Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott CEO Asks Unhappy Members To Hold Tight, Platform Is Stabilized

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott CEO Asks Unhappy Members To Hold Tight, Platform Is Stabilized

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
@Bravada04, for missing stays and points, I have given up communicating with Marriott corporate. I now write directly to the hotels. I'm not sure what you have tried so far, but the hotels have been very responsive to my requests to date when credits go missing, and I usually get them credited within 48 hours of my request.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by yosithezet

Personally I think the IT disaster and lack of customer communications will be the highlights in the failed corporate integration case studies. The cultural differences, though significant, pale in comparison to the fiasco of the past 6 weeks.
100% agree!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by kaizen7
maybe, 40 years ago, AM/FM radio is the greatest feature a hotel can have
Or you're staying in a ~2 month old Residence Inn whose internet & TVs are down for the entire night, so the clock radio is the only form of entertainment you're getting from the hotel. At least the internet connection was up when I checked in. The guests behind me weren't so lucky.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Agreed, so what's the point of bickering over which legacy program - neither of which exists anymore - was better?
With that logic, what's the use about wishing for the old SPG or even old (2 years ago) Marriott website which worked fine? Or for proper customer service that didn't require waiting on hold for 30+ minutes? After all, those aren't with us anymore either.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HollyGlen
@Bravada04, for missing stays and points, I have given up communicating with Marriott corporate. I now write directly to the hotels. I'm not sure what you have tried so far, but the hotels have been very responsive to my requests to date when credits go missing, and I usually get them credited within 48 hours of my request.
How do you figure out how to write hotels? I had to call a hotel to fix something post a stay.

For US based people, getting the Aspire Amex card and getting Hilton Diamond is a no brainer to test out. I would defibitely try that out if in US .
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by username
I thought the Marriott website was better until they revamped it a year or two (?) ago? SPG stays posted a lot faster. For now, we just want something stable
It won't happen so fast. If you notice, currently any spg booking will still be routed to spg.com.

I was told currently Fp brands migration is on going. so expect to see duplicate reservations, one with 9 digits confirmation number and another with 8digits confirmation number.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by SHLTP
How do you figure out how to write hotels? I had to call a hotel to fix something post a stay.
Marriott provides fax numbers in the hotel information.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:12 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GrandOldTurkey
A singing telegram! O'Marrott, O'Marriott, how we wish you never bought Starwood ...
Let’s be careful here. Had Marriott not bought Starwood, Anbang would have won and purchased Starwood. And now the SPG program would be sold off for parts to the highest bidder, as Anbang is now desperate for cash.

I wish the IT had been handled better, too. But I’m willing to bet that we’re in much better shape with new loyalty benefits and oppprtunities than we’d be if Anbang has bought Starwood.
jeanie, unclepants and HollyGlen like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:14 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Mergers like this are never, ever better for the consumer.
Thats usually true. Yet they happen and will continue to happen. And sometimes they bear great fruit. For all the SPGers who cherished the SPG program, let’s not forget that it also arose from the mergers and acquisitions by Starwood Capital.
Beltway2A likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:35 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I understand the frustration of many. But I also knew the IT mess was coming. Everyone really did when we think about it. It’s just been more persistent and poorly handled than even we expected.

I said before that it was a boon for Marriott to merge systems in August 2018 rather than wait to try it in Jan 2019, the start of a brand new membership year. This is almost certainly why Marriott did it then. If you think people are running away from Marriott now, just imagine the fiasco if this were at the beginning of the year when EVERYONE is trying to qualify under new loyalty terms! At least in August, plenty of SPG and MR/RC elites already were qualified for serious elite status, and plenty more are close enough to elite goals that it encourages more to stay than leave. In Jan 2019, that wouldn’t be the case and there may have been a mass exodus.

For legacy Marriott elites, you still are getting Ambassador perks and established Plat Premier perks in this new pitiful IT universe than you were guaranteed in the old Marriott universe. The IT is a mess, but there are better benefits overall by a large stretch. Don’t forget that. It could have been worse if you had to wait until Jan 2019,

For legacy SPG elites, you still can qualify based on legacy SPG rules. The IT may not reflect your correct status through his ugly IT transition, but at least you know you will get it. Yes, the IT sucks, but the bulk of SPG hotels are still treating us in much the same way they did before. Let’s face it: the staff and management at most legacy SPG hotels are much the same today as they were prior to Aug 18.

For everyone who wants to run to Hilton and Accor and IHG, please let me encourage you! I don’t think you’re making a good choice in the long run, but I’m not in your shoes. Regardless, I think you’ll find the elite benefits and/or property portfolio pretty lacking in comparison with Marriott—especially if, like me, you prefer luxury and/or upscale properties. Their IT may work, but their customer service never was as good as that of Starwood, either. You’re running from one short term mess into perhaps longer lived ones. But your absence just makes it easier for those of us who stay.

I remember all those elites who abandoned United for American, only to abandon American for Delta, only for so many Delta elites to abandon Delta for American and United once they realized their miles were worthless and “operational efficiency” wasn’t always what it was cracked up to be.

In the end, Marriott is going to win as many or more than it loses.

I remember all those Americans claiming they’d move to Canada when so-and-so won an election. Yet the population of Cañada didn’t swell. Go figure.

Marriott bungled the IT, and Marriott bungled the response. But my post Aug 18 stays have all been wonderful (all at legacy SPG if it matters). So while annoying that the systems aren’t working as they should, my chosen hotels are still treating me just as well as they had been or otherwise would have been. My Ambassador has been spectacular in communicating with me and assisting me with the IT fiascos as much as she can, too.

People are welcome to complain, and Marriott deserves those complaints. But the hyperbole about Marriott’s impending doom because of a tiny fraction of FlyerTalkers is not moving the needle.
X-ON and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Change will only really come when it starts hurting the bottom line. All we can really do if we are unhappy is move our business to other companies that actually want it. The beauty is that the competition seems to be stepping up. Its a once a decade chance for the other players to finally break into the coveted SPG and Marriott elite circles.
ronaldko likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I understand your POV that Pepsi and BOM may be trivial, but in my circle of friends & associates they actually are two hot topics of SPG's demise.
Not only is Pepsi vs. Coke trivial, but it's a matter of personal opinion. I prefer Coke. My father always preferred Pepsi. It's a case of Marriott can't please everyone all of the time. I agree with the poster that said arguing about something that is purely a matter of preference dilutes the discussion of real issues.

If I'm the CEO of Marriott, and I hear that a huge concern for my customers is Pepsi vs. Coke, it becomes a lot easier to dismiss everything as temporary dissatisfaction due to changes imposed as part of the merger. Disgruntled SPG customers that will get over it.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:02 am

I'd be curious to know what the actual impact is. Yes, FT'ers are an outlier compared to total # of guests seen by a property, BUT I'm willing to bet that FT'ers also spend more at properties, both in stays and F&B. How many Kettles use Expedia vs. booking direct? Do the OTAs have trouble booking/displaying available rooms at Marriott when we do?

I know if the less-travelled staff in my office went to Marriott.com and then got sent to SPG.com, they'd be ringing my phone thinking their computer got hacked.

All but two of my non-Marriott stays this year have been because of Marriott's website has been down, and it's not an insignificant number.

Really, my biggest gripes with the merger has been the ever-declining Marriott.com website (which has had problems for at least a year prior to the merger), the lack of stability & usability improvements to the website, Marriott's call center turning into Comcast-levels* of service, and a complete lack of communication from marketing/execs about the issues. I don't think any of us expected things to go 100% flawlessly and are understanding...but we're 48 days into the changeover and it's nowhere near stable yet.

*Thank you to whoever used this term the other day in here. I can't remember which thread, but it's a great descriptor. I'll be using this in my work e-mails/memorandums when appropriate.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin
But my post Aug 18 stays have all been wonderful (all at legacy SPG if it matters). So while annoying that the systems aren’t working as they should, my chosen hotels are still treating me just as well as they had been or otherwise would have been. My Ambassador has been spectacular in communicating with me and assisting me with the IT fiascos as much as she can, too.

People are welcome to complain, and Marriott deserves those complaints. But the hyperbole about Marriott’s impending doom because of a tiny fraction of FlyerTalkers is not moving the needle.
Well said, a spot on posting! I had the pleasure of staying for almost 30 nights in a dozen different properties since the integration and while there were IT hiccups (points posting only an average of 10 nights after the stay, App not available for booking...), I have experienced exceptional service at the properties in getting those IT problems/benefit questions fixed. There was only one negative experience during all those nights and that was a legacy SPG property, the Four Points Miami Beach which was disgusting and filthy and extremely poor service.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
The title of the Skift article was "Marriott CEO to Unhappy Loyalty Members: ‘Hang With Us". It appears the consensus from this thread is that there are many who have complaints against Marriott for corporate customer service, poor IT, Marriott being Marriott, and some other recent changes. Despite that, it seems that most intend to both complain about Marriott AND "hang with" Marriott simultaneously during this period which could be indefinite. Sorenson is getting his wish.
tfong007 and allset2travel like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by conde
Despite that, it seems that most intend to both complain about Marriott AND "hang with" Marriott simultaneously during this period which could be indefinite. Sorenson is getting his wish.
Well, it can't be indefinite. Example: I booked two hotel rooms this morning. I first tried to book through Marriott, but could not log in to either the site or the app. I booked the rooms with Hilton. If it's indefinite, then I'll keep booking more and more rooms with Hilton, and may eventually stop trying Marriott as my first choice. Having LTPP and a stash of points means I'm not going to permanently abandon them, but the merger and Marriott's callous disregard for how their customers were impacted has definitely caused me to elevate other brands (Hilton, mainly, but a little Hyatt too) to "primary" whereas before Marriott would have been primary and those other brands secondary.

It's less of a "hang with" and more of a temporary hiatus. But I can also see people who have a lot less that LTPP status simply moving on and not coming back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.