Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Received a gift from a hotel staff and later got an email for a positive review on TA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Received a gift from a hotel staff and later got an email for a positive review on TA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I just don't get why the hotel is so desperate for a TA review. There are tons of fake TA reviews and I have actually posted review on TA with exactly my words and they were not published - both 5 stars and 1 star reviews. Once I actually wrote a fake 5* review to see the credibility of TA (a hotel that sucked in many ways and they rejected my 1* review with pictures), nope, it went through, I was so disappointed. I actually cancelled my TA account because of that!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: Marriott LTS
Originally Posted by SP03
I’m currently traveling in Asia and was really surprised by how often I get asked to specifically mention names on TA reviews. Even at a St Regis, the housekeeping who proactly helped me to bring luggage from the room door to the elevator asked me to mention her. On one hand I was grateful for her proactive help. But asked being asked for the mention, it just cheapens the experience a little.
I was recently at the Tambo del inka LC resort in Peru and the waitress in the bar there said she has to have 4 reviews in TA mentioning her every month. I did write a review on TA because her service was very good - but I was very surprised by this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nacho
I just don't get why the hotel is so desperate for a TA review. There are tons of fake TA reviews and I have actually posted review on TA with exactly my words and they were not published - both 5 stars and 1 star reviews. Once I actually wrote a fake 5* review to see the credibility of TA (a hotel that sucked in many ways and they rejected my 1* review with pictures), nope, it went through, I was so disappointed. I actually cancelled my TA account because of that!
It's inappropriate for the hotel to pester you or spam your email account for a review. This would make me question whether I wish to return to that property. It also seems desperate.
Jon Maiman likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Like another poster I'm now used to being asked for these reviews -- and even specifically being bribed for one. Both from hotels and other agencies. I went to a small local museum once that said TripAdvisor changed their rating system so its now much more weighted towards those that have LOTS of reviews, not just a place that has a bunch of 4 and 5 star reviews. When I browse TripAdvisor I am looking for both (ie 2 or 3 5* and nothing else doesn't tell me anything) but I can see why they are so desperate for it.

One vendor in Columbia that took my wife and I around time messaged me five times. That particular time its because my wife enjoyed the itinerary and enthusiastically told the vendor that she was going to leave a review when we were leaving and had left our cash tip. I had more mixed feelings so I didn't want to hurt the guy's profile with a true review, so decided to say nothing. Of course, my wife has NEVER left a review, good or bad, in her life, and will never do so ... but my email was on the reservation so every week.. hey.. can you leave that review... hey.. please...

On the flip side of the review plate I got some cold food from GrubHub once, commented that to them, and had no idea that my reviews were publicly posted (they didn't say they would be) and sent back to the company, which elicited a snippy response from the vendor, both of which are now publicly posted (and I don't even know how to 'retract it'). Makes me want to use GrubHub even less.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I have left TA reviews for the last decade or so. I do dislike the constant whining for reviews or “10” ratings on hotel satisfaction surveys.

Unless I’m bored, and in a reviewin’ mood, I leave reviews for places I love or hate. So, they might not like my review if the pester me too much. I have a high TA rating, so a review tends to stand out.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:04 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
To me I see nothing wrong in the hotel / lounge emailing asking for a review. Where it goes badly wrong is the mention of the gift in the email, that to me makes the gift more akin to blackmail and actually removes any good thought I would have about the gift and its intentions.

Do a review and mention the gift and the email, let people make their own minds up. The hotel may change strategy then somewhat.

​​​​
What makes it "akin to blackmail?" I could see a comparison to being a bribe (though not a very good one), but what do you think the hotel is threatening OP's husband with here?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
What makes it "akin to blackmail?" I could see a comparison to being a bribe (though not a very good one), but what do you think the hotel is threatening OP's husband with here?
If he posts a negative review whats the betting the treatment wont be as good the next time he goes back! For that matter if he doesnt post a review at all! I have no problem with a polite request for a review on tripadvisor but the way this request is shaped is very different. Firstly they say they need the feedback, they go on to say 'share your delightful' feedback and telling them the hotel has 'famed hospitality'. It is all framed by being reminded in the first line about the small gift!

It is overall quite forceful and leading and as such to me it appears like if you dont leave a review or left anything negative it is pretty safe to say the hotel will not appreciate that and you won't be getting the same 'small gift' or famed hospitality next time you stay!

I have to say upon reading it a second time I dislike it more than I did first time round, really is quite crude.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
If he posts a negative review whats the betting the treatment wont be as good the next time he goes back! For that matter if he doesnt post a review at all! I have no problem with a polite request for a review on tripadvisor but the way this request is shaped is very different. Firstly they say they need the feedback, they go on to say 'share your delightful' feedback and telling them the hotel has 'famed hospitality'. It is all framed by being reminded in the first line about the small gift!

It is overall quite forceful and leading and as such to me it appears like if you dont leave a review or left anything negative it is pretty safe to say the hotel will not appreciate that and you won't be getting the same 'small gift' or famed hospitality next time you stay!

I have to say upon reading it a second time I dislike it more than I did first time round, really is quite crude.
I'm don't think you understand what blackmail is. From the post above, the only thing he got above what he was entitled to was a small box of chocolates and "some craft things". There's been no indication he was told he won't get his regularly scheduled corporate or elite benefits should he choose to leave a bad review or leave no review at all. There's certainly nothing even approaching the realm of anything that could be even generously described as "blackmail."
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I'm don't think you understand what blackmail is. From the post above, the only thing he got above what he was entitled to was a small box of chocolates and "some craft things". There's been no indication he was told he won't get his regularly scheduled corporate or elite benefits should he choose to leave a bad review or leave no review at all. There's certainly nothing even approaching the realm of anything that could be even generously described as "blackmail."
This is FT not a criminal investigation, I am fully aware of the dictionary term blackmail, I am also aware words can be used in various context to suggest / illustrate different things and in this case in my opinion the gifts are fine, but the way the email was worded made it very clear the hotel wanted something in return for these items! I never suggested for a second he would not recieve his elite benifits or possible corp rate, but its very easy for these things to be delivered and you still have avery poor stay or the extra service delivered previousy not happen anymore. In my opinion (which I accept others will disagree with) the email makes it clear they expect a very good review on TA for these things and as such don't do it dont expect the extra tuoches next time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.