FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Orange Co., CA
View Single Post
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:18 pm
damon88

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin
OC resident here.

As mentioned, the only true beachfront Marriott is the RC Laguna Niguel (just south of Dana Point). Your next best bet for best ocean views likely is the Marriott Newport Coast Villas, but it’s not beachfront. The Montage Laguna Beach is a rare beachfront property, but the beach, while very dramatic, is rather small and can be quite crowded. Even the Resort at Pelican Hill is across PCH from the beach (even a bit farther than from the nearby Newport Coast Villas).

Everything else in the Marriott portfolio is either harborfront (Lido House Newport Beach or Laguna Cliffs Marriott in Dana Point) or located across PCH from the beach (Marriott Newport Coast Villas).

You also can consider the Marriott Newport Beach located next to the Fashion Island shopping center, as it’s just a 10-15 min drive to the main Newport beaches or harbor or the Crystal Cove state beach near the Newport Coast Villas.

You also can consider the Marriott Newport Beach Bayview...which has views of the back bay estuary but still is a 10-15 min drive to the closest of the Newport beaches or Crystal Cove.

I also highly recommend spending at least a day walking around and/or at the beach in Laguna Beach (different from Laguna Niguel, which is another 10-15 min drive south). It’s one of the most charming beachfront towns in SoCal, even if it’s toruisty as hell over summer. It really clears out in mid Sept through the beginning of May or June. But lots of great restaurants, galleries, and hillside views. And a nice beach. If you love Laguna and don’t mind stepping outside Marriott or any chains, the Surf and Sand is beachfront and is quite pleasant.
We are part time OC residents- one son in Laguna Beach, one in Laguna Hills - here almost weekly—and bhrubin has nailed it.

We have stayed at all of the hotels he mentioned except Lido which our son just tried and loved. Without kids I would choose the Ritz Carlton- with kids I would choose Newport Coast Villas- it is really set up for families with full kitchens, washer & dryers in each unit- 2BR 2 BA- great pool- arcade - movie theater- game room. Some rooms (we always request) have ocean views. After you stay there you will probably receive an offer for a way reduced vacation rate if you attend a time share presentation.

If you do visit Laguna Beach I highly recommend a trip to Thousand Steps Beach (my favorite). Without a key to the private gate you will need to walk down (and back up) a long staircase (which feels like a thousand steps). The beach is amazing and usually not crowded- you can google instructions because it is hard to find. (See below) My second favorite beach is Victoria- also lovely but tricky to find parking.

https://californiathroughmylens.com/...s-beach-laguna

http://www.lagunapages.com/beach/thousand/thousand.asp

Last edited by damon88; Sep 21, 2018 at 3:42 pm