Search

Qualifying charges query - spa use

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
Qualifying charges query - spa use

Hi

I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but couldn't see an answer. My understanding was that post-merger, they have simplified the qualifying charges when staying at a hotel, and most things qualify to earn points (except parking, service fees, taxes, tips etc).

I had a stay at a St Regis post-merger, and I got points for an on-site restaurant, but no points for an on-site spa. The customer service agent came back to say these are not eligible. Is this a St Regis thing? I've definitely got points for using the spa at other brands

I've checked the T&C, and spa services aren't specifically included or excluded as far as I can see. Any experience here?

Thanks
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's property-specific. If the spa is actually part of the hotel, it should count. But many spas are separate and just share the space, so they wouldn't count.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
Got it, thanks for the help
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There can be exceptions but I found spa charges are rarely eligible charges. This is across all Marriott and Hyatt brands.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by TerryK
There can be exceptions but I found spa charges are rarely eligible charges. This is across all Marriott and Hyatt brands.
That's not true. I'm not a big spa user except when on a getaway with the gf but spa charges at Marriott are usually eligible charges unless it's a third party operation. I think the rules may have been different for SPG but can't say for certain.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
This is an area where Marriott has always been more generous than SPG and is a step forward for SPGers in the programme (provided the points actually post).
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
I recently contacted Marriott to claim spa charges at a Marriott property in Malaysia. The first 2 agents said spa charges are not eligible. The 3rd agent said the same. When I questioned him about below wording from Bonvoy Earn Hotel Points page, he asked me to contact the hotel directly. The 4th agent credited the points without question.

Check in and stay at any of our more than 6,700 hotels across our extraordinary portfolio of brands — including Aloft®, W®, The Ritz-Carlton®, JW Marriott® hotels and more.
Earn for more than just your room. Earn on all eligible hotel purchases, including dining, beverages, rounds of golf, spa services and more.
You’ll earn 10 points per US$1 spent on eligible hotel charges, except at Element®, Residence Inn® and TownePlace Suites® hotels, where you’ll earn five points per eligible US$1.

I did have a look at the Terms & Conditions of the program and there is indeed no mention of spa services under eligible charges but then you have the above paragraph. Do we have an official answer?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Xiaotung

Earn for more than just your room. Earn on all eligible hotel purchases, including dining, beverages, rounds of golf, spa services and more.

I did have a look at the Terms & Conditions of the program and there is indeed no mention of spa services under eligible charges but then you have the above paragraph. Do we have an official answer?

That's the answer. It counts just as it historically has for MR properties. I just had it credit automatically with a legacy SPG international property.

Was the Malaysia property legacy Marriott or SPG? I suspect there is some hotel coding in the system. For example, in my most recent stay, I didn't get points on the tips where I did at a legacy MR property.

Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The SPG properties seem to be resistant to implementing the published Marriott policy. I did not get credit at either SGS or SR Bangkok last month, despite both properties being listed as participating.

At SGS in particular, we're talking about a substantial quantity of points.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
That's the answer. It counts just as it historically has for MR properties. I just had it credit automatically with a legacy SPG international property.

Was the Malaysia property legacy Marriott or SPG? I suspect there is some hotel coding in the system. For example, in my most recent stay, I didn't get points on the tips where I did at a legacy MR property.
The brand was Marriott, so definitely a legacy Marriott property.

In my case, it was the understanding of Bonvoy agents. Apparently they have the ability to credit points without consulting the property first. All they need is a copy of the folio.

Tips are written as being excluded as are resort fees and parking so if you do get points on these you are lucky.
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I got points for spa at :
St Regis Bali
The Ritz-Carlton Ras Al Khaimah
Al Maha Dubai (post Aug 18 merger)

I believe its property specific as Mahasamatman pointed out earlier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.