Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chase Marriott (Bold, Boundless, Bountiful, Ritz) Upgrade/Downgrade Considerations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Marriott (Bold, Boundless, Bountiful, Ritz) Upgrade/Downgrade Considerations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

With three cards available to apply to, and one additional card available for upgrade, I figure we could use a dedicated thread for this.

I am under Chase 5/24 soon, and plan to apply for a Marriott card. I also currently hold the Amex Bonvoy Brilliant card.

Currently, the no-fee Chase Bold card offers a 100K sign up bonus, and the $95 fee Chase Boundless card offers a $125K sign up bonus. I see little difference between them, and I would continue to put my Marriott spend on Amex, so I the card choice itself doesn't mean much to me. I am wondering, though, how Chase treats upgrades and the free Marriott night the cardholder is supposed to earn after renewal. The question is:

Once your card anniversary hits and you upgrade a Chase Marriott card, do you get the Marriott certificate of the card you had or the card you upgrade to?

I plan to upgrade my Chase Marriott card to the Ritz in 2024. If you get the free night of the card you upgrade to, I may go ahead and just get the Bold. If it is based on the card you held at anniversary, I would likely get the Boundless to at least get a 35K cert.

Any history on this? I feel like this and similar questions will be asked more given all of the available cards nowadays
Old Jun 13, 2023, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Adelphos
With three cards available to apply to, and one additional card available for upgrade, I figure we could use a dedicated thread for this.

I am under Chase 5/24 soon, and plan to apply for a Marriott card. I also currently hold the Amex Bonvoy Brilliant card.

Currently, the no-fee Chase Bold card offers a 100K sign up bonus, and the $95 fee Chase Boundless card offers a $125K sign up bonus. I see little difference between them, and I would continue to put my Marriott spend on Amex, so I the card choice itself doesn't mean much to me.
It's going to matter a lot if you continue to hold the Brilliant card. You are ineligible to get the SUB for the Bountiful while still holding a Brilliant.

https://frequentmiler.com/marriott-card-eligible/

(Basically you should be following the FM chart if you're questing for an RC card.)

https://creditcards.chase.com/travel...nvoy/bountiful

(open the offer and you'll see)

The new cardmember bonus is not available to you if (1) you currently have or had any of the following cards within the last 30 days, (2) you applied and were approved for any of the following cards within the last 90 days, or (3) you received a new cardmember bonus or upgrade bonus for any of the following cards within the last 24 months: Marriott Bonvoy®American Express®Card, Starwood Preferred Guest®Credit Card from American Express, Marriott Bonvoy Business®American Express®Card, Starwood Preferred Guest®Business Credit Card from American Express, Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant®American Express®Card, Starwood Preferred Guest®American Express Luxury Card, Marriott Bonvoy BevyAmerican Express®Card.
Contrast with the Boundless:

https://secure05ea.chase.com/web/oao/application/card

The new cardmember bonus is not available to you if (1) you currently have or had any of the following cards within the last 30 days: Marriott Bonvoy® American Express® Card, The Starwood Preferred Guest®Credit Card from American Express; or if (2) you applied and were approved for any of the following cards within the last 90 days or (3) received a new cardmember bonus or upgrade bonus for any of the following cards within the last 24 months: Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card, Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express, Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card, Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card, Marriott Bonvoy Bevy™ American Express®Card.
Basically the optimal path to an RC card starting from zero Chase while holding a Brilliant is via the Boundless. (You can't downgrade to the $95 AMEX, but you could cancel it or downgrade to a Bevy... though I am not sure why you'd do that unless you were funneling a ton of Marriott stays through your card.)

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 13, 2023 at 2:16 pm
Old Jun 13, 2023, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Talking

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's going to matter a lot if you continue to hold the Brilliant card. You are ineligible to get the SUB for the Bountiful while still holding a Brilliant.

https://frequentmiler.com/marriott-card-eligible/

(Basically you should be following the FM chart if you're questing for an RC card.)

https://creditcards.chase.com/travel...nvoy/bountiful

(open the offer and you'll see)

Contrast with the Boundless:

https://secure05ea.chase.com/web/oao/application/card

Basically the optimal path to an RC card starting from zero Chase while holding a Brilliant is via the Boundless. (You can't downgrade to the $95 AMEX, but you could cancel it or downgrade to a Bevy... though I am not sure why you'd do that unless you were funneling a ton of Marriott stays through your card.)
It's so confusing with all of the Bs

I was focusing on the no-fee Bold, not the mid-range Bountiful.

I believe I can get both
1) A Bold or Bountiful sign-up bonus
2) And an AMEX Bevy bonus

If I apply for the Amex and Chase cards at the same time, but no one has tested that - I will next month.

After that I am basically done with Marriott sign up bonuses, so that's not really my concern. My bigger concern (as I voiced in the OP) is how the annual free nights are impacted by upgrading and downgrading

Last edited by Adelphos; Jun 13, 2023 at 3:09 pm Reason: Corrected some info on the Bold
Old Jun 13, 2023, 3:47 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
My understanding is that you can't upgrade the Bold to the Ritz card.
eponymous_coward and Adelphos like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 3:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
IMO this fits under Chase Marriott Bonvoy Cards, 2019 to present which is confusingly in the Chase forum while the Amex cards are in the Marriott forum.

This post may be helpful: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35317652-post558.html

Thanks for trying out the multi signup bonus.

Why are you interested in the Bevy? IMO the card is worthless outside of SUB I guess...
eponymous_coward and Boraxo like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
My understanding is that you can't upgrade the Bold to the Ritz card.
from ritz wiki https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35290201-post543.html
Old Jun 13, 2023, 3:57 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by gudugan
Ah, I had not seen that thread - assumed it would not be a 3-day timer for the mid-step.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 4:33 pm

The relationship between Chase and AMEX for these Bonvoy cards sure is confusing.

Wanted to clarify one thing.... based on the chart link above, if one was to downgrade an AMEX to the $95 Bonvoy card, that would effectively lock them out of ALL the Chase card SUBs?
Old Jun 13, 2023, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
The relationship between Chase and AMEX for these Bonvoy cards sure is confusing.

Wanted to clarify one thing.... based on the chart link above, if one was to downgrade an AMEX to the $95 Bonvoy card, that would effectively lock them out of ALL the Chase card SUBs?
Yup, that's right.

I found something interesting, the Chase Bountiful isn't even listed on the Marriott site https://www.marriott.com/credit-cards.mi, only the Bevy.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 5:24 pm

I've had the Brilliant for years and just got the Boundless so I can have a Visa card that I want to use besides my WOH card. The SUB and 35K annual cert made it a no brainer for $95. I'm still considering getting the Bountiful next year as I could use it for my Marriott stays, hit the 15K for the 50K cert, and get an extra 1K for each of my 100+ 1-night stays. It would also work as a 4X card for international dining that needs Visa. Then, I could upgrade my Boundless to a RC card after a year to get another 85K.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 7:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
I hold the low-end Amex card. If I understand correctly, I cannot get a SUB for the Chase Bold or Boundless, but I can still get the card. Yes?

Never mind, I see examples of people here doing just that. D'oh.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; Jun 21, 2023 at 9:15 pm Reason: never mind
Old Jun 21, 2023, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
This is great news! I thought I had to dump all my Amex Marriott cards before applying for any of the Chase Marriott cards. But apparently not...

And I trust this holds true for current Bevy cardholders as well as Brilliant? (Ack, never mind, P2 received an Upgrade Bonus for that one a few months ago...)

Does the clock start on the 24-month rule from the date of the card approval or the date on which the SUB posted??

Last edited by Boraxo; Jun 21, 2023 at 5:26 pm
Old Jun 30, 2023, 7:31 am
Original Poster

I still don't think I have seen an answer to this question:

For the Chase Boundless card, you can get a free night certificate after the 1 year anniversary of holding the card. If you immediately upgrade to the Ritz at the 1 year anniversary, do you get a 35K cert or an 85K certificate?
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:24 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Adelphos

For the Chase Boundless card, you can get a free night certificate after the 1 year anniversary of holding the card. If you immediately upgrade to the Ritz at the 1 year anniversary, do you get a 35K cert or an 85K certificate?
I downgraded and still got my 85K certificate. Thus, I would expect the reverse would be true and you would get the 35K cert.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I downgraded and still got my 85K certificate. Thus, I would expect the reverse would be true and you would get the 35K cert.
Hmm. So I have to wait until 2025 to get an 85K cert if I apply for Boundless than upgrade to Ritz (and pay a $95 fee this year, a $450 fee in 2024 and a $450 fee in 2025)? Is it really worth it 🤔

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.