Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Courtyards: Are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
It amuses me how many people on FT dismiss CY for its breakfast-- because it's not included in the room rate, or the bistro's too expensive, the bistro has poor choices, etc. It amuses me, though I do understand it. For me, hotel breakfast offerings, especially the complimentary ones, are rarely that interesting. I don't like cheap eggs, stale breads, packaged cereal, and other sugary crap. Often I'd rather pick up a more enjoyable breakfast along the way between the hotel and wherever I'm going first in the morning. That said, there are times when the convenience of having breakfast in-house trumps going elsewhere for something better. That's especially true when traveling with others where eating anywhere other than the hotel restaurant would be an enormous time sink or significant expense.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond; Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
It amuses me how many people on FT dismiss CY for its breakfast-- because it's not included in the room rate, or the bistro's too expensive, the bistro has poor choices, etc. It amuses me, though I do understand it. For me, hotel breakfast offerings, especially the complimentary ones, are rarely that interesting. I don't like cheap eggs, stale breads, packaged cereal, and other sugary crap. Often I'd rather pick up a more enjoyable breakfast along the way between the hotel and wherever I'm going first in the morning. That said, there are times when the convenience of having breakfast in-house trumps going elsewhere for something better. That's especially true when traveling with others where eating anywhere other than the hotel restaurant would be an enormous time sink or significant expense.
I think the issue is that other competing properties, such as Hilton Garden Inn or DoubleTree, often have a better "full service restaurant" in house. The Courtyard setup seems really dumbed down compared to their competitors in that space.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Tradition
I like the Bistro breakfast sandwich. It's much better than a fast food breakfast sandwich. Nice bun, fresh eggs, cheese, applewood smoked bacon, arugula, and avocado. Served with a mixed fruit bowl. What's crappy about that?
Tried the breakfast sandwich, really didn't like it. Not sure why but something about the combination of ingredients I didn't care for. To each their own.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:50 am

I like the Bistro breakfast sandwich. It's much better than a fast food breakfast sandwich. Nice bun, fresh eggs, cheese, applewood smoked bacon, arugula, and avocado. Served with a mixed fruit bowl. What's crappy about that?
Pretty sure thoes are powdered eggs, not “fresh”.
At half the Courtyards I have been to you cant trust the staff to make decent coffee, much less eggs.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:58 am

For me the issue is coffee. I hate having to go down there and wait in line to pay double Starbucks prices for average coffee. I hate having to interact with people before I have had coffee. I hate being stuck in line for 20 minuets behind families and soccer teams that want to ask if the eggs are gluten free. I hate when you have to be up at 5 am local timezone and there is no coffee because the Bistro opens at 6.

Give me a Fairfield or a Springhill where I can slink down, get the swill out of the community pot, and not talk to anyone until after I have had 2x cups of said swill.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond; Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti

Pretty sure thoes are powdered eggs, not “fresh”.
At half the Courtyards I have been to you cant trust the staff to make decent coffee, much less eggs.
They sell eggs cooked to order (advertised as cage-free Eggs Your Way). It's not like the buffet "eggs" that are served at the free breakfast hotels.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Paying $8 and waiting 20 minutes for it
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
For me the issue is coffee.
I don't believe I've ever been in any MI room that didn't have a coffeemaker.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Technically correct, but the Pure Elelvation branded coffee is pretty bad - ground coffee can stay in a room for a while, plus the in-room coffeemakers generally aren't as high brew-temp as the coffeemakers used in lounge/lobby prep areas with industrial equipment.

I'll drink in-room coffee, but rarely... at pretty much any MR brand, the lobby coffee beats the room coffee by a large margin.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Sometimes I actually prefer a limited-service hotel such as a CY over a full service hotel, even when location and price are comparable. Is anyone else in this group?

For me the issue, especially when I'm staying on a one-night, "halfway from A to B" trip, is that I want a hotel I can get in & out of fast. FS Marriotts require much more walking.... The parking lots are usually larger, the hotel building is spread out with registration often on the far side of a big lobby or conference area, and check-in more often has a line. CYs are more compact and rarely have much of a line at the front desk. And especially on weekends the elite breakfast offerings at FS Marriotts are generally a joke, so there's no edge over a CY there. If I just want "8 hours and a shower" (plus maybe a dip in the pool) I'll take the CY two times out of three.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
https://www.firstforwomen.com/posts/...-kettle-141060

That may be pure fiction, but I guarantee you that pot NEVER gets a good real washing, and I would bet good money that the same rag used to wipe the counter wipes the pot.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
... eh. I have an immune system
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

https://www.firstforwomen.com/posts/...-kettle-141060

That may be pure fiction, but I guarantee you that pot NEVER gets a good real washing, and I would bet good money that the same rag used to wipe the counter wipes the pot.
I think the critical part of the (very short) article is "Rumor has it". No facts, just rumor.

Cheers.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
We have had excellent stays at CY both in the USA and abroad. Have received upgrades to a suite every time and CY has been very accommodating.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:39 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Sometimes I actually prefer a limited-service hotel such as a CY over a full service hotel, even when location and price are comparable. Is anyone else in this group?

For me the issue, especially when I'm staying on a one-night, "halfway from A to B" trip, is that I want a hotel I can get in & out of fast. FS Marriotts require much more walking.... The parking lots are usually larger, the hotel building is spread out with registration often on the far side of a big lobby or conference area, and check-in more often has a line. CYs are more compact and rarely have much of a line at the front desk. And especially on weekends the elite breakfast offerings at FS Marriotts are generally a joke, so there's no edge over a CY there. If I just want "8 hours and a shower" (plus maybe a dip in the pool) I'll take the CY two times out of three.
I often feel this way when I'm on the road. When I am not interested in actually spending any time IN a particular city and I'm just passing by it's much easier to stay on the outskirts which is where you will often find a convenient CY. This is often true around airports as well when I have a car. The ease of pulling in and out myself without having to deal with valets, etc. often leads me to prefer avoiding a full service property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.