FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Another pathetic cut from marriott : Make a Green Choice >> -67% (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1926703-another-pathetic-cut-marriott-make-green-choice-67-a.html)

SkyTeam777 Aug 22, 2018 2:34 pm

What do you mean by 250? It's always been 500 points, and sounds like it still is.

frenchft Aug 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 30116838)
Or ... we could just use housekeeping if we need it or get the 500 points a day if we don't ... no reason to create extra work -- or extra waste over a few points.

I will not make any effort for 500 MR points and even less for 250 MR... no way for me.

frenchft Aug 22, 2018 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 30116843)
What do you mean by 250? It's always been 500 points, and sounds like it still is.

250 for aloft for exemple... but before it was 250 SPG(= 750 MR) and now it's 250 MR... = -67%
same for the 500 SPG properties

GoPhils Aug 22, 2018 2:49 pm

Sorry if I missed this but is at least being expanded to more former MR hotels?

C17PSGR Aug 22, 2018 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by frenchft (Post 30116849)
I will not make any effort for 500 MR points and even less for 250 MR... no way for me.

I don't need any more little plastic bottles and if I'm traveling alone, there are enough towels to get me through 2-3 days so I'm happy to opt out of housekeeping and would do so even without points. MR is giving us a little incentive to do the right thing but I'm happy to do it when it makes sense and 500 points won't change my behavior.

frenchft Aug 22, 2018 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils (Post 30116909)
Sorry if I missed this but is at least being expanded to more former MR hotels?

I have read that some properties has already such program other don't... but was vague... at least nothing official as far as I know.

VickiSoCal Aug 22, 2018 2:56 pm

It started at Marriott 5 years ago or so. It is always been optional for hotels to participate.

frenchft Aug 22, 2018 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 30116917)
I don't need any more little plastic bottles and if I'm traveling alone, there are enough towels to get me through 2-3 days so I'm happy to opt out of housekeeping and would do so even without points. MR is giving us a little incentive to do the right thing but I'm happy to do it when it makes sense and 500 points won't change my behavior.

agree but I considered this a win-win = I make an effort > hotel save on housekeeping.
now it's not fair anymore and I will consider that as they don't make any effort I will ask for full cleaning daily. And to be honest, I much prefer a whole daily cleaning that make a green choice effort, but I was used to do it for the points. Now I have no reasons to bring extra revenue to the property.
Deal broken.

frenchft Aug 22, 2018 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 30116917)

you are MR guy right? I mean not from SPG?

tods27 Aug 22, 2018 3:09 pm

Meh. I regularly take the "green choice" option, but sometimes they would still clean the room and it was so few points that I didn't really make any effort to make sure I collected them. I don't see what the major complaint is. Yes, for those road warriors who are 20+ nights in hotels each month this adds up, but for the rest of us, it's just not that big of an issue.

You might also want to edit the OP to note that this is only a cut if you are coming from the SPG side.

UA-NYC Aug 22, 2018 3:09 pm

MAGC was Behavioral Economics 101...I still liked and wanted housekeeping, but it changed my behavior due to incentives.

Cut the incentives by 2/3, and my behavior changes. I no longer feel like the "cost savings" so to speak are shared with me fairly.

frenchft Aug 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 30116987)
MAGC was Behavioral Economics 101...I still liked and wanted housekeeping, but it changed my behavior due to incentives.

Cut the incentives by 2/3, and my behavior changes. I no longer feel like the "cost savings" so to speak are shared with me fairly.

Exactly the same for me.

frenchft Aug 22, 2018 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by tods27 (Post 30116985)
Meh. I regularly take the "green choice" option, but sometimes they would still clean the room and it was so few points that I didn't really make any effort to make sure I collected them. I don't see what the major complaint is. Yes, for those road warriors who are 20+ nights in hotels each month this adds up, but for the rest of us, it's just not that big of an issue.

You might also want to edit the OP to note that this is only a cut if you are coming from the SPG side.

Indeed, but the whole merger is a cut for those coming from the SPG side... ;)
Marriott Gold even become Platinum this year ,)

Boraxo Aug 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 30116756)
MAGC. Green Choice. You never did this?

Never - ever. One of the perks of staying at the higher end SPG and Marriott chain properties are clean high quality linens. I'm not trading that for points valued at a few pennies.

Originally Posted by frenchft (Post 30116801)
It was an average extra 10K points per month in my case, wich I consider very good.
When you are not from the US with points earn by CC, those peanuts means something at the end of the year, especially when you live full time in hotels.

I would readily agree that 10k (old SPG) was quite valuable, but honestly if I was staying in hotels for that many nights I would focus on another chain that provided better ROI. SPG program was never good for earning points based on hotel spend (as compared to competition) and worst for those who were not top tier or who had longer stays (which diminished the value of the Plat stay bonus, etc.)

The credit card earn was indeed the sweet spot for many of us, and that's now gone. Will be a huge hit for Amex no matter what "incentives" they wave.

The Green Choice nonsense is just fiddling at the margins - most people won't notice or care.

UA-NYC Aug 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 30117116)
Never - ever. One of the perks of staying at the higher end SPG and Marriott chain properties are clean high quality linens. I'm not trading that for points valued at a few pennies.

YMMV. Every night I did this I got points that I was able to redeem for about $15 in value.