Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott - Change to Certificates, 1-5 category now 1-4. Value remains 25K.

Marriott - Change to Certificates, 1-5 category now 1-4. Value remains 25K.

Old Sep 4, 18, 9:03 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Programs: Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Club Carlson, Choice, UAL, Delta, AA, Alaska
Posts: 14
Marriott - Change to Certificates, 1-5 category now 1-4. Value remains 25K.

Has anyone else experienced previously earned category 1-5 certificates now being essentially category 1-4 with a max points equivalent of 25k? I was hoping to use my chase credit card night and a few certificates I obtained from another promotion for a downtown seattle property in October and as my certs are expiring soon I went ahead to use and then ran into all sorts of issues doing so on the website around the integration of SPG and now after calling Im informed of the new value which of course has decreased. If these were under promotions of 1-5 and I relied on that fact (a cat 4 is seldom good enough for any downtown major city location) I find myself quite frustrated. Im lifetime platinum and throw my business to Marriott when I can. This is discouraging and you cant even speak to anyone about it given the integration call volume or whatever is going on there...

Last edited by hhoope01; Sep 7, 18 at 2:00 pm
pjcflip is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 9:29 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by pjcflip View Post
Has anyone else experienced previously earned category 1-5 certificates now being essentially category 1-4 with a max points equivalent of 25k? I was hoping to use my chase credit card night and a few certificates I obtained from another promotion for a downtown seattle property in October and as my certs are expiring soon I went ahead to use and then ran into all sorts of issues doing so on the website around the integration of SPG and now after calling Im informed of the new value which of course has decreased. If these were under promotions of 1-5 and I relied on that fact (a cat 4 is seldom good enough for any downtown major city location) I find myself quite frustrated. Im lifetime platinum and throw my business to Marriott when I can. This is discouraging and you cant even speak to anyone about it given the integration call volume or whatever is going on there...
My annual free night posts next week but the chase premier still says that you get a free night up to 35k points so I'm hoping this doesn't change.
Greg Malyshev is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 9:39 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 1,723
Originally Posted by pjcflip View Post
Has anyone else experienced previously earned category 1-5 certificates now being essentially category 1-4 with a max points equivalent of 25k? I was hoping to use my chase credit card night and a few certificates I obtained from another promotion for a downtown seattle property in October and as my certs are expiring soon I went ahead to use and then ran into all sorts of issues doing so on the website around the integration of SPG and now after calling Im informed of the new value which of course has decreased. If these were under promotions of 1-5 and I relied on that fact (a cat 4 is seldom good enough for any downtown major city location) I find myself quite frustrated. Im lifetime platinum and throw my business to Marriott when I can. This is discouraging and you cant even speak to anyone about it given the integration call volume or whatever is going on there...
The old "Categories" are not equal to the new "Categories." The two old category structures (Rewards and SPG) and the new loyalty program category structure are all different scales.

Marriott published a FAQ in April 2018. It explained what would happen to one-night Category 1-5 certificates from credit cards and promotions: They would be good up to 25K in the new loyalty program, just as they were good up to Category 5 (25K) in the old Marriott program.

More often than not, old Marriott Category 5 hotels are now new Category 4 hotels. Also, a bunch of SPG properties are in the new program as new Category 4, so there are more good choices for 25K than before.
Horace is online now  
Old Sep 4, 18, 9:39 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cockeysville, MD
Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Posts: 8,630
They are not really downgraded as the categories themselves have shifted. With RCís and StRís at the top most cat 5ís have moved to cat 4. Iím sure there are exceptions.
Mr. Vker is online now  
Old Sep 4, 18, 9:49 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 1,723
The topic name here is "Marriott Downgraded Certificates... 1-5 category now just 1-4."

A more accurate topic name would be "Marriott Maintained the Value of Certificates... 25K Is Still 25K."
Horace is online now  
Old Sep 4, 18, 9:55 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,852
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
The topic name here is "Marriott Downgraded Certificates... 1-5 category now just 1-4."

A more accurate topic name would be "Marriott Maintained the Value of Certificates... 25K Is Still 25K."
More more accurate would be Marriott - Change to Certificates... 1-5 category now 1-4. Value remains 25K. Or similar.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 9:57 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
The topic name here is "Marriott Downgraded Certificates... 1-5 category now just 1-4."

A more accurate topic name would be "Marriott Maintained the Value of Certificates... 25K Is Still 25K."
Bummer, I got super excited to get a free stay at the JW in Indianapolis in 2 weeks. Now I'm not sure where to stay.
Greg Malyshev is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 11:09 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: PHL
Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hyatt EXP, UA Silver
Posts: 548
I was hoping that my old megabonus cert can now be used for Cat 5. Oh well.

The biggest annoyance is that I can't use the cert for SPG properties online. I hate having to call in for this
SP03 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 1:35 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 1,723
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
More more accurate would be Marriott - Change to Certificates... 1-5 category now 1-4. Value remains 25K. Or similar.
The certificate is not labeled for Category 1-4. Right now, Category 4 is 25K. However, the new chart has columns for regular, value, and peak. Also, Pointsaver rewards are still part of the new program.

For example, Category 4 Peak is 30K. So a 25k certificate won't work for it, even though it's Category 4.

Marriott will also issue certificates "up to 35,000 Points" and "up to 50,000 Points" for the new credit cards.
Horace is online now  
Old Sep 4, 18, 3:00 pm
  #10  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 693
I really wish they would make the certificate more flexible. It would be nice with it was like a gift card with 25K value and we can pay off the remaining with our points if we get a higher category hotel.
ryw and pjcflip like this.
GateGuardian is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 3:06 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: IAH
Programs: UA GS (1MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Titanium"
Posts: 395
I don't know what the before and after is, but I hoped to use my Chase Marriott certificate (good for up to 25,000 points) for the Courtyard Lenox/Berkshires (in Western Massachusetts) and was surprised to find that was 35,000 for a mid-week stay this week. I thought that was high and instead paid the $144 for a room rather than burn 35,000 points. It did not seem like a good use of points.
BeanTownBoy is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 3:25 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 25,530
To re-post what I posted 2 days ago.

The old Category 5 was number 5 of 14 levels (9 Marriott, 5 RC), which was effectively 12, as the two lowest RC were below the top Marriott program.

The new Category 4 is number 4 of 8 levels in the combined program.

The old Category 5 cost 25K Marriott points. The new Category 4 costs 25K new program points. Marriott points and new program points translated at 1:1.

Of the 946 previous Marriott Category 5 properties, 503 are now Category 4, 307 are Category 3, and 1 is category 2. Nine (was Six) properties moved to Category 5 and are no longer available.

By contrast, 471 previous Marriott Category 6, 77 previous Category 7, and 4 Ritz-Carlton Tier 1 properties are now Category 4 or lower, newly available to you.

So you lost 9 (was 6) and gained 552 Marriott properties accessible with your certificate. You also gained 965 SPG properties at Cat 4 or lower.

Wanna stay at the Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa? Moxy New York City? AC New York? AC Bourbon Street? Three Ritz-Carlton's in China? Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort? All previous Cat 7/RC/SPG5 now available to you.

Originally Posted by pjcflip View Post
If these were under promotions of 1-5 and I relied on that fact (a cat 4 is seldom good enough for any downtown major city location)
Can you post which previous Cat 5 legacy MR property is now not available with a new program Cat 4 award? My data tells me these are the 9 (was 6) properties you lose.

Calgary Airport Marriott In-Terminal Hotel
Eugenia de Montijo, Autograph Collection
JW Marriott Hotel New Delhi Aerocity
Marriott's Villas at Doral
Paragraph Resort & Spa Shekvetili, Autograph Collection
Residence Inn Temecula Murrieta
Sheraton Louisville Riverside Hotel
Sheraton Skyline Hotel London Heathrow
The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun


I'd like to know if my data is faulty, as it's directly from Marriott.
ryw, LIH Prem, Beltway2A and 8 others like this.

Last edited by CPRich; Sep 7, 18 at 12:44 pm Reason: Updated based on Marriott's updated property list.
CPRich is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 4:12 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: IAH
Programs: UA GS (1MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Titanium"
Posts: 395
@CPRich --Thank you for your excellent summary and analysis. I was just surprised that the hotel I selected was a Category 5 and thought there was an inversion as to points vs cash.
BeanTownBoy is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 4:58 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Posts: 4,917
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
To re-post what I posted 2 days ago.

The old Category 5 was number 5 of 14 levels (9 Marriott, 5 RC), which was effectively 12, as the two lowest RC were below the top Marriott program.

The new Category 4 is number 4 of 8 levels in the combined program.

The old Category 5 cost 25K Marriott points. The new Category 4 costs 25K new program points. Marriott points and new program points translated at 1:1.

Of the 946 previous Marriott Category 5 properties, 503 are now Category 4, 307 are Category 3, and 1 is category 2. Six properties moved to Category 5 and are no longer available.

By contrast, 471 previous Marriott Category 6, 77 previous Category 7, and 4 Ritz-Carlton Tier 1 properties are now Category 4 or lower, newly available to you.

So you lost 6 and gained 552 Marriott properties accessible with your certificate. You also gained 965 SPG properties at Cat 4 or lower.

Wanna stay at the Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa? Moxy New York City? AC New York? AC Bourbon Street? Three Ritz-Carlton's in China? Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort? All previous Cat 7/RC/SPG5 now available to you.



Can you post which previous Cat 5 legacy MR property is now not available with a new program Cat 4 award? My data tells me these are the 6 properties you lose, none of which are "downtown major city location"s

Calgary Airport Marriott In-Terminal Hotel
Eugenia de Montijo, Autograph Collection
JW Marriott Hotel New Delhi Aerocity
Marriott's Villas at Doral
Paragraph Resort & Spa Shekvetili, Autograph Collection
Residence Inn Temecula Murrieta

I'd like to know if my data is faulty, as it's directly from Marriott.
This is a great analysis CPRich. If I am reading it correctly, you looked at previous cat 5s and where they migrated, and other than the six you listed they all are still available with the Chase free night cert, while SPG and some previous cat 6 or higher properties are now available for a big net add.

However, are there are any FORMER cat 4s or lower that are now new category 5 or higher? Those hotels would have been accessible before with these certs, but are no longer. Not sure if anything fits, but there were some big jumps from previous cat 7 to new cat 4, so I'm guessing there are ones that went the other way?
pitflyer is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 5:23 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Albany, NY, USA
Programs: LT Mariott Platinum?, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Nothing.
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
This is a great analysis CPRich. If I am reading it correctly, you looked at previous cat 5s and where they migrated, and other than the six you listed they all are still available with the Chase free night cert, while SPG and some previous cat 6 or higher properties are now available for a big net add.

However, are there are any FORMER cat 4s or lower that are now new category 5 or higher? Those hotels would have been accessible before with these certs, but are no longer. Not sure if anything fits, but there were some big jumps from previous cat 7 to new cat 4, so I'm guessing there are ones that went the other way?
Criteria:

Last edited by copyright1997; Sep 4, 18 at 5:30 pm Reason: Fix spreadsheet imbed
copyright1997 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: