Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Credit Card? Chase Premium Plus vs SPG AMEX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond

They appear to be identical, with Chase being Marriott and AMEX being SPG, I'm surprised they even have an SPG card? Is one better than the other?
Will the SPG AMEX eventually go away?

Also, how good are Chase's additional benefits? Has anyone ever actually used them with success. On paper they look great, but that can be deceiving.
Baggage Delay Insurance
Lost Luggage Reimbursement
Trip Delay Reimbursement

I purchase everything with my cashback card. However, if those benefits are actually good, then it might be worth purchasing airline tickets with the Chase card for these insurances. That said, buying with my 2.5% cashback would give me more rewards. So seeing that Chase & AMEX are nearly identical, Im leaning towards SPG/AMEX because they at least waive the first years fee.

Also, do you get the free night certificate immediately after paying the annual fee, or do you have to wait one full year before getting it?

Thanks!

Last edited by flyou10; Aug 28, 2018 at 12:35 pm
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by flyou10

Also, do you get the free night certificate immediately after paying the annual fee, or do you have to wait one full year before getting it?
I got both cards before the merger. I needed Chase to boost MR points and night credit and I applied for SPG purely as it was free and got handsome signing bonus. However, I'm currently looking to drop one of them but I'm seeking experts' advice on this.

With regards to the above question, the free night certificate posts at time of the credit card renewal, so technically its the beginning of the second year of enrollment.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
After doing a lot of research basically there is no difference. I just signed up for the SPG AMEX yesterday, the only reason is because the first year annual fee is waived, where as the Marriott Chase is not. Since you dont get the free night until the 2nd year then I might as well skip paying the fee. My big question is what are they going to do come January when theyre one name, just have 2 identical cards?

As far as which one to keep. It sounds like it is purely personal preference. Do you like Visa or AMEX better? That can even mean you like AMEXs website layout and all over Chases. Or you like the Chase/Visa benefits more than what AMEX offers. Also, another approach is to keep both. You will still get a free night certificate for each of them. So now you will have 2 certificates per year, just keep your least favorite in a sock drawer.

Ive done a lot of research, this is what Ive been able to pull together. Im not an expert though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.