Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott - Change to Certificates, 1-5 category now 1-4. Value remains 25K.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Club Carlson, Choice, UAL, Delta, AA, Alaska

Has anyone else experienced previously earned category 1-5 certificates now being essentially category 1-4 with a max points equivalent of 25k? I was hoping to use my chase credit card night and a few certificates I obtained from another promotion for a downtown seattle property in October and as my certs are expiring soon I went ahead to use and then ran into all sorts of issues doing so on the website around the integration of SPG and now after calling Im informed of the new value which of course has decreased. If these were under promotions of 1-5 and I relied on that fact (a cat 4 is seldom good enough for any downtown major city location) I find myself quite frustrated. Im lifetime platinum and throw my business to Marriott when I can. This is discouraging and you cant even speak to anyone about it given the integration call volume or whatever is going on there...

Last edited by hhoope01; Sep 7, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by pjcflip
Has anyone else experienced previously earned category 1-5 certificates now being essentially category 1-4 with a max points equivalent of 25k? I was hoping to use my chase credit card night and a few certificates I obtained from another promotion for a downtown seattle property in October and as my certs are expiring soon I went ahead to use and then ran into all sorts of issues doing so on the website around the integration of SPG and now after calling Im informed of the new value which of course has decreased. If these were under promotions of 1-5 and I relied on that fact (a cat 4 is seldom good enough for any downtown major city location) I find myself quite frustrated. Im lifetime platinum and throw my business to Marriott when I can. This is discouraging and you cant even speak to anyone about it given the integration call volume or whatever is going on there...
My annual free night posts next week but the chase premier still says that you get a free night up to 35k points so I'm hoping this doesn't change.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
The old "Categories" are not equal to the new "Categories." The two old category structures (Rewards and SPG) and the new loyalty program category structure are all different scales.

Marriott published a FAQ in April 2018. It explained what would happen to one-night Category 1-5 certificates from credit cards and promotions: They would be good up to 25K in the new loyalty program, just as they were good up to Category 5 (25K) in the old Marriott program.

More often than not, old Marriott Category 5 hotels are now new Category 4 hotels. Also, a bunch of SPG properties are in the new program as new Category 4, so there are more good choices for 25K than before.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
They are not really downgraded as the categories themselves have shifted. With RC’s and StR’s at the top most cat 5’s have moved to cat 4. I’m sure there are exceptions.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:49 am

The topic name here is "Marriott Downgraded Certificates... 1-5 category now just 1-4."

A more accurate topic name would be "Marriott Maintained the Value of Certificates... 25K Is Still 25K."
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Horace
The topic name here is "Marriott Downgraded Certificates... 1-5 category now just 1-4."

A more accurate topic name would be "Marriott Maintained the Value of Certificates... 25K Is Still 25K."
More more accurate would be Marriott - Change to Certificates... 1-5 category now 1-4. Value remains 25K. Or similar.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Horace

Bummer, I got super excited to get a free stay at the JW in Indianapolis in 2 weeks. Now I'm not sure where to stay.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I was hoping that my old megabonus cert can now be used for Cat 5. Oh well.

The biggest annoyance is that I can't use the cert for SPG properties online. I hate having to call in for this
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
More more accurate would be Marriott - Change to Certificates... 1-5 category now 1-4. Value remains 25K. Or similar.
The certificate is not labeled for Category 1-4. Right now, Category 4 is 25K. However, the new chart has columns for regular, value, and peak. Also, Pointsaver rewards are still part of the new program.

For example, Category 4 Peak is 30K. So a 25k certificate won't work for it, even though it's Category 4.

Marriott will also issue certificates "up to 35,000 Points" and "up to 50,000 Points" for the new credit cards.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
I really wish they would make the certificate more flexible. It would be nice with it was like a gift card with 25K value and we can pay off the remaining with our points if we get a higher category hotel.
ryw and pjcflip like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
I don't know what the before and after is, but I hoped to use my Chase Marriott certificate (good for up to 25,000 points) for the Courtyard Lenox/Berkshires (in Western Massachusetts) and was surprised to find that was 35,000 for a mid-week stay this week. I thought that was high and instead paid the $144 for a room rather than burn 35,000 points. It did not seem like a good use of points.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
To re-post what I posted 2 days ago.

The old Category 5 was number 5 of 14 levels (9 Marriott, 5 RC), which was effectively 12, as the two lowest RC were below the top Marriott program.

The new Category 4 is number 4 of 8 levels in the combined program.

The old Category 5 cost 25K Marriott points. The new Category 4 costs 25K new program points. Marriott points and new program points translated at 1:1.

Of the 946 previous Marriott Category 5 properties, 503 are now Category 4, 307 are Category 3, and 1 is category 2. Nine (was Six) properties moved to Category 5 and are no longer available.

By contrast, 471 previous Marriott Category 6, 77 previous Category 7, and 4 Ritz-Carlton Tier 1 properties are now Category 4 or lower, newly available to you.

So you lost 9 (was 6) and gained 552 Marriott properties accessible with your certificate. You also gained 965 SPG properties at Cat 4 or lower.

Wanna stay at the Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa? Moxy New York City? AC New York? AC Bourbon Street? Three Ritz-Carlton's in China? Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort? All previous Cat 7/RC/SPG5 now available to you.

If these were under promotions of 1-5 and I relied on that fact (a cat 4 is seldom good enough for any downtown major city location)
Can you post which previous Cat 5 legacy MR property is now not available with a new program Cat 4 award? My data tells me these are the 9 (was 6) properties you lose.

Calgary Airport Marriott In-Terminal Hotel
Eugenia de Montijo, Autograph Collection
JW Marriott Hotel New Delhi Aerocity
Marriott's Villas at Doral
Paragraph Resort & Spa Shekvetili, Autograph Collection
Residence Inn Temecula Murrieta
Sheraton Louisville Riverside Hotel
Sheraton Skyline Hotel London Heathrow
The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun

I'd like to know if my data is faulty, as it's directly from Marriott.
ryw, LIH Prem, Beltway2A and 8 others like this.

Last edited by CPRich; Sep 7, 2018 at 11:44 am Reason: Updated based on Marriott's updated property list.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
@CPRich--Thank you for your excellent summary and analysis. I was just surprised that the hotel I selected was a Category 5 and thought there was an inversion as to points vs cash.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by CPRich
To re-post what I posted 2 days ago.

The old Category 5 was number 5 of 14 levels (9 Marriott, 5 RC), which was effectively 12, as the two lowest RC were below the top Marriott program.

The new Category 4 is number 4 of 8 levels in the combined program.

The old Category 5 cost 25K Marriott points. The new Category 4 costs 25K new program points. Marriott points and new program points translated at 1:1.

Of the 946 previous Marriott Category 5 properties, 503 are now Category 4, 307 are Category 3, and 1 is category 2. Six properties moved to Category 5 and are no longer available.

By contrast, 471 previous Marriott Category 6, 77 previous Category 7, and 4 Ritz-Carlton Tier 1 properties are now Category 4 or lower, newly available to you.

So you lost 6 and gained 552 Marriott properties accessible with your certificate. You also gained 965 SPG properties at Cat 4 or lower.

Wanna stay at the Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa? Moxy New York City? AC New York? AC Bourbon Street? Three Ritz-Carlton's in China? Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort? All previous Cat 7/RC/SPG5 now available to you.

Can you post which previous Cat 5 legacy MR property is now not available with a new program Cat 4 award? My data tells me these are the 6 properties you lose, none of which are "downtown major city location"s

Calgary Airport Marriott In-Terminal Hotel
Eugenia de Montijo, Autograph Collection
JW Marriott Hotel New Delhi Aerocity
Marriott's Villas at Doral
Paragraph Resort & Spa Shekvetili, Autograph Collection
Residence Inn Temecula Murrieta

I'd like to know if my data is faulty, as it's directly from Marriott.
This is a great analysis CPRich. If I am reading it correctly, you looked at previous cat 5s and where they migrated, and other than the six you listed they all are still available with the Chase free night cert, while SPG and some previous cat 6 or higher properties are now available for a big net add.

However, are there are any FORMER cat 4s or lower that are now new category 5 or higher? Those hotels would have been accessible before with these certs, but are no longer. Not sure if anything fits, but there were some big jumps from previous cat 7 to new cat 4, so I'm guessing there are ones that went the other way?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: LT Mariott Platinum?, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Nothing.
Originally Posted by pitflyer
This is a great analysis CPRich. If I am reading it correctly, you looked at previous cat 5s and where they migrated, and other than the six you listed they all are still available with the Chase free night cert, while SPG and some previous cat 6 or higher properties are now available for a big net add.

However, are there are any FORMER cat 4s or lower that are now new category 5 or higher? Those hotels would have been accessible before with these certs, but are no longer. Not sure if anything fits, but there were some big jumps from previous cat 7 to new cat 4, so I'm guessing there are ones that went the other way?
Criteria:

Last edited by copyright1997; Sep 4, 2018 at 4:30 pm Reason: Fix spreadsheet imbed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.