Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Orange Co., CA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold

Are there any Marriott or Starwood hotels in or near Orange County that are on or very near a nice beach (for lying on the beach and maybe a little walking...boardwalk would be nice but just a bonus...not really necessary)? Doing a few days at Disneyland and thought it'd be worthwhile to take a day out of that and do a beach day (with middle school-ish kids). Huntington Beach seems nice, but there don't seem to be any hotels very close. Newport Beach seems more fancy than probably what we need. We'll be staying much closer to Disney for a few days, and just need it close enough so one of the days we can drive to Disney. TIA for any recommendations or suggestions.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Nothing on the sand AFAIK. There's a Marriott in Dana Point that's not too far. There's both a Hyatt and Hilton on PCH in Huntingon Beach. There are quite a few independent properties in Laguna Beach.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:05 pm

Disneyland to Newport or Huntington Beach is really not that far. I don't think there is any nice on the beach Marriott or SPG hotels near by, so just drive to the beach and back would be better. There is a Marriott near Balboa Island but I don't think it is walking distance to Newport. If you could stay at Hilton or Hyatt, there are both of those at Huntington Beach just cross the PCH and they are both very nice. Or you could go all the way down to Ritz Carlton down the coast, but it is like 30+ min drive. If I were you, I will just take a day trip and drive to Laguna Beach, spent the day/evening and back to your hotel near Disneyland.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
You might want to google Marriott's "Newport Coast Villas" timeshares. Rentals may be pricey, but location is great.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Laguna Cliffs Marriott in Dana Point is lovely and right across from the harbor, which is adjacent to Doheny State Beach. Its an easy walk from the hotel.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
The Lido (Autograph Collection) is within walking distance (a couple blocks) of Newport Beach. But I'm not sure its a family-friendly hotel.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Lido House, Autograph Collection in Newport Beach is just a few blocks from the beach. It's new, and I don't know much about it. The last time I was there, it was still Newport Beach City Hall, but that building was razed for the new-build hotel.

I like Marriott's Newport Villas very much. It's between Newport Beach and Laguna Beach. All rooms are 2-bedroom/2-bathroom condos, so it's great for families. Many, but not all, rooms have a full or partial ocean view. There a shuttle bus to Crystal Cove Beach, where the historic district takes you back in time to the first half of the 20th century.
sinfonia likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Need
Disneyland to Newport or Huntington Beach is really not that far. I don't think there is any nice on the beach Marriott or SPG hotels near by, so just drive to the beach and back would be better. There is a Marriott near Balboa Island but I don't think it is walking distance to Newport. If you could stay at Hilton or Hyatt, there are both of those at Huntington Beach just cross the PCH and they are both very nice. Or you could go all the way down to Ritz Carlton down the coast, but it is like 30+ min drive. If I were you, I will just take a day trip and drive to Laguna Beach, spent the day/evening and back to your hotel near Disneyland.
I completely agree about the Hilton or Hyatt Huntington Beach if you have that option. Otherwise, Lido House (the Marriott on Balboa Peninsula) is definitely in Newport Beach and a quick bike ride to the beach or even a nice maybe 15 minute walk to the pier. Also, they have a shuttle that drops you at the beach. Also agree with the Ritz and spending a day in Laguna.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by 1st Cav Vet
You might want to google Marriott's "Newport Coast Villas" timeshares. Rentals may be pricey, but location is great.
Honestly, if you go last minute in the middle of September, prepared for $900ish rates, but if you plan ahead and don't go at completely PEAK times like Memorial Day weekend, you can get a villa in the $200ish to $300ish range.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:45 pm

By the way, there is a similar discussion going on here - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...l#post30226608.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:51 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
OC resident here.

As mentioned, the only true beachfront Marriott is the RC Laguna Niguel (just south of Dana Point). Your next best bet for best ocean views likely is the Marriott Newport Coast Villas, but it’s not beachfront. The Montage Laguna Beach is a rare beachfront property, but the beach, while very dramatic, is rather small and can be quite crowded. Even the Resort at Pelican Hill is across PCH from the beach (even a bit farther than from the nearby Newport Coast Villas).

Everything else in the Marriott portfolio is either harborfront (Lido House Newport Beach or Laguna Cliffs Marriott in Dana Point) or located across PCH from the beach (Marriott Newport Coast Villas).

You also can consider the Marriott Newport Beach located next to the Fashion Island shopping center, as it’s just a 10-15 min drive to the main Newport beaches or harbor or the Crystal Cove state beach near the Newport Coast Villas.

You also can consider the Marriott Newport Beach Bayview...which has views of the back bay estuary but still is a 10-15 min drive to the closest of the Newport beaches or Crystal Cove.

I also highly recommend spending at least a day walking around and/or at the beach in Laguna Beach (different from Laguna Niguel, which is another 10-15 min drive south). It’s one of the most charming beachfront towns in SoCal, even if it’s toruisty as hell over summer. It really clears out in mid Sept through the beginning of May or June. But lots of great restaurants, galleries, and hillside views. And a nice beach. If you love Laguna and don’t mind stepping outside Marriott or any chains, the Surf and Sand is beachfront and is quite pleasant.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 21, 2018 at 10:08 am
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:18 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin
OC resident here.

As mentioned, the only true beachfront Marriott is the RC Laguna Niguel (just south of Dana Point). Your next best bet for best ocean views likely is the Marriott Newport Coast Villas, but it’s not beachfront. The Montage Laguna Beach is a rare beachfront property, but the beach, while very dramatic, is rather small and can be quite crowded. Even the Resort at Pelican Hill is across PCH from the beach (even a bit farther than from the nearby Newport Coast Villas).

Everything else in the Marriott portfolio is either harborfront (Lido House Newport Beach or Laguna Cliffs Marriott in Dana Point) or located across PCH from the beach (Marriott Newport Coast Villas).

You also can consider the Marriott Newport Beach located next to the Fashion Island shopping center, as it’s just a 10-15 min drive to the main Newport beaches or harbor or the Crystal Cove state beach near the Newport Coast Villas.

You also can consider the Marriott Newport Beach Bayview...which has views of the back bay estuary but still is a 10-15 min drive to the closest of the Newport beaches or Crystal Cove.

I also highly recommend spending at least a day walking around and/or at the beach in Laguna Beach (different from Laguna Niguel, which is another 10-15 min drive south). It’s one of the most charming beachfront towns in SoCal, even if it’s toruisty as hell over summer. It really clears out in mid Sept through the beginning of May or June. But lots of great restaurants, galleries, and hillside views. And a nice beach. If you love Laguna and don’t mind stepping outside Marriott or any chains, the Surf and Sand is beachfront and is quite pleasant.
We are part time OC residents- one son in Laguna Beach, one in Laguna Hills - here almost weekly—and bhrubin has nailed it.

We have stayed at all of the hotels he mentioned except Lido which our son just tried and loved. Without kids I would choose the Ritz Carlton- with kids I would choose Newport Coast Villas- it is really set up for families with full kitchens, washer & dryers in each unit- 2BR 2 BA- great pool- arcade - movie theater- game room. Some rooms (we always request) have ocean views. After you stay there you will probably receive an offer for a way reduced vacation rate if you attend a time share presentation.

If you do visit Laguna Beach I highly recommend a trip to Thousand Steps Beach (my favorite). Without a key to the private gate you will need to walk down (and back up) a long staircase (which feels like a thousand steps). The beach is amazing and usually not crowded- you can google instructions because it is hard to find. (See below) My second favorite beach is Victoria- also lovely but tricky to find parking.

https://californiathroughmylens.com/...s-beach-laguna

http://www.lagunapages.com/beach/thousand/thousand.asp

bhrubin and sinfonia like this.

Last edited by damon88; Sep 21, 2018 at 3:42 pm
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Thanks BHR and Damon for your comments.

Always looking for the elusive SoCal hotel on the beach ....
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:28 pm

Depending on time of year, I'd suggest renting a house on Balboa Peninsula (West Newport Beach). For a family I think this is better than any hotel option you'll find in the area. I live in Newport and this is undoubtedly what I'd do if I didn't live here and was visiting the area with family. During the peak summer everything is pretty strict Saturday - Saturday rental, but there is flexibility outside of mid-June to end of August. You have the boardwalk and beach at your doorstep with lots of walkable restaurants. So that'd check a couple of your boxes. Plus the drive to Disneyland isn't bad if avoiding peak traffic times. Burr White is the largest property management company in the area, but there are lots of others and private rentals. I realize this isn't a Marriott/SPG recommendation, but I do think it's the best option for a family vacation in the area.
sinfonia likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
As the OP, I just want to thank everyone for your input! All really helpful and I really appreciate everyone's thoughts! Our trip is just over two weeks away and I wish I asked for this sort of advice earlier, but as we got closer to the trip, I began to realize that two full days of Disneyland craziness could probably sate my kids and that they'd really like enjoying some real SoCal experiences too. Just surprising how few on/near the beach Marriott options there are in all of LA/Orange County!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.