, top floor, 1 bedroom suite / 1.5 bath for our stay! This was even more surprising to me once i learned that the big key west powerboat competition was rolling into town that same week so the hotel was sold out for several days.

The rooms are phenomenal and appointed well (full kitchen, washer / dryer, etc). The suites all have balconies but since i was upgraded to the top floor, we also had a spiral staircase that went up to a second balcony that gave just a bit more views of everything going on. Id say it is probably one of the better upgrades we have scored over the years. Just looking at photos of their standard king rooms i dont think they are much beyond a standard Courtyard type room so my positivity would be tempered a bit if i received one of those.

No lounge but was given coupons for each morning for breakfast buffet in the restaurant. It is a great spread ($41 for two if you do not have coupons). All wait staff is very attentive.

Parking is around $20 a day, you park underneath whichever your building is.

We used the pool a couple of times, nothing huge but was definitely adequate. We didnt use the poolside bar service but it appeared adequate. They have at least 2 large wild lizard / iguana things that make their appearance now and then around the pool looking for food. They look pretty bad ... but seem to be harmless. The wait staff just walk up to them and nudge them with their foot and say shoo as if its a cat or dog. it be nice if they had an actual beach for swimming but i dont think any hotel on the island has one.

The hotel runs a shuttle from the lobby area to Duval Street every hour on the hour, with two stops on that street. We used that extensively. Come back mid day for a break from the sun and then go back out for the night life. Very useful for us.

We rented jet skis on the hotel grounds and they took us on a tour all around the island. it is run by a third party but was great none the less. they do have a few other water sports you can rent as well.

The only fly in the ointment, there is an ad in the room that states you can receive 2500 MR points if two eat dinner in the hotel restaurant (or get two free breakfast buffets but i already had those). At the end of the meal, i mentioned the points promo but was told you have to both have an entree (we each had a pizza and dessert, very good..i think the best ice cream i have ever had to be honest!) however without me asking the server stated he would have his manager add the points anyways. This didnt happen by checkout so I tried again with the front desk but there was a slight language barrier so i wasnt surprised this wasnt done either. I emailed the hotel rep that had emailed me prior to my stay to see if she could do it but she seems to have blown my email off. Before anyone asks, the ad in the room does not say anything about what has to be ordered (just that you have to eat dinner). We loved the hotel in every other aspect so i will probably let this go.

In the end, this property is amazing and is really a model for how other properties should execute the elite program. Finally, and hold on to your seats...somehow there is NO resort fee!

For some recommendations on what to do in Key West...Plan a day to take the ferry out to Dry Tortegas national park and take the tour and snorkel with the fish. Hemingway's house is great. Sloppy Joes is a must stop for some dinner or lunch if only for the historical aspect..the Key Lime pie place just down greene street from Sloppy Joes is a MUST do.
KRSW likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Sounds awesome. With no resort fee, I may consider, because I'm headed to Key West soon and was very deterred because every Marriott, including the Fairfield, had a "destination" fee.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:38 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Thanks for the review. I've been thinking of taking the family here for a while now, but every time I start planning something came up. Based on your review, I may have to make more of an effort next time though.

My understanding (from one of my past looks into this property) is that it originally was built to be an MVCI (timeshare) property but the market turned south before it was finished. Marriott/Owners decided to open it as a regular hotel instead. But it has lots of suites (since it was built to be a timeshare.)
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Any recent stays here? Planning a potential spring break 2021 trip and like the idea of suites. Feels like this property might be a category too high, but it looks like you can book fairly large suites with points + upgrade, so that's attractive.

2 adults 2 teenagers. Space is important. My non-Marriott option would be Hilton, but none of their KW properties get great reviews. (It seems near-universal on the HH board that the W=A does not deserve that brand.) I'd probably end up in the Doubletree but with a standard room booked and next to zero chance at a suite.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 4:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 8/8 to 8/9

Location: The hotel is located at the intersection of US 1 (Overseas Highway) and A1A about 3 miles east of downtown Key West but nicely about a mile from the airport. There's not much around the hotel except several other hotels. It's very easy to get a Uber here though.

Hotel: The hotel layout is pretty confusing when you first arrive. There are 7 buildings with rooms most of which have their own parking garage. There's a central building with check in, concierge and the main restaurants and bars. Most of the buildings surround the pool and hot tub and are connected to the "beach". I use that term loosely and if you scroll down you'll see why. As of now the pool bar is serving food for breakfast, lunch and dinner and while the main bar is closed their lounge is open for limited service.

Dining options

Hotel notices

Resort fee "benefits"

Check In: I was thanked for being Titanium but never got my welcome champagne. Oh well. I had to inquire if I was going to be paying the resort fee and only then did the check in agent remember to give the restaurant drink coupon. Despite everything going on now the resort fee of $44 is still in effect as is a daily parking charge of $25. Titanium breakfasts are suspended. I complained to the agent that I was spending nearly $70 and not getting breakfast. She promised to take it up with the manager who never contacted me.

Room: I had paid for a presidential suite as I needed office space. The room was amazing. Master bedroom with a king, second bedroom with a queen, third bedroom with twin beds. Huge master bathroom with a tub and a shower and a second bathroom with a shower. Large kitchen with stove, full sized fridge, coffee maker, cutlery and silverware, a huge living room with couch and a TV and a nice dining area. Plus a balcony with its own staircase giving you direct pool access. Do note soundproofing is bad. You'll hear every word said out at the pool.

Bedroom One

Bedroom Two

Master Bedroom

Bathroom One

Master bath

Resort: The pool itself is nice though somewhat small. The hot tub is currently closed. The staff at the pool bar were very friendly and made a very strong Pina Colada. Breakfast here was fine if nothing special. The "beach" is a joke though. It's literally a filled in hole with sand next to the parking garages. Calling the hotel "beachside" is a huge misnomer.

Overall the hotel met my purposes but the nickle and diming isn't a good feeling. The $44 resort fee is very high during COVID especially with the more limited options. The lack of breakfast is annoying too. I was on a $450 paid suite night and I didn't like the feeling of the incidental charges. Oh well.
swintec, jalves and KRSW like this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Fwiw, there is no real beach in key west, it's one big rock pile. The public beach over by the Sheraton is decent but none of the hotels have anything better than the Marriott.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 7:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Looks like this hotel has left Marriott and now the Beachside Resort and Residences
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by swintec
Fwiw, there is no real beach in key west, it's one big rock pile. The public beach over by the Sheraton is decent but none of the hotels have anything better than the Marriott.
Key Colony Beach over at Marathon does have a beach for those who are looking for one, and it's MUCH quieter than Key West.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.