Travel Package - Class Action?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:14 am

45 posts and not a single mention of "contract law"

step it up!!!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: Starwood PG, Delta SkyMiles, AA/Alaska, Priority Club
Disappeared

Looks like this response from Marriott Rewards Insider has disappeared.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Starwood PG, Delta SkyMiles, AA/Alaska, Priority Club
Not loyal

Originally Posted by TomClay
This issue is that Marriott CSRs were either purposely selling cat 6 and cat 8 hotel+air packages knowing that they would be losers with the new category map, or they were winging it and management knew they would put out a map that limits losses. That is poor customer service and borders fraud, but clearly unethical.
Absolutely. How the company thinks they will keep people loyal is beyond me.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by YeahThatsKosher
Looks like this response from Marriott Rewards Insider has disappeared.
The moderators moved the post.

It's now at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:50 am

I've been on the phone for hours with Marriott and spoke to several supervisors. Apparently, Marriotts promise to return the extra 30k points for categories that don't exist isnt so simple.
1. You need to wait till September 18th to request a refund
2. Most rewards reps had no clue what I was talking about and kept saying that travel packages cannot be changed. You may need to jump through many hoops and call a few times till you find someone who will help you.
Additionally, Marriott is not letting you book a stay using the certificates until September 18th. I called again & again, I begged, spoke to supervisors, & spoke to elite services, no one will book a reservation using the travel packages. How can such a large company shut down for a full month without a word? They didn't shut down the ability to book a room using a credit card. How many points/certs are they writing off this month?

Marriott was very quick to respond that they will refund the points and customers can now use their travel packages. That was in fact complete lie made to the public!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Michelle AnLee Schweitzer
I've been on the phone for hours with Marriott and spoke to several supervisors. Apparently, Marriotts promise to return the extra 30k points for categories that don't exist isnt so simple.
1. You need to wait till September 18th to request a refund
2. Most rewards reps had no clue what I was talking about and kept saying that travel packages cannot be changed. You may need to jump through many hoops and call a few times till you find someone who will help you.
Additionally, Marriott is not letting you book a stay using the certificates until September 18th. I called again & again, I begged, spoke to supervisors, & spoke to elite services, no one will book a reservation using the travel packages. How can such a large company shut down for a full month without a word? They didn't shut down the ability to book a room using a credit card. How many points/certs are they writing off this month?

Marriott was very quick to respond that they will refund the points and customers can now use their travel packages. That was in fact complete lie made to the public!
I've been told the same several times now. It's all very frustrating, I have over 600K points locked up reserving my two stays until I'm allowed to apply my travel package certificate in another few weeks. And I'm sure that process will be a huge headache based on my experiences so far.

I can't understand why they would go through with "merging" the programs until all the hotels could be combined onto the same reservations platform. Maintaining two systems in the backgrounds is making everything a huge mess, and I don't think anyone was complaining about the status quo.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Post merger & acquisition threads about class actions, fraud, and the like are common. This one is no different. The fact is that courts in the US, EU member states, much of Asia and elsewhere, routinely uphold program terms such as Marriott's and the occasions when they don't tend to be non-precedential one-offs.

On the social media side, most people believe that points, miles and other rewards are freebies and are happy to get what is given. A bunch of people talking to themselves won't generate significant brand damage and certainly not more than is built into the deal.

Why? Marriott's HVC's are large corporate interests with negotiated deals. Experience shows that for all the people who threaten to jump ship and for those who do, there are folks in other programs having a tough go over something else who are taking their business to Marriott.

Bottom line is that all of this chatter is built into the transaction cost and has been paid for already.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by Often1
Post merger & acquisition threads about class actions, fraud, and the like are common. This one is no different. The fact is that courts in the US, EU member states, much of Asia and elsewhere, routinely uphold program terms such as Marriott's and the occasions when they don't tend to be non-precedential one-offs.

On the social media side, most people believe that points, miles and other rewards are freebies and are happy to get what is given. A bunch of people talking to themselves won't generate significant brand damage and certainly not more than is built into the deal.

Why? Marriott's HVC's are large corporate interests with negotiated deals. Experience shows that for all the people who threaten to jump ship and for those who do, there are folks in other programs having a tough go over something else who are taking their business to Marriott.

Bottom line is that all of this chatter is built into the transaction cost and has been paid for already.
The main people that profit from class action suits like this are the lawyers. I have gotten notices of class actions about other rewards programs in the past. My portion of the settlement was tiny. I am talking about $20 or less. It wasn't even worth the time to fill out the paperwork.

If there is a class action lawsuit, the lawyers will get a big chunk of any settlement, and it could take years to reach that settlement. There won't be much left for the litigants. In my opinion, it is better to wait until September and calmly contact Marriott to try to work something out first.

People here have a right to be angry. There just aren't a lot of good options right now. If the situation is bad enough, then leave Marriott. An identity thief called both Hilton and Holiday Inn years ago, and talked the phone agents into redeeming a bunch of points from my account. I sent both hotel chains copies of the police report for the identity theft. Hilton made it right. Holiday Inn did not. I no longer stay at IHG hotels. I do stay at Hiltons. However, I didn't sue.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Small claim court is a much better option than class action. If you self-represent you get back almost everything, including disbursements, and for Marriott it's not worth sending a lawyer to handle these cases as they would cost more than representation, so you usually just win by default.

If lots of Marriott elites do it, it will actually hurt Marriott and they can't do much about it (and unlike class actions, they must fight each small claim individually, which is extremely costly).
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by jeanie
The main people that profit from class action suits like this are the lawyers. I have gotten notices of class actions about other rewards programs in the past. My portion of the settlement was tiny. I am talking about $20 or less. It wasn't even worth the time to fill out the paperwork.
Also, you won't find many -- if any -- lead plaintiffs getting 10-50k in this scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.