Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tkey75
Probably. I had a late meeting last year that didn't post until Jan of this year, but were backdated to 2017 (for 2018 qualification).
Good to know! The other problem is that I'll also need to use the 5 nights from my Plat gift to get me over the line for 75 nights. I suppose I'll need to redeem that before year end?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Would really appreciate help with this. I am Plat Premier with 39 nights (on mattress) for the year; 6 more booked before January 1st. I have 11 nights in January and 20 in May already booked and do not want to lose platinum status (at a minimum).

I would like to do a rewarding event to get me above the 50 night line. The last one I did was in November 2017, and I understand there have been changes since then from perusing this thread.

1) Is there now a minimum spend?
2) Do I need to actually show up now?
3) Any other restrictions I should know? I only intend to do one for 2018.

Last year I was able to negotiate one hour at hotel in a different country for $55, not show up, with the EQNs posting shortly thereafter. I'm wondering whether trying the same will lead to wasting my time and money.

Appreciate the help!!
Can you share which this hotel is?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
Originally Posted by Nazdoom

1) Is there now a minimum spend?
2) Do I need to actually show up now?
3) Any other restrictions I should know? I only intend to do one for 2018.

!
1) Not centrally, but some hotels have imposed this. Check whether they use the Group Posting Tool
2) Different hotels have different policies. It appears 'no' for a lot, but I have several experiences where the meeting was 'actualised'
3) Shouldn't be - if the hotel uses the Group Posting Tool, and it's your first meeting of the year, you should get 10 nights.
Nazdoom likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by musicgal
Hi. I had a meeting last week at a Fairfield Inn. The contract was called a Meeting Room Agreement. It did not have my Marriott number on it, so I wrote it in under my signature. After my meeting, when I mentioned the Group Posting Tool to the sales manager, with whom I set this up, she had no idea what I was talking about. But she assured me she "posted" my number and mentioned that she noticed I was Gold Elite. It's only been 3 business days, but I think, since she had never heard of the GPT, I should follow up with her on Monday. What should I say to her? I don't know what the GPT is, so it will be difficult to tell her about it. Plus, I don't want to sound like I'm telling her how to do her job but I also don't want to wait around too long.
I have mine set for this Thursday and it just says "Conference room agreement" - I sent my Rep a link to the rewarding events page and asked specifically if my meeting would qualify and she replied yes. I am hoping that will help if the time comes. Keep us posted.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Sadly I lost some good money for the BS of the '10 days wait to post in GPT'

I found this wonderful workaround very very late as many good things in life!

Just to share, I knew I was going tight but I gave it a shot the week before the changes, two separate meetings in a CY in Central America, separate contracts in writing (negotiated rate for 2 hours after some heavy bargaining: $75 each meeting), I spoke with the Banquet Coordinator about GPT after finishing my second meeting (not before any point), I do my stuff carefully, don't like to sound too evident (if I recall correctly the meetings were Mon and Tues. in the last week of the old program) and got the dreaded 'we have orders to wait 10 days' answer, not negotiable.

I call it BS because on Thursday the same week I had the third I last meeting I was willing to risk, in a Marriott, same rate as the CY, in this case the reservation was handled with the Events Manager directly, asked him about posting in GPT, the next day I received the automated email with the posting, got the 10 nights and the points!

Same Friday I gave another shot sending an email to the Coordinator at the CY, got the same response of the 10 days wait... About 10 days later received the automated email just with the points sadly.

Last edited by Venezuela-Miami; Dec 11, 2018 at 9:01 am
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Tmstewar2
I have mine set for this Thursday and it just says "Conference room agreement" - I sent my Rep a link to the rewarding events page and asked specifically if my meeting would qualify and she replied yes. I am hoping that will help if the time comes. Keep us posted.
It's been said before and I'll say it again. Never sign a contract without a Rewarding Events clause in the contract:

REWARDS PROGRAM – QUALIFIED FOR REWARDING EVENTS

Approximately (10) business days after the conclusion of the Event (provided that the Event is not cancelled and INSERT NAME HERE has otherwise complied with the material terms and conditions of this Agreement), the Hotel will either award Points or submit an award for airline miles to the Member(s) identified below.

The Rewarding Events program is only available to qualified Marriott Rewards Program members. Rewarding Events is not available in certain circumstances, including (1) for any government employee or official booking a government event (U.S. government event or non-U.S. government event); (2) for any employee of a state-owned or state-controlled entity (“SOE”) booking an event on behalf of the SOE; or (3) for any other planner or intermediary when booking an event on behalf of a non-U.S. governmental entity or non-U.S. SOE.

In addition, Rewarding Events is available only if INSERT NAME HERE's own policies permit the Member identified below to receive Rewarding Events points or airline miles for the Event.

The number of Points or airline miles to be awarded shall be determined pursuant to the Rewards Program Terms and Conditions, as in effect at the time of award. The Rewards Program Terms and Conditions are available on-line at marriottrewards.com, and may be changed at the sole discretion of the Rewards Program at any time and without notice.

The Member identified below to receive either Points or airline miles may not be changed without such Member’s prior written consent. By inserting the airline mileage account information, the Member elects to receive airline miles rather than Points. All Rewards Program Terms and Conditions apply.

GROUP MUST CHECK ONE OPTION BELOW:
[insert checkbox] The Contact (as identified on page 1 of this Agreement or the Authorized Signer of this Agreement) certifies that she/he is qualified to participate in the Rewarding Events program for the Event.

Member Name __________________________________________________
Marriott Rewards Program Member Number __________________________________________________

*If airline miles are desired instead of Rewarding Events Points, please also provide:

Frequent flier airline miles account number___________________________
Airline Name __________________________________________________ _

OR

[insert checkbox] The Contact (as identified on page 1 of this Agreement or the Authorized Signer of this Agreement) declines or is not qualified to receive Rewarding Events Points or airline miles, and hereby waives the right to receive an award of Points or airline miles in connection with the Event.

*Electronic selection – This may be done in Microsoft Word by double-clicking on the above unfilled box, choosing a blackened box, and then clicking “Insert.” Alternatively, one can use the commands “Insert” and “Symbol,” choose the blackened box, and then click “Insert.”
dagangwood likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It's been said before and I'll say it again. Never sign a contract without a Rewarding Events clause in the contract:
Some hotels offer the Book Now feature online. When finalizing the meeting, it shows a contract but does not mention Rewarding events. Since the booking would be made online is it safe to assume they use the GPT and nights will post? I read through old posts but cannot find where someone has asked this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Dimitri Papadopoulos
Some hotels offer the Book Now feature online. When finalizing the meeting, it shows a contract but does not mention Rewarding events. Since the booking would be made online is it safe to assume they use the GPT and nights will post? I read through old posts but cannot find where someone has asked this.
There have been quite a few posts where they have booked online and even went without an actual contract with everything happening as expected. However, the advice of having a signed contract that includes the wording for the RE is wise just in case it doesn't happen and the property refuses do post the event is wise. What's your risk tolerance? I like to believe people will do what is right and not try to cheat me. I have been proven wrong, but not often.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by RogerD408
There have been quite a few posts where they have booked online and even went without an actual contract with everything happening as expected. However, the advice of having a signed contract that includes the wording for the RE is wise just in case it doesn't happen and the property refuses do post the event is wise. What's your risk tolerance? I like to believe people will do what is right and not try to cheat me. I have been proven wrong, but not often.
Yeah. You definitely need it in the contract. I have had three or four properties that were great to deal with before and during the event. The moment the event is over they go M.I.A. One property took 3 months to post. I finally got 100,000 extra points from the general manager for them giving me the middle-finger.

I spent over $200,000 in 2017. My colleague spent another $200,000. Since the changes were announced in April I've only spent $65,000 for a total of $100,000. I've told Marriott they aren't getting my exclusive business anymore since not only did they take away the 10 elite-qualifying nights from each event, but they're no longer giving any nights for events without rooming component. On top of that, none of the event spend -- not even 10% of it -- is counting toward ambassador, even if I do a $5,000 dinner in the restaurant as opposed to a banquet.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM, Marriott Platinum Premier
I’ve been interacting with a local SHS to do a”meeting”. I was told in order to earn the 10 EQN I must book via online. They also did not respond when I asked about the group posting tool. Should I go ahead and book or go for greener pastures (different hotel)?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:53 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by creditcardgeek
I’ve been interacting with a local SHS to do a”meeting”. I was told in order to earn the 10 EQN I must book via online. They also did not respond when I asked about the group posting tool. Should I go ahead and book or go for greener pastures (different hotel)?
There's a lot of work to teach a hotel management and their staff what is Group Posting Tool and how to use it. They'll do the few hour learning if your "meeting" is worth few thousand dollars of business. But if it's a few hundred dollars of earnings, the labor cost to do research and learning outweighs the revenue you bring in thus I understand their reluctance.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mighty_Bluff
I just set up a 1 hour, $100 event through the rewarding events website for a meeting tomorrow. I signed everything online through the website. Do i need to do anything else, other than showing up, to ensure the 10 nights? The hotel is 5-min from my house, so i'll just swing by for a bit.. thanks.

Just a quick follow up on my own post. I did get credited today for 10 nights for my 1 hour, $100 meeting at a local Courtyard Marriott in So Cal. The hotel didn't post the meeting, so i called the Platinum line and they immediately credited me with the 10 nights. They even gave me 2000 bonus points for the MegaBonus promotion... I'm guessing that might have been an error, but i'll take it. BTW, i did everything online and booked the rewarding events meeting through the website and e-signed the contract online... never spoke to a person. I did show up to the meeting... Front desk walked me to my tiny conference room... I sat around and answered a few work emails for 20 minutes and left for home...

Even if i'm able to do this only once a year... it makes making Platinum much more attainable. 15 nights for the credit card, 10 nights for the rewarding event, 5 nights as my 50-night award, instead of choosing the 5 SNA's... that leaves me with 20 nights per year to achieve Platinum... Between award/vacation stays and a handful of business trips... piece of cake! Good times
Tmstewar2 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yeunganson
There's a lot of work to teach a hotel management and their staff what is Group Posting Tool and how to use it. They'll do the few hour learning if your "meeting" is worth few thousand dollars of business. But if it's a few hundred dollars of earnings, the labor cost to do research and learning outweighs the revenue you bring in thus I understand their reluctance.
This sounds like someone is being lazy. For an employee to learn on the job costs nothing if they're not being paid overtime for the learning period. Moreover, managers should generally be paid a salary (exempt in USA labor law terms) so that this is part of their job and should absolutely never lead to some additional payment to them. If the GM is punching a time card and expects overtime pay for doing his/her job, we have a bigger problem at that hotel.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by Mighty_Bluff
Just a quick follow up on my own post. I did get credited today for 10 nights for my 1 hour, $100 meeting at a local Courtyard Marriott in So Cal. The hotel didn't post the meeting, so i called the Platinum line and they immediately credited me with the 10 nights. They even gave me 2000 bonus points for the MegaBonus promotion... I'm guessing that might have been an error, but i'll take it. BTW, i did everything online and booked the rewarding events meeting through the website and e-signed the contract online... never spoke to a person. I did show up to the meeting... Front desk walked me to my tiny conference room... I sat around and answered a few work emails for 20 minutes and left for home...

Even if i'm able to do this only once a year... it makes making Platinum much more attainable. 15 nights for the credit card, 10 nights for the rewarding event, 5 nights as my 50-night award, instead of choosing the 5 SNA's... that leaves me with 20 nights per year to achieve Platinum... Between award/vacation stays and a handful of business trips... piece of cake! Good times
Thanks for this datapoint!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Yeah. You definitely need it in the contract. I have had three or four properties that were great to deal with before and during the event. The moment the event is over they go M.I.A. One property took 3 months to post. I finally got 100,000 extra points from the general manager for them giving me the middle-finger.

I spent over $200,000 in 2017. My colleague spent another $200,000. Since the changes were announced in April I've only spent $65,000 for a total of $100,000. I've told Marriott they aren't getting my exclusive business anymore since not only did they take away the 10 elite-qualifying nights from each event, but they're no longer giving any nights for events without rooming component. On top of that, none of the event spend -- not even 10% of it -- is counting toward ambassador, even if I do a $5,000 dinner in the restaurant as opposed to a banquet.
They have really messed up the RE program and it may be a knee jerk reaction to those doing events just to get status and those doing major events are hosed. Maybe your volume isn't high on the radar with Marriott, but maybe reaching out to discuss your situation specifically they will work something out. Heaven help them if/when the economy turns down again and they start pumping out new/renewed programs, like how RE got started.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.