Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Leaving Marriott General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving Marriott General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Yea, this was never a common theme on the SPG board. Minor quibbles with the app or needing to call for certain things, but I can't recall any widespread problems with booking, points posting, redeeming, status showing up, etc. Seemed stable to me. If they ever had a catastrophic outage, it didn't know about it: it would have happened at a time when I wasn't trying to book or complete a stay.

Marriott was reasonably stable too. It's just the merger process itself that has been a dumpster fire.

Hyatt has had serious, widespread IT problems over the years, including at least one catastrophic (many hours) outage that I'm aware of. Fundamental issues where you could not book a regular hotel stay at all - not just some sort of Gold Passport issue. Hilton has had some wonky UX in the past, as they never seemed certain whether they wanted members to use HHonors.com or individual hotel brand sites. (Multi-login problems, data not being saved, etc.) These problems seem to have been mostly resolved in the past year or two though.
plus, spg has starwood lurkers who were AWESOME!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by jn in ca
+1. I've cancelled my upcoming reservations.

I am not going to commit to never staying in a Marriott property again, but for now I am walking away from Marriott. I already have my 75 nights this year, so I have no need to stay more to achieve status, especially a status I won't use. If someday I show up on flyertalk and see everyone saying that Marriott has made things right, then I will give them another try. Until then, Hilton, Hyatt and IHG will welcome my business.

I think the SPG lovers got blinded by the on property benefits from SPG, which were the absolute best in the industry, so the SPG lovers got blinded to seeing how awful Starwood IT has been. I welcome its death.
The combined IT ain't much better. I'm looking to make a reservation in BKK at the Four Points by Sheraton there. Go to the SPG site and I see the price is something like 2500THB per night on the cover page of all BKK properties. Go into the Four Points specific link and it's something like 2900THB per night. Then I look at the four night total and it's over 20,000THB because they seemed to multiply every amount by 2. So, I figure no sense booking online when they'll likely screw it up. For yuks, I used the SPG app on my iPhone. It shows the nightly amount on the Four Points site as the correct 2500THB, but still shows the four night total at 20000THB.

But at least, after three email messages and four calls, two of which resulted in getting disconnected, at least our account seems to be correct.

But if this is any indication of how good Marriott's IT is, then maybe they should have used the SPG IT folks instead.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Copa ConnectMiles Platinum, United Gold
Wanted to share an update. Completed a status match with Hilton and had 3 stays since the merger. Diamond status with Hilton is useless, no real perks besides breakfast. Guess I'll have to stick to Starriott and wait for the issues to settle now I have 100k+ Hilton points that I have to figure out how to use since they're definitely going to end up expiring as I don't plan to be back to any Hilton property anytime soon.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by joseror
Wanted to share an update. Completed a status match with Hilton and had 3 stays since the merger. Diamond status with Hilton is useless, no real perks besides breakfast. Guess I'll have to stick to Starriott and wait for the issues to settle now I have 100k+ Hilton points that I have to figure out how to use since they're definitely going to end up expiring as I don't plan to be back to any Hilton property anytime soon.

What part of the world were you staying in? I was thinking of switching as well for Asia stays...
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Copa ConnectMiles Platinum, United Gold
New York. Guessing you might have better luck with upgrades in Asia as that's usually the case with SPG, but since upgrades are not guaranteed with Hilton I wouldn't swear by it.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Upgrades aren't guaranteed with any of the brands. Trust me...Marriott Lifetime Plat Premier here - not upgraded very often at all. My best hit rate was as a basic SPG Plat rate about 10 years ago, or maybe even a basic HH Gold (if you can believe that!) about 15 years ago, but even then there were still non-upgraded stays. Long ago, it was more due to having stays in places with very few upgrades to give. Now I suspect it's a mix of apathy and the vast expansion of the total number of elites thanks to a much larger percentage of the frequent-travel population being more engaged with hotel programs and earning elite status. (15 years ago, it was more common to find people who were airline-elite and just wanted more airline miles from their hotels.)

All brands seem to upgrade better in Asia, perhaps because of a better hospitality culture or because of fewer elites, or both. Indian Starwoods can make a mere 25-stay Platinum feel like absolute royalty.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:13 pm

As opposed to what perks at Marriott? No breakfast?

Also, don't know why you're judging a program based on a couple hotels in the US, generally elites get average treatment.

On top of that, you stayed at a hotel without a lounge? Same could be said for Marriott hotels without a lounge. Was it even a normal Hilton or a budget brand.

Last edited by mingzie; Sep 21, 2018 at 7:27 pm
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:34 am

Does anyone know or have a link to what the current value of what 1 point equals for 1 Marriott, IHG, and Hilton point?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Marriott15
Does anyone know or have a link to what the current value of what 1 point equals for 1 Marriott, IHG, and Hilton point?
There is no definitive valuation.

Most bloggers put the value of a Marriott point at .8-.9 cpp. I think that's in the ballpark.
Completed a status match with Hilton and had 3 stays since the merger. Diamond status with Hilton is useless, no real perks besides breakfast.
You elected to stay at the London NYC. That's user error.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mingzie
As opposed to what perks at Marriott? No breakfast?

Also, don't know why you're judging a program based on a couple hotels in the US, generally elites get average treatment.

On top of that, you stayed at a hotel without a lounge? Same could be said for Marriott hotels without a lounge. Was it even a normal Hilton or a budget brand.
I got the Aspire card and am very pleasantly surprised by Hilton. More pleasantly surprised than unpleasantly surprised by Marriott - and I would never have thought Marriott could make me feel like they are fighting a war against former SPG top tiers.

The old SPG is gone, though maybe we should start a go fund me page and buy it back ;-)

point though, the couple of Hilton stays I had recently gave me a better impression than the couple of Marriott stays. And Hilton has novel customer service concepts, like people that answer the phone when you call or a chat system...
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Another point for Hilton: they changed they BRG T&Cs today offering instant approval of claims over the phone. For me that's a huge plus, and another point for Hilton.

I'm aware that Hilton might not be that wonderful after all, but my 2 stays so far have been very good and the bulk of my stays till year end are with them.
remymartin likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RafKa
Another point for Hilton: they changed they BRG T&Cs today offering instant approval of claims over the phone. For me that's a huge plus, and another point for Hilton.

I'm aware that Hilton might not be that wonderful after all, but my 2 stays so far have been very good and the bulk of my stays till year end are with them.
My stays with Hilton are always very good too. As are my stays with Marriott.

The problems Marriott has had with the integration hasn't affected the experience at the properties at all, in my experience. I'm staying at my first legacy SPG property (a Westin) since the merge in two weeks, so I'll be interested in my experience there.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
So how many are saying Bonvoyage to Marriott?

As a former Marriott/SPG fan I am wondering how many others have decided to dump Marriott/SPG as your "go to" program. I say "fan" because I think the concept of "loyalty" is ridiculous - Marriott is a business, not a sports team. We all have our preferences as to where we like to stay, but the bottom line is that businesses do not show loyalty to their customer (rather they may reward them for buying rooms) and in turn customers deliver revenue to businesses that provide better service.

If you are now dumping Marriott in favor of another chain what was the straw that broke the camel's back?
  • IT integration issues when programs were merged
  • The most recent devaluation, i.e. massive hike in points needed for Cat 7-9 properties (incl. SPG Cat 7 and RC)
  • Devaluation of SPG Amex points earned from everyday spend
  • Poor customer service (telephone)
  • Decline in perks for former SPG elites
  • Reduction in status due to Rewarding events / UA elite match
  • Decline in perks due to reduction in status (e.g. Plat->Gold) which resulted in loss of lounge access/breakfast
Let me know if I left anything out LOL.

For me it was the last one. Lounge access was a nice, useful incentive to stay at Marriott. Now that it's gone I will probably lean to Hyatt. Hyatt also has better ROI for hotel spend, particularly if you want to redeem for top category.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:01 pm

Here we go again with another one of these threads...

(don’t get me wrong there are many things wrong with the integration , I just however haven’t experienced as much as other members)(knock on wood)
kalo93406 and Newman like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:26 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
You forgot about changing coke to pepsi
TV guy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.