Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Leaving Marriott General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving Marriott General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Copa ConnectMiles Platinum, United Gold
Question Leaving Marriott General Discussion Thread

I'm sure I'm not the only one considering leaving Marriott/SPG after the disaster we've had this week. I'm still missing several nights, points and have an upcoming reservation on Monday that still has to pop up in my account. I'm seriously considering staying with Hilton for my remaining stays this year, even if that means starting from scratch with Honors (not a fan of the 8 stay Diamond challenge since my stays are usually at least 5-6 nights). Any thoughts on what loyalty program might be best to try?

P.S: Btw, even though I've been a follower of the forum for a while, I just decided to open an account. So hello to everyone!

Last edited by joseror; Aug 25, 2018 at 12:04 am Reason: Adding PS
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's hard to offer advice without more details. Your status suggests 100+ nights and an ambassador, but what do you want from a frequent sleeper program?

Note that HH gives Gold to AmEx Platinum charge card holders and probably others, so you probably needn't start from scratch if you decide to go that route.

Could the Hyatt program work for you in terms of its footprint?

I would avoid making immediate rash decisions, but if you've already requalified for PPwithAmb for next year, you could use your remaining stays this year to explore alternatives or even do a challenge (that covers all of 2019), but remember than status matches/challenges are in principle supposed to be once in a lifetime, so the opportunity shouldn't be wasted.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 25, 2018 at 12:30 am
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
why now?

I have the same issue. Why switch now? BTW, I am considering Jan 1, 2019.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Copa ConnectMiles Platinum, United Gold
Definitely interested in Hyatt, but not a lot of options close to my usual NYC location so leaning towards Hilton. You're right, I already qualified for Plat Premier with Ambassador for next yr, so that's why I'm considering a different program for the remainder of the yr. Since my stays are mostly in NYC, it would be quite easy to achieve Diamond with spend.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by joseror
Definitely interested in Hyatt, but not a lot of options close to my usual NYC location so leaning towards Hilton.
Hyatt has quite a few NYC properties. I'm not sure what your usual NYC location would be such that there's a Hilton but not a Hyatt, except perhaps west of WTC, near the Conrad, which is definitely the best NYC Hilton. Other Hiltons in NYC are uninspired at best.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:25 am

World of Hyatt program is great.
Jiatong and flying_geek like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I can fully understand why someone would switch now: it's almost impossible to make a Marriott booking these days, hence the switch to another hotel chain is sort of a given!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:22 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Making a 5-10 year switch in your business patterns because of a one-off event literally makes no sense. While I can understand the desire for Marriott to feel economic pain from their mistake, I am sure they are already doing so. To swap from what you feel is otherwise the best programme to one which is worse mainly hurts yourself.
C17PSGR, clarkef and SacTownGuy like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joseror
I'm sure I'm not the only one considering leaving Marriott/SPG after the disaster we've had this week. I'm still missing several nights, points and have an upcoming reservation on Monday that still has to pop up in my account. I'm seriously considering staying with Hilton for my remaining stays this year, even if that means starting from scratch with Honors (not a fan of the 8 stay Diamond challenge since my stays are usually at least 5-6 nights). Any thoughts on what loyalty program might be best to try?

P.S: Btw, even though I've been a follower of the forum for a while, I just decided to open an account. So hello to everyone!
Footprint and service wise Marriott and Hilton are similar. If you lean towards the higher end then Hyatt may work. That is the situation I am in as I did SPG for the nicer properties and am now thinking Hyatt for that.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I am base Plat from the old SPG program. Don't see myself gettng to a higher level through the end of the year. While I am still staying at legacy SPG properties, it is no longer my first choice anymore.

On that note, I will be half way through the Hilton Diamond match challenge by month end.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:09 am

This Marriott disaster of a merger and the lack of official communication to members I've now taken Hilton up on their Diamond status match.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Why not get the Hilton Aspire card? You get instant Platinum status. It has a high fee. But between the $200 airline credit; $250 Hilton resort credit alone, you get it all back. Then there's the 100,000 bonus points after $4k spend.

Hilton does sometimes get things wrong. But IME, they are incredibly generous about service recovery and show a real desire to get things right. That's where I'm going....
oopsz likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Grass is always greener...

i was was a little peeved at Hilton for some things, so I decided to try out Marriott. I got a credit card and some points and tried out a few properties this year. I had some nice stays, and I enjoyed some elements to the program, but I am finding that Hilton’s program is a better fit for me.

So, it’s not like a spouse, you can check out the other chains without feeling guilty. Get a credit card with some status at Hilton or Hyatt. See if the footprint matches your needs. See if you like the full service or limited service offerings better (based upon your stay patterns), etc.

i liked Marriott, but will probably not renew my credit card with them, I will stay focused on Hilton because they better suit me. But they all have issues, and they all have positives. Let the dust settle before you decide to make a 100% switch. But also check out some other program and see before you jump ship.
Dalo likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I used to be a Hiltonian, but the spotty elite recognition and the brazillions of points required for redemption were a turn-off to me. But then again Marriott has somewhat leveled that playing field going into 2019...
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:50 am

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Hyatt is spectacular with what you get top tier. Kinda like SPG Platinum in the old days.
Great full breakfasts, lounges and suite upgrades.
The problem is limited locations except they are in most big cities worldwide so it depends on where travel.
International properites are over the top good for Diamonds or Globalists or whatever it is called now.
Hyatt also has some fantastic bonus point promotions during the year. The best of any program with IHG promotions a close second.

If you call and explain your dilemma they might even customize a challenge for you with nights instead of stays.

Last edited by Bigshaker; Aug 25, 2018 at 11:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.