Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Platinum Status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:56 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Update - I merged my accounts, and my merged account now says Gold, not Platinum. Also, another poster reported that his status was changed to Gold before any merging. So it looks like Marriott is downgrading these Amex Platinum “Platinum” elites back to Gold.

Oh well - changed a Marriott booking to Four Seasons as a result. Looks like I will apply for one of the Marriott cards and see if I have enough travel to push for 35 Marriott nights in 2019.
I noticed I got downgraded too. I will wait till the dust settles. If I am still gold elite, I will contact customer service and ....., as I am almost at 50 nights, and I could have done a gold challenge and got it if I wasn't already gold. For those who do a few nights a year on the AMEX plat, I think there is a difference between 1-2 nights and what you get from marriott and someone who has 40 nights.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:46 am

Just checked my account this morning. My Marriott and SPG accounts are NOT merged as of this posting.

Yesterday I was showing as Platinum in the mobile app and on the Marriott website. Today I've been downgraded back to Gold.

It appears Marriott "fixed the glitch." Now where's my stapler?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by marcdc
Just checked my account this morning. My Marriott and SPG accounts are NOT merged as of this posting.

Yesterday I was showing as Platinum in the mobile app and on the Marriott website. Today I've been downgraded back to Gold.

It appears Marriott "fixed the glitch." Now where's my stapler?
Amex SOG Gold > not merged yet but both accounts still showing Platinum
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:53 am

Account merged. Was showing Plat yesterday and downgraded to Gold today.

I thought it's Marriott's generosity given I have 32 nights already. Now thinking about it, no way Marriott will give you Plat as this will flood UA with all the Silver request.

I will stick to Hilton for now (for the breakfast and lounge access).
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:59 am

i previously posted about my 3 family members and i, in another thread

1 was gold via ritz carlton, upgraded to platinum - still platinum as of this morning
1 was gold via spg amex platinum canada, upgraded to platinum - now downgraded back to gold
1 was gold via spg amex platinum canada, originally gold, then upgraded to platinum, now back down to gold

My self, I was gold via spg amex platinum canada, upgraded to platinum - still platinum

perhaps its being updated/corrected in batches?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:28 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Still Platinum on both the App and the Website. Called yesterday and was thanked for being a Platinum member

I'm sure I'll get the downgrade sooner or later.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Showed Gold > Plat > Gold on MR side the last few days. Merged as gold. Oh well.

Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:02 am

Saw Platinum Elite, now see Gold Elite. Still not allowed to merge my accounts. (Also still missing points on both sides - Marriott hotel stay, and Amex SPG charge didn't award bonus points at SPG hotel.)
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: SPG, AA, UAL, Hyatt, Amex Plat
Similar to many others here had been SPG Gold (from Amex Plat US), created a linked Marriott account last year that was Marriott Gold.

Initially Marriott Gold account was showing as plat for a couple of days but downgraded back to gold as of this morning. :-(

Was kind of hoping to get have the plat status at least till year end but looks like their IT caught up with everything else eventually.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:46 am

Yup same with me, well it was good while it lasted ha
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, AA, BA, WN, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt
Downgraded to gold, so like many others, lost benefits from what we had pre-merger. AMEX needs to renegotiate our benefits for us.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by broncinbuck

I mean honor the Platinum benefits.
Elite status always only applies to what status you have during the stay, not during booking. Same applies to "normal" night-based status. So no, but not because they're "not honoring" it, but because that's how the system works.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List, National ES
I was SPG gold from American Express platinum. I was also gold from a Ritz card that was 18 months old. I put $10,000 of spending on the Ritz card on my statement ending on July 25. Yesterday the Marriott app was showing me as platinum. Today I am seeing gold. What should I be?

Neither Chase nor Marriot has been helpful. They keep referring me to each other
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:38 pm

This is just plain bad business decision to not giving Amex Plat owner Marriott Plat for the rest of the benefit year.
It is plain bad IT roll-out for teasing us for Marriott Plat for 1 day then downgrade us to Gold.
It is also plain bad communication telling us that no one will lose benefit for the rest of the year after combining both programs.
roubaolic likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AX
Showed originally as Plat but downgraded to Gold to today as well. Oh, well I'm Diamond with Hilton so I will just stay with them going forward (for both breakfast and lounge access). Had Marriott kept the "old gold" benefits I would have had around 20 nights with them this year but I'm just as fine with now booking Hilton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.