Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott platinum for United 1-Ks!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLATINUM
Marriott platinum for United 1-Ks!

This is ridiculous. My loyalty means nothing to SPG/Marriott if thy are giving away plat like this!
As a valued United MileagePlus® Premier® member who registered for complimentary Marriott Rewards® Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus, we’re pleased to let you know that you have recently been elevated to Platinum Elite status with Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® and SPG® through January 2019.* Benefits include a 50% points bonus and more Choice options.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Good news for you, all those people will be downgraded to Gold come 2/1/19
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Rewards Plus status - Platinum, then revert to gold

Is this just me or a change in policy?

Dear Hipplewm,
As a valued United MileagePlus® Premier® member who registered for complimentary Marriott Rewards® Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus, we’re pleased to let you know that you have recently been elevated to Platinum Elite status with Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® and SPG® through January 2019.* Benefits include a 50% points bonus and more Choice options.
To learn more about your new Platinum Elite status, please visit getrewardsplus.com/platinumeliteupgrade.

Thank you for choosing United MileagePlus. We look forward to seeing you on board again soon.

THEN the fine print and I mean FINE - it was small, I didn't even see it until I put on my glasses:
*In February 2019, all registered MileagePlus members who requalify for RewardsPlus for the next program year will receive the updated Gold Elite Status.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Is this just me or a change in policy?
Yes, Rewards Plus has been devalued. Marriott elites can only achieve United Silver (Platinum Premiers had Gold previosuly), and conversely, the highest status United elites can achieve is Marriott Gold. So lounge access is gone for both sides.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:09 am

Its meaningless because it's going away and the original program matched to Marriott Gold not SPG gold. Old MR gold is equivalent to new Platinum, so it's just a continuation of current benefits and then a downgrade.
bhrubin and ryw like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
they can give UA 1Ks Platinum any time but they need half a year to give SPG LTPs with over 750 nights PP...

Yeah, Marriott loyalty is a one way street
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
United 1aks
WTH, indeed.

As all former Marriott Gold members are Platinum members in the new program, and all previous Platinum members are Platinum Premiere members, I don't see what the problem is. They get the same status as members staying 50 night. They did then, they do now.

Different name, same relative placement to everyone else in the program. It reminds me of those complaining that their Cat 5 certificate is now a Cat 4 certificate, even though many, many more properties are available to them. Because 4<5, obviously.

My loyalty means nothing
How exactly does this impact your loyalty?
davidsc111 and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by CPRich; Sep 6, 2018 at 9:18 am
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Why couldn't they just downgrade them to Gold now like they did to their own matched SPG Golds? Has anyone else noticed how crowded the lounges are? IMO they should be providing breakfast vouchers to actual 50 night plats until Jan.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Sep 6, 2018 at 9:39 am
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:07 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Much ado about nothing.

It was Marriott Gold (50 nights) before, and it’s Marriott Platinum (50 nights) now. There is no Choice Benefit unless the member still has the actual 50 nights.

Nothing has changed, really, except for the label...and the new label having better benefits.

No need to be bitter.
GUWonder, jtet and Duke787 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
If 1K matching status for old Marriott Gold shifting to the new Marriott Gold in 2019 isn't a downgrade, then why did Marriott bump 1Ks up to Platinum status for the balance of this year? Such a sudden burst of generosity is uncharacteristic in the loyalty game. Something about this maneuver suggests a coming downgrade in what the 1K status match will be worth, and I hope that United responds in kind!

Maybe if enough Marriott elites complain about their downgrade at United, there will be a reassessment on Marriott's side?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:15 am

Just shaking my head . So , they buy Starwood and match SPG Gold to Marriott Gold when it was a 50 night level and then keep their status at the new 25 night level but give UA members a boost to Platinum.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
Originally Posted by bhrubin

It was Marriott Gold (50 nights) before, and it’s Marriott Platinum (50 nights) now. There is no Choice Benefit unless the member still has the actual 50 nights.
Nothing has changed, really, except for the label...and the new label having better benefits.
OH no, what has changed is this:
- Platinums will receive upgrades including suites
- In all those years and hundreds of nights where I was Marriott Platinum up until 2017, only two times did I actually receive a suite upgrade
- BUT 2017 THIS CHANGED: Last year and this year, their policy finally works. I've been upgraded to suites at Marriott hotels about 40% of all of my stays now, that'S about the same rate it has always been with SPG for me
- that's Europe and Asia, so real nights (no credit card) and better upgrades than in the US

NOW HERE IS THE DEAL:
The more platinums, the less suite upgrades (and upgrades to other "nicer rooms") available to "real platinums".
If they give platinum for 50 nights now, let them do it. I'D vote for 60 (and premier at 80), but as long as they cut the excess credit card nights, ok.
But if they match everyone and their dog, than it really becomes worthless.

SO I am glad to hear the UA matching ends in January
LuoboTiX likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:59 am

The UA folks they are matching to Platinum status are also people who are obviously not inclined to stay often at Marriott/SPG properties or they would already have their own earned status. If they don't often stay at Marriott/SPG properties, they are not often taking lounge space or upgrades from earned Plats, not a big deal IMHO.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
IMO it can't happen quickly enough. Even LTPPwithAMB (and $20,000+ spend) only gets UA *Silver.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It will be a bit closer to being fair, but even after January, UA elites will be comped Starriott's second tier from the bottom, while the best that Starriott elites of any level get from the agreement is comped UA Silver, which is their bottom status (of five: Silver, Gold, Plat,1K, and GS).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.