FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1906860-marriott-bonvoy-ambassador-elite-level-experiences-2020-earlier.html)

txpenny Jan 8, 2019 10:10 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 30627276)
The numbers will go down on February 1, so hopefully service will go up!

How? Isn't this a new benefit rolled out on 8.18.18? Is the falloff due to SPG folks that didn't qualify during 18, but did during 17?

C17PSGR Jan 8, 2019 11:02 am

Originally Posted by txpenny (Post 30627597)
How? Isn't this a new benefit rolled out on 8.18.18? Is the falloff due to SPG folks that didn't qualify during 18, but did during 17?

As of today, the pool of individuals with ambassador service consists of:

1. SPG members who had 100 nights in 2017
2. Legacy MR members who had an ambassadors
3. SPG members who had 100 nights in 2018
4. MPG who had 100 nights and 20k spend

On February 1, 2019, some of group 1 and group 2 will no longer qualify so the group will be smaller. I can't say how much, but it will be smaller.

On February 1, 2020, group 3 won't be an option. There seem to be a lot of regular FTer's who were legacy SPGers with 100 nights reporting that they won't have 20k in spend.

UA-NYC Jan 8, 2019 11:43 am

Reminds of the argument that of course complimentary flight upgrades will go up when status level qualifications increase...lol

bhrubin Jan 8, 2019 11:50 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 30628030)
Reminds of the argument that of course complimentary flight upgrades will go up when status level qualifications increase...lol

Haha. Well, depending on the popularity and origin/destination of the flights involved, that can be true. Or not true. Just as fewer elites can mean better upgrade chances at less frequented hotels...and not much change at more frequented hotels.

ac/elite Jan 8, 2019 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 30627103)
That is presuming MPG will maintain their current staff and not reduce it as members roll off the program. If the bean counters are in charge then they will work to keep the same ratio or raise it so each ambassador has the same or more members assigned.

My ambassador, who I’ve had for a number of years and have been very happy with, told me recently that she’s now up to something like 500 members assigned to her. She said that her boss has been interviewing like crazy to hire more ambassadors.

flyerbjorn Jan 8, 2019 3:07 pm

I wonder how many are in the 100+ nights, but less than $20k category. I can't even remember the last time I paid less than $200/night.

Mister Nice Jan 8, 2019 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by ac/elite (Post 30628660)

My ambassador, who I’ve had for a number of years and have been very happy with, told me recently that she’s now up to something like 500 members assigned to her. She said that her boss has been interviewing like crazy to hire more ambassadors.

Wow - 500 is quite a large number . Things could get unwieldy pretty quickly . It’s good that they are hiring .

damon88 Jan 8, 2019 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn (Post 30629011)
I wonder how many are in the 100+ nights, but less than $20k category. I can't even remember the last time I paid less than $200/night.

At first I also wondered how it was even possible to spend 100 nights and not spend 20K but then I remembered that many of those nights could be points redemptions. There is also the possibility of earning 15 nights from the CC and 10 nights from a meeting (I've never done one of those myself but they seem to be popular) And then overseas members report much cheaper rates than we get used to in large US cities. So total revenue nights could only be 60 or less for some. At even $250 per night those members would be short.

longtimereader firstimeposter Jan 8, 2019 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by damon88 (Post 30629128)
At first I also wondered how it was even possible to spend 100 nights and not spend 20K but then I remembered that many of those nights could be points redemptions. There is also the possibility of earning 15 nights from the CC and 10 nights from a meeting (I've never done one of those myself but they seem to be popular) And then overseas members report much cheaper rates than we get used to in large US cities. So total revenue nights could only be 60 or less for some. At even $250 per night those members would be short.

135 nights and around $17,000 in spend. Probably around 10 or so of those are points related.

Generally, my stays are $150 or less at full service Marriott properties (Westin, Sheraton, Marriott, Renaissance, Le Meridian, etc.) unless I'm travelling to DC, NYC or San Francisco. My current travel takes me to a city where the full service Marriott, Westin and Sheraton are all below $125 a night with our corporate discount.

EuropeanPete Jan 8, 2019 3:58 pm

The people who would find it most difficult could be American residents who travel in Asia - I think there have been a few here.

Let’s say they get 15 credit card nights and then burn some credit card points on another 20 nights. With 100 nights on file they might only have 65 paid nights which could be well below $300 a night.

Those of us non-US residents (minus selected countries) have to do 100 bums in beds nights anyways, and as we don’t get anything like the same number of credit card miles most of us will have far fewer points nights. So all of a sudden $200 a night, especially in major metropolitan centres doesn’t seem very difficult.

HollyGlen Jan 8, 2019 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn (Post 30629011)

108 nights, all paid at full-service "five-star" establishments, 12k spend.

If your travel is mostly in SE Asia and you aren't staying in St Regis or LCs (of which there aren't many), you will probably end up roughly where I am spend-wise. You could also spend a lot, lot less.

C17PSGR Jan 8, 2019 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 30629231)
The people who would find it most difficult could be American residents who travel in Asia - I think there have been a few here.

Let’s say they get 15 credit card nights and then burn some credit card points on another 20 nights. With 100 nights on file they might only have 65 paid nights which could be well below $300 a night.

Those of us non-US residents (minus selected countries) have to do 100 bums in beds nights anyways, and as we don’t get anything like the same number of credit card miles most of us will have far fewer points nights. So all of a sudden $200 a night, especially in major metropolitan centres doesn’t seem very difficult.

After all of these comments that SPG has more higher end properties ,,, I was surprised to see this as an issue but it seems to apply to many.

I don't really use points much so my stays, less 15 credit card nights, are paid. I travel responsibly when traveling on other peoples money and often pay less than $200 a night even in LA and NYC with eligible rates. I'm less responsible when traveling on my own. Still, with 130 actual nights last year, I still averaged $200 a night when taking into account bar/food/spa.

escape4 Jan 8, 2019 5:05 pm

My ambassador also told me that in February the service levels will increase drastically. It cannot be because of a sudden surge in hiring - this must be because AMB guest count will fall off a cliff.

Dr. HFH Jan 8, 2019 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 30629496)
My ambassador also told me that in February the service levels will increase drastically. It cannot be because of a sudden surge in hiring - this must be because AMB guest count will fall off a cliff.

Maybe there is some ongoing training which will be completed in February.

PointWeasel Jan 8, 2019 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by HollyGlen (Post 30629474)
108 nights, all paid at full-service "five-star" establishments, 12k spend.

If your travel is mostly in SE Asia and you aren't staying in St Regis or LCs (of which there aren't many), you will probably end up roughly where I am spend-wise. You could also spend a lot, lot less.

Agreed.

I finished with 152 nights and under the 20K USD threshold.

Marriott is very US-centric is this regard, which is fine as I do not miss my Ambassador, just need a knowledgable Platinum agent of which there are none.

I have already cancelled three Starriott stays in favour of Hilton and Fairmont (ugh, Accor) and Hyatt.