Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott platinum for United 1-Ks!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Seems this will hugely inflate the Plat ranks since anyone with UA*G, which is a huge number of people, will be plat through 2019.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by zap7
NOW HERE IS THE DEAL:
The more platinums, the less suite upgrades (and upgrades to other "nicer rooms") available to "real platinums".
If they give platinum for 50 nights now, let them do it. I'D vote for 60 (and premier at 80), but as long as they cut the excess credit card nights, ok.
But if they match everyone and their dog, than it really becomes worthless.
At the risk of getting lots of hate - I actually appreciate the model that AA switched to where upgrade priority is based on annual spend within the same tiers. Of course harder to do with hotels, but all the overnight upgrades that happen (or used to happen at SPG?) could be handled like that
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
Seems this will hugely inflate the Plat ranks since anyone with UA*G, which is a huge number of people, will be plat through 2019.
No it won't since they had Gold previously and Old Gold is basically New Plat. In fact it will "deflate" once they are dropped to new Gold in 2019
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
They need to give United Gold to Marriott Platinum Premiers
MSPeconomist and JBord like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
GS would be better then maybe I'd fly the airline that beats up their passengers.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:06 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
The big devaluation next February will be no more lounge access for those who get status via United. That's sufficient reason for me and many others to switch their stays away from Marriott. I hope Marriott realize what they're doing....
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Why couldn't they just downgrade them to Gold now like they did to their own matched SPG Golds?
Because they were previous Marriott Golds and followed the same exact path as all legacy/long-term Marriott Golds.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by ryan182
Everyone who was UA*G in 2018, 2017, 2016, etc. was at the equivalent (50 nights) of the old Marriott program. So this will not change the number of UA members accessing MR 50 night status benefits that have been in place for years. They will be in the exact same cohort of legacy Marriott members as they have been for years.

In 2019, changes will hugely deflate the number of UA members at the 50-night benefit level.

(I'm pretty sure that if I gave some people 2 quarters for their 5 dimes, they'd complain that they got ripped off because 2 is obviously less than 5.)
wsommerv and JBord like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1P
The big devaluation next February will be no more lounge access for those who get status via United. That's sufficient reason for me and many others to switch their stays away from Marriott. I hope Marriott realize what they're doing....
Not that your stays aren't important because all $ matter to hotels. But the risk they're taking is losing customers who can't get 50 nights per year combined through paid stays, promotions, credit cards, etc. and only get it through UA status. I get nearly 25 every year from non-paid stays (I'm PPE). My guess is they're willing to take the risk that some small percentage of those UA customers take their <25 nights somewhere else. And yes, I know I'm generalizing and over-simplifying.

Again, one would hope they understand the $ they might lose. 25 nights at a Courtyard is not the same as 25 nights at a JW.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is what was done at the beginning of the partnership between MR and UA, when PP was an unpublished invitation only level with spend requirements (so that it was arguably similar to GS in the UA world). It would certainly seem much more fair.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Maybe in 2020 when the ranks have been thinned out from people achieving PP through meeting nights and credit card nights.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Maybe in 2020 when the ranks have been thinned out from people achieving PP through meeting nights and credit card nights.
I will always find a way to get Platinum Premier without spending or real butt in seat. Even though I am not rich or have a job that involves travel paid by employer/clients, I , too, want to feel special and ELITE.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What's a 1-K? Is that something you file with the SEC, like a 10-K?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
At least it's not a K-1. Then it would be a headache at tax time, doubly so if you disposed of any of your holding during the year.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Leisuremiles
The UA folks they are matching to Platinum status are also people who are obviously not inclined to stay often at Marriott/SPG properties or they would already have their own earned status. If they don't often stay at Marriott/SPG properties, they are not often taking lounge space or upgrades from earned Plats, not a big deal IMHO.
That's always been my take on it.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.