Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton credit card no longer the heaviest, thickest in the market

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

I know this sounds like a total first world problem, but I received a replacement Ritz-Carlton co-branded Visa Infinite credit card the other day after my previous card was lost.

The new card is much, much thinner and barely heavier or thicker than Chase's standard issue credit cards. For a nearly $500 annual fee, it feels cheap.

One of the things I liked about my old card was its unique weight and thickness.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
That’s unfortunate. I got an AU card a month ago and it was the same as usual, so this is pretty recent. How is the card constructed? Chase’s other cards are a thin metal part that is laminated with plastic on both sides, but the Ritz is (was) just metal.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Probably using the same material as the flimsy (maybe temp) SPG Luxury AmEx
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I don't really like the heft of my RC card. It got stuck in a parking meter within a couple of days of my starting to use it last year! I learned not to use it in parking meters or anything where the card goes in almost completely. Of course after the bonus spend was done, I only use it for Marriott reservations and airline incidentals anyway so I don't carry it around.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:58 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

RC always has the real metal card and the replacement plastic card. The plastic is just the common plastic, no metal at all. Some people do not want to carry the heavy metal and can request the duplicate plastic. Since RC CC is not taking applications, Chase may have some supply issue. I do not know if this is just temporary or for real. My card still gets years to go.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by ehallison
It got stuck in a parking meter within a couple of days of my starting to use it last year! I learned not to use it in parking meters or anything where the card goes in almost completely.
Got my Amex Platinum stuck in a self service parking garage exit. Tons of fun waiting for someone to come from the office and fish it out for me.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:57 pm

I closed my Ritz account a while back, but cannot bear to part with that heavy, impressive card.

It's a practical issue: if my car's ever stuck in the mud I could use the card to pry it out.

Last edited by dmax801; Sep 13, 2018 at 7:43 pm
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally! It is beyond me why anyone needs that heavy piece of steel as cc - it draws completely unnecessary attention...

it also slides out of wallet if help upside down adds weight to it and the other day it triggered metal detector alarm at the airport (i am not kidding)
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:06 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by azepine00
Finally! It is beyond me why anyone needs that heavy piece of steel as cc - it draws completely unnecessary attention...

it also slides out of wallet if help upside down adds weight to it and the other day it triggered metal detector alarm at the airport (i am not kidding)
This is what makes it special. This is all expected. You can certainly carry backup plastic one. Just ask and Chase will be happy to send you one.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Confirmed with JPMorgan that there will be no more metal cards sent out. Guess I'd better be careful not to lose it.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:47 pm

I just got the Ritz Carlton card today as a new customer.

I product changed from my Marriott Premier Rewards + card and got a card that is similar in construction to my original Marriott card and my CSR.
I would've liked to have seen and felt the original RC metal card, but it can also be an unnecessary distraction when using it in public.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ritz-carlton/1929942-data-point-only-successful-product-change-marriott-premier-ritz-carlton.html
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
I just got the Ritz Carlton card today as a new customer.

I product changed from my Marriott Premier Rewards + card and got a card that is similar in construction to my original Marriott card and my CSR.
I would've liked to have seen and felt the original RC metal card, but it can also be an unnecessary distraction when using it in public.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ritz...z-carlton.html
It impressed the female waitresses.

Does anyone know if there's a competing card with the same heavy weight as the old card?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

Does anyone know if there's a competing card with the same heavy weight as the old card?
The closest one that comes to mind is the Amex Platinum.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:59 am

I know this sounds like a total first world problem, but I received a replacement Ritz-Carlton co-branded Visa Infinite credit card the other day after my previous card was lost.

The new card is much, much thinner and barely heavier or thicker than Chase's standard issue credit cards. For a nearly $500 annual fee, it feels cheap.

One of the things I liked about my old card was its unique weight and thickness.
I posted about this a couple of weeks ago as well. It is an unfortunate change. Those few who didn't want the heavy card always had the plastic card as an option.

This was response from Chase was:
I regret that the full metal card design is no longer available on this account. Hence, the embedded metal cards were sent to you. I apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Marriott/Ritz/SPG no longer have a stand out card (neither full metal, nor good points earn on everyday purchase). It's a pity. They do make note of complaints from people who call in/write to them. But I don't know if Marriott will listen in the end.

J.P. Morgan Reserve would the most similar, but you need to have 10 million with their private bank.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

First world problem? I don't think it qualifies as a "problem" at all. It's a credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.