FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   AMEX Platinum Status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1925935-amex-platinum-status.html)

DLcoop1977 Aug 18, 2018 10:53 pm

AMEX Platinum Status

Under the old SPG agreement with AMEX, Platinum cardmembers received SPG Gold status that then was matched by Marriott Rewards with Gold status as well. Any idea as to what status, if any, AMEX Platinum cardmembers will receive under the new combined Marriott Rewards program?

nall Aug 18, 2018 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by DLcoop1977 (Post 30099375)
Under the old SPG agreement with AMEX, Platinum cardmembers received SPG Gold status that then was matched by Marriott Rewards with Gold status as well. Any idea as to what status, if any, AMEX Platinum cardmembers will receive under the new combined Marriott Rewards program?

It'll be Gold going forward.

philemer Aug 18, 2018 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by DLcoop1977 (Post 30099375)

Originally Posted by nall (Post 30099393)
It'll be Gold going forward.

True. :(

DLcoop1977 Aug 18, 2018 11:19 pm

MR website currently lists me as "Platinum Elite." I wonder how long that will last.

osotoc Aug 19, 2018 1:43 am

Everything previously published says it will be New Marriott Gold.
im not surprised if some mismatches occur. Still, if that Amex match is the only thing offering your status, I’d bet the IT system will update with the correct status at some point. Barring a new policy or announcement from Marriott.

Adelphos Aug 19, 2018 4:11 am

The SPG App says I知 a Gold elite while the Marriott App says I知 a Platinum Elite. I知 sure the Marriott status will be corrected at some point, but it will be interesting if it takes weeks (or months) instead of days

etkuo Aug 19, 2018 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 30100072)
The SPG App says I知 a Gold elite while the Marriott App says I知 a Platinum Elite. I知 sure the Marriott status will be corrected at some point, but it will be interesting if it takes weeks (or months) instead of days

Same here.

It originally showed Gold Elite on my Marriott app yesterday afternoon but it turned into Platinum Elite last night. Wonder how long it would be before it is corrected.

phltraveler Aug 19, 2018 7:35 am

It's probable that the status will remain at the 50 night level (previously MR Gold, now MR Plat in merged program) for the remainder of 2018, expiring with the end of the Program year in Jan 2019. This is how it was handled for RewardsPlus, so Amex status match will probably work similarly.

On RewardsPlus, per Marriott Insiders:

Originally Posted by Marriott Insiders
Eligible MileagePlus members can register for complimentary Gold Elite status at united.com/rewardsplus. MileagePlus members, registered in RewardsPlus prior to August 18, 2018 and currently enjoying Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status, will receive the updated Platinum Elite status with Rewards and SPG through January 2019. In February 2019, all registered MileagePlus members who requalify for RewardsPlus for the next program year will receive the updated Gold Elite status benefits for a full calendar year with Rewards and SPG. To learn more about the updated Gold Elite status benefits, visit members.marriott.com

Since Amex is similar (it offered Gold match [50 night level] before program merger on 08/18, and was still offered at gold level [now 25 night level with no lounge access/breakfast] in merged program), it will likely be handled in the same fashion as RewardsPlus (same deal for UA elites).

cfischer Aug 19, 2018 7:43 am

Originally Posted by phltraveler (Post 30100610)
It's probable that the status will remain at the 50 night level (previously MR Gold, now MR Plat in merged program) for the remainder of 2018, expiring with the end of the Program year in Jan 2019. This is how it was handled for RewardsPlus, so Amex status match will probably work similarly.

On RewardsPlus, per Marriott Insiders:

Since Amex is similar (it offered Gold match [50 night level] before program merger on 08/18, and was still offered at gold level [now 25 night level with no lounge access/breakfast] in merged program), it will likely be handled in the same fashion as RewardsPlus (same deal for UA elites).

This is not what they communicated prior to 8/18. They were very clear that anything that was matched to *W Gold would get Marriott Gold and everything that was externally matched (not from *W Gold) to Marriott Gold would get the new Marriott Platinum. Now, they could have decided to make it easier and more generous in the meantime, but I somehow doubt it.

DLcoop1977 Aug 19, 2018 8:01 am

MY MR Gold was based on status match from SPG Gold that was achieved due to having the AMEX Platinum card. So, based on the info above, I am guessing I will retain Platinum until the end of this program year and then drop back to Gold for next year.

dhlee528 Aug 19, 2018 8:36 am

I'm primary AMEX platinum card holder, I got MR platinum now.
however, authorized users of my platinum card are still at Marriott/SPG gold

phltraveler Aug 19, 2018 8:37 am

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 30100631)
This is not what they communicated prior to 8/18. They were very clear that anything that was matched to *W Gold would get Marriott Gold and everything that was externally matched (not from *W Gold) to Marriott Gold would get the new Marriott Platinum. Now, they could have decided to make it easier and more generous in the meantime, but I somehow doubt it.

It's a little weird though because effectively the way that people with *W cards got the old Marriott Gold was that
1) *W cards matched to *W Gold
2) *W Gold (pre-08/18) matched via linking to old MR Gold (50 nights).

I suspect that the reason UA elites (and likely Amex elites) who matched before 08/18 will keep the 50 night level in MR (old gold/new plat) is because they matched via the old mapping.

Any new matches, whether in remainder of 2018 or in 2019, will be mapped against the card mapping to the new Gold 25 night level, but they aren't likely to go and try to "claw back" the higher award made under the pre-merged program, just port the status over 1:1.

patrick.barnes Aug 19, 2018 9:33 am

I also ended up with MR Plat on the MR side while staying Gold on the SPG side.

I don稚 use the Amex Plat status but I do have the Amex SPG and spent a bunch on that (90k or so so far).

GetSetJetSet Aug 19, 2018 10:54 am

yea my account shows no status and 0 points now. Wonderful. I'll give these idiots a day or two to sort it out before calling.

khkchan Aug 19, 2018 11:17 am

Shows plat for me. Amex plat matched to *w Gold. I have about 30 nights combined in both programs.

I am trying to avoid booking Marriott hotels for sometime since it's just not clear what I will be getting, benefit wise .

​​​​