Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Eugenia de Montjio Toledo, Autograph Collection - Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website. Cat 5.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ph-collection/

"Eugenia de Montijo is a Luxury contemporary palace Old Palace of the Empress Eugenia de Montijo converted in a trendy, historical chic hotel. Located in the centre of the city of Toledo, a world heritage city, the hotel pays tribute to the figure of the Empress and inspires the decoration along the property. The historical remains from the palace as three coffered ceilings are being relocated in the Reception, Bar area and Restaurant. A true boutique hotel with 40 elegant and comfortable rooms, of which two are junior suites and one suite. The hotel has a unique lobby with a crystal dome and lively bar where special Cocktails are served. The breakfast is served in a beautiful room called the dressing room of the Empress. The Restaurant Federico inside the hotel serves local traditional food and the place is an elegant reinvention of a tavern. In the basement of the building among ancient walls and roman remains the Spa and treatment beauty rooms is placed for all the guests."
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Officially open. Marriott press release:

Autograph Collection Hotels Checks Into Spain?s Toledo With The Opening Of Eugenia De Montijo | Marriott News Center

Excerpt:

"Housed in the former palace of the Empress Eugenia De Montijo, from which the hotel takes its name, the hotel has 40 guest rooms and two luxurious bedroom suites; the Tiffany, offering a comfortable and spacious abode with a city view, and The Empress with glorious views of the Montes de Toledo, the beautiful mountain that surrounds the city. T

he hotel’s dining spaces include The Dressing, based on the Empress’ original dressing room where breakfast is now served, and the Mr. Worth Atelier Restaurant, a modern reinvention of a Toledo tavern where guests can indulge in traditional Spanish cuisine, featuring high quality, local market ingredients. If guests would prefer to sample the city’s delicacies in the comfort of the hotel, a local restaurant delivery service is available upon request.

Guests looking to be pampered are welcomed at the hotel’s spa and wellness centre, Eugenia’s Bath, a peaceful and private sanctuary, and the city’s only spa situated in the historical neighbourhood. The spa features a steam bath, sauna and jet-pool facilities, surrounded by breath-taking original Roman architecture. Guests can also treat themselves to a range of health and beauty treatments.

Nestled within ancient Toledo, just a stone’s throw from the iconic Cathedral and Jewish Quarter, the hotel provides the ultimate destination for travellers and culture seekers to explore Toledo’s many iconic sites including El Greco’s masterpiece at the Church of Santo Tomé, the Cristo de la Luz Mosque, and the Alcázar Fortress. "
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
We recently had a one-night points stay. Most nights this property is between 100-150 euros, but it looks like it can be as low as 83 euros on prepaid rates. So it's a pretty lousy use of points at 35k, but we reserved in August when it was 25k. Still didn't seem like a great use of points since our room was available at 97 euros a couple of days before checkin, but we don't have a better use of points right now so we opted to conserve the cash.

We were assigned an upgraded Chantilly room. It was lovely and spacious – had a King bed, large seating area with a couch, and a large bathroom with 2 sinks and separate toilet area. I had checked that morning and no suites or even Chantilly rooms were available for purchase, so we were happy to get the upgrade.

Titanium breakfast benefit was a buffet which included cold protein choices (meats & cheeses, yogurt, Spanish tortilla). I don’t remember if anything was offered for an upcharge.

Here’s the only negative: Don’t drive here. Just don’t. I got an email the night before our stay at about 11:30PM informing us that the hotel doesn’t have any parking, suggesting the use of a parking garage next door. This isn’t clear on the website – the website says “offsite parking” and lists the charge. For some reason I assumed that meant they’d take responsibility for the parking, but no. Since there were no reviews of the hotel here on FT, I went to other sites and luckily found negative reviews about the parking, so I wasn’t completely shocked when we showed up and the garage was full. The reviews had also said that the hotel would offer no assistance in this case, so we quickly made our own plan. There’s a large *free* parking area across from the bus station, just outside the old town, about a 10-minute drive from the hotel. We drove back down the hill and left the car there, and walked across the street to the bus station. It was approx. 7 euros for a taxi back up the hill. So we actually saved $ by parking down there and taking a taxi to/from the hotel, compared to the daily parking rate. (Note: There’s a guy in an orange vest standing at the entrance to the lot. As we walked out, he asked for a tip. My husband, who’s fluent in Spanish, breezily informed him that he didn’t have any cash, the guy replied OK, and we kept walking.) Oh, and when we checked in, the clerk asked if we had a car and we told here where we’d parked. “Good idea!” she said.

The location in the old city is great. One night is plenty to see the Cathedral and the El Greco museum and a quick stop at the cafe on top of the army museum/Alcazar. (this was a tip from the desk clerk - you can tell then you're going to the cafe and you get a free limited admission ticket to go directly to the cafe). I don’t think we could have filled up another day. The area was much more expensive and touristy than any of the other places we visited in Spain.

Summary: Nice property, good elite benefits, don't use points, lousy parking. Stay for one night.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by ehallison; Apr 10, 2019 at 8:13 am
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for the review. I’ll be spending a night there next month. I wasn’t even going to Toledo but found the rates to be so cheap so decided to spend a night there.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the review & the tip about parking. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
IIRC you can order eggs from the server for your breakfast. Also, they had eggs benedicts out on the buffet that were lukewarm by the time I had them, but were still good. Had no problems with late checkout here, and was also upgraded to the Chantilly room.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
IIRC you can order eggs from the server for your breakfast. Also, they had eggs benedicts out on the buffet that were lukewarm by the time I had them, but were still good. Had no problems with late checkout here, and was also upgraded to the Chantilly room.
Oh, I forgot to mention that they offered us late checkout of 2pm which we accepted. (Didn't push for later because we had a deadline to get to Madrid to return our car)
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:59 am

I was there few day ago and I must confirm excellent review posted here before. Just some additional comments and few photos. I was very niceley surprised with this hotel and I can say that I received the service I expected and it was pretty good. The hotel is extremely nicely decorated, in an old-fashioned style that I really liked. I could safely say that the hotel looks exactly as I imagined a historic Spanish hotel. The treatment of Elite Members (platinum) is perfect - I got absolutely everything I should. I would point out an upgrade to a first-floor suite that was beautiful, spacious, sunny, with a small balcony (which I still don't understand why it can't be used - the hotel says Marriott forbade them to allow guests to enter the balcony). The bathroom is also very nice and spacious, and I especially liked the aromatherapy shower. The apartment also had free minibar included which was a very nice gesture.
The hotel has a small spa in the basement, which is very nice, but it is required to book an appointment and stay is charged separately per hour. The restaurant was nice but very poorly visited. The food quality was excellent, but I think they should still have a slightly larger selection of original Spanish dishes and thus attract more guests. Another recommendation would be to send the waitress for an English course - although she was extremely friendly, she had great difficulty in fluent communication and explanation of dishes.
Breakfast was perfect - very friendly waiters with a good knowledge of English, a very good choice of food from warm to cold dishes, with a particularly good assortment of sweet and eggs to be orderes separetly.
All in all, this is a hotel that has my every recommendation and I sincerely hope to be their guest again.

Breakfast (part of it)

Dinner

Dinner

Dinner

Suite

Suite

Bathroom

Restaurant

Lobby

Hotel
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Had an amazing stay here. Was upgraded to the presidential suite as an ambassador which was very nice.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:06 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi, anyone knows if it is easy to take train from hotel to MAD airport? We have one day outside Madrid on the way back home. Like to stay at Toledo for one night.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
Hi, anyone knows if it is easy to take train from hotel to MAD airport? We have one day outside Madrid on the way back home. Like to stay at Toledo for one night.
I took the train there and actually flew out of MAD after staying there. So def doable but budget plenty of time.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:00 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by SP03
I took the train there and actually flew out of MAD after staying there. So def doable but budget plenty of time.
How much time? 3-4 hours ahead of flight time? Or even more?

Some also mentioned Segovia. But I do not see any Marriott hotel over there.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
How much time? 3-4 hours ahead of flight time? Or even more?

Some also mentioned Segovia. But I do not see any Marriott hotel over there.
I budgeted 4 hours between the train departure and flight departure. So add time to get from hotel to train station.
RedSun likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
The Avant train takes you from Toledo to Madrid Atocha station in 33 minutes.
Depending on which terminal you are departing from (UA T1 or OW T4), as T1/T2 and T4 are quite far. There is a frequent free intra-terminal bus.
If you are departing from T4, you have to buy a separate train ticket (2.60) to the airport. From Atocha, you need to walk to the local train platform and take C1 or C10 towards Airport. I am not sure if the construction is finished, you may have to change in Madrid-Chamartin station.
The alternative is to take the airport direct bus from Atocha station. Which will stop at every stations at the airport. I don't recommend the bus during peak business hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.