FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1906860-marriott-bonvoy-ambassador-elite-level-experiences-2020-earlier.html)

GTJoe Jan 3, 2019 6:38 pm

I wanted to provide further data about my experience so far:

We had a stay booked over the Christmas holiday in New Orleans (at an Autograph Collection property). Given that this was an actual vacation with my significant other, I noted that with my Ambassador and she alerted the hotel and made preparations. In order to maximize our chances at a suite upgrade, I used SNAs for the stay. Leading up to the stay, the SNAs were declined and upon arrival, no upgrade was had, nor did the hotel even recognize ANY status that I had, much less Ambassador status. We were given a very noisy room that was in poor repair (doors getting stuck on door frames, showerhead making screaming noise, drawers coming completely out of the mounting, etc.), despite the front desk stating this was one of their "very best rooms."

Needless to say, after two days of interrupted sleep due to noise, I approached the front desk about moving or perhaps being upgraded. Management agreed to move us, but didn't really care to hear about the issues. More irritating was the fact that the manager on duty told me that, "Normally we'd upgrade you to a suite, but we can't do that because everyone is using their SNAs due to the holiday." I quickly mentioned that I was particularly frustrated to hear that, as I attempted to use my SNAs, but was rebuffed. Later that evening, the manager did call me and offered to give me a suite for two of the remaining three nights, but we'd have to change rooms again for the last night of the stay, which made no sense to me. They found another room for us that was in better repair and we had a more relaxing remainder of the stay. But frankly, I was soured on the hotel after my experience. Hotel management did not make any offers of points or even inquiries as to our happiness after that.

I don't want to complain to my Ambassador non-stop, so she was not aware of any of this. I spoke with her the other day to talk about an upcoming vacation I was planning and I just dropped a comment that she may want to steer other guests away from this particular hotel, as there are many great options on Canal Street (JW Marriott, Marriott, Sheraton, Ritz-Carlton). She asked for more information about the stay and I went through the above information. Then she dropped a bit of a bombshell on me, she asked if we had received the champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and the personal note that she sent. I was surprised to hear of this, because nothing like that even came close to happening. Apparently she had arranged for all of that to be sent to our room and the hotel completely ignored it. I was a little disappointed at the stay to begin with, but now even more so! Frankly, my Ambassador sounded quite irritated as well. She stated that she was going to be talking with Ambassador Services management as well as the hotel about this. I don't know if I'll hear anything more about it, but I can imagine that it's very frustrating for Ambassadors to try to do nice things and for hotels to completely drop the ball. The hotels are the ones ultimately responsible for delivering on Ambassador-level service and I think that's a large reason why we see so much inconsistency in the program.

Sorry for the novel!

hockeyinsider Jan 3, 2019 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by yeunganson (Post 30606658)
Here's my take on the Ambassador situation.

I got my ambassador after the merge until 2020. I didn't get a call by early September so I called the SPG platinum line asking if I actually got assigned an ambassador. Within a week, I got a call back from my ambassador. I think this is early stages before they got seriously swamped. The chat was a friendly one. My ambassador serves both Platinum Premier members and Marriott Five Star members. Turned out these status are given out to like Marriott Board of Directors and such. I asked my ambassador to look deeper if my status was an accident. After some searching, he suggest I not dig any deeper and enjoy what I have until 2020. At that time, my ambassador admitted he have a stack of new Plat Premier members he have yet to call to say he is their ambassador and his work load gone up a lot. I promised him I will limit my requests for I assumed this was just a temporary peak . In September and October, once a month I just ask for follow up when hotel fail to post my welcome bonus and make a green choice. By November, I notice the reply isn't as fast (like a few hours) as when first started and sometimes I don't hear back for days and the reply when it does come back came from a stand-in ambassador.

I do have to give credit that in September, I had one of the best upgrades (penthouse level upgrade) I ever had with the program in Victoria. That booking was with my ambassador so it's possible something was done.

The important trip came for my X'mas vacation to Osaka. I emailed the general ambassador address to nudge the St Regis Osaka (my first time there) with the best thing they have. I used my Suite Night Upgrades. I asked ambassdor general line to request the hotel to find me good restaurants in Kyoto for X'mas eve and a location for a haircut. It took days before a reply and a promise that the hotel will reach out to me - it didn't happen. I had to use Flyertalk St Regis Thread to locate the hotel butler email to contact hotel directly. A week before my arrival, I emailed the general ambassador email address to see if they have any influence at the hotel to push for some suite upgrades. I didn't get a reply. The Suite Night Awards didn't clear but I was upgraded to a bigger room. Unless there are other paid guests that paid for all the suites, I couldn't see how the Suite Night Award + Ambassador + Marriott Five Star status could have lose out.

After my return from Japan, I emailed the genreal ambassador email again to chase down the welcome bonus and green choice - this one I got a reply in 2 days.

Overall, it feels (in the exception of September and October when program first started), I am getting similar level as SPG Platinum Concierge. Again I heard horror stories of the SPG Platinum line now being forwarded to normal staff... So I don't know if why things are degrading so fast. Was there a flood of newly minted Platinum Premier members with ambassador? In theory there should be the similar number of ambassador staff before the merger and post-merger and there should be similar number of very elite members that qualify for ambassadors pre and post merger....

I'm confused.

You have platinum premier ambassador or five-star and ambassador?

C17PSGR Jan 3, 2019 6:46 pm

I got my ambassador after the merge until 2020. I didn't get a call by early September so I called the SPG platinum line asking if I actually got assigned an ambassador. Within a week, I got a call back from my ambassador. I think this is early stages before they got seriously swamped. The chat was a friendly one. My ambassador serves both Platinum Premier members and Marriott Five Star members. Turned out these status are given out to like Marriott Board of Directors and such. I asked my ambassador to look deeper if my status was an accident. After some searching, he suggest I not dig any deeper and enjoy what I have until 2020. At that time, my ambassador admitted he have a stack of new Plat Premier members he have yet to call to say he is their ambassador and his work load gone up a lot. I promised him I will limit my requests for I assumed this was just a temporary peak . In September and October, once a month I just ask for follow up when hotel fail to post my welcome bonus and make a green choice. By November, I notice the reply isn't as fast (like a few hours) as when first started and sometimes I don't hear back for days and the reply when it does come back came from a stand-in ambassador.

I do have to give credit that in September, I had one of the best upgrades (penthouse level upgrade) I ever had with the program in Victoria. That booking was with my ambassador so it's possible something was done.

The important trip came for my X'mas vacation to Osaka. I emailed the general ambassador address to nudge the St Regis Osaka (my first time there) with the best thing they have. I used my Suite Night Upgrades. I asked ambassdor general line to request the hotel to find me good restaurants in Kyoto for X'mas eve and a location for a haircut. It took days before a reply and a promise that the hotel will reach out to me - it didn't happen. I had to use Flyertalk St Regis Thread to locate the hotel butler email to contact hotel directly. A week before my arrival, I emailed the general ambassador email address to see if they have any influence at the hotel to push for some suite upgrades. I didn't get a reply. The Suite Night Awards didn't clear but I was upgraded to a bigger room. Unless there are other paid guests that paid for all the suites, I couldn't see how the Suite Night Award + Ambassador + Marriott Five Star status could have lose out.

After my return from Japan, I emailed the genreal ambassador email again to chase down the welcome bonus and green choice - this one I got a reply in 2 days.

Overall, it feels (in the exception of September and October when program first started), I am getting similar level as SPG Platinum Concierge. Again I heard horror stories of the SPG Platinum line now being forwarded to normal staff... So I don't know if why things are degrading so fast. Was there a flood of newly minted Platinum Premier members with ambassador? In theory there should be the similar number of ambassador staff before the merger and post-merger and there should be similar number of very elite members that qualify for ambassadors pre and post merger....

The number of those who have ambassador service will climb through the end of the year and then drop off on February 1 -- that's just basic probability as more people meet the standard while those from last year remain a constant. In January 2020, it will likely drop further as the legacy SPG qualification goes away.

As for the Five Star -- there are reports on here from late August of that mysteriously appearing and then going away -- apparently because of IT miscoding. I know my status on the app changed a couple of times and then was fixed. I'd be very surprised but please let us know.

Additionally, I can't imagine the hotel wouldn't roll out of the movie star treatment if you were coded as a Five Star, Is that still showing on your app? Please let us know what the app shows now.

hockeyinsider Jan 3, 2019 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 30606789)
Additionally, I can't imagine the hotel wouldn't roll out of the movie star treatment if you were coded as a Five Star, Is that still showing on your app? Please let us know what the app shows now.

Assuming some random property, most likely managed by a third-party, knows what it is.

bhrubin Jan 3, 2019 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by GTJoe (Post 30606757)
I wanted to provide further data about my experience so far:

We had a stay booked over the Christmas holiday in New Orleans (at an Autograph Collection property). Given that this was an actual vacation with my significant other, I noted that with my Ambassador and she alerted the hotel and made preparations. In order to maximize our chances at a suite upgrade, I used SNAs for the stay. Leading up to the stay, the SNAs were declined and upon arrival, no upgrade was had, nor did the hotel even recognize ANY status that I had, much less Ambassador status. We were given a very noisy room that was in poor repair (doors getting stuck on door frames, showerhead making screaming noise, drawers coming completely out of the mounting, etc.), despite the front desk stating this was one of their "very best rooms."

Needless to say, after two days of interrupted sleep due to noise, I approached the front desk about moving or perhaps being upgraded. Management agreed to move us, but didn't really care to hear about the issues. More irritating was the fact that the manager on duty told me that, "Normally we'd upgrade you to a suite, but we can't do that because everyone is using their SNAs due to the holiday." I quickly mentioned that I was particularly frustrated to hear that, as I attempted to use my SNAs, but was rebuffed. Later that evening, the manager did call me and offered to give me a suite for two of the remaining three nights, but we'd have to change rooms again for the last night of the stay, which made no sense to me. They found another room for us that was in better repair and we had a more relaxing remainder of the stay. But frankly, I was soured on the hotel after my experience. Hotel management did not make any offers of points or even inquiries as to our happiness after that.

I don't want to complain to my Ambassador non-stop, so she was not aware of any of this. I spoke with her the other day to talk about an upcoming vacation I was planning and I just dropped a comment that she may want to steer other guests away from this particular hotel, as there are many great options on Canal Street (JW Marriott, Marriott, Sheraton, Ritz-Carlton). She asked for more information about the stay and I went through the above information. Then she dropped a bit of a bombshell on me, she asked if we had received the champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and the personal note that she sent. I was surprised to hear of this, because nothing like that even came close to happening. Apparently she had arranged for all of that to be sent to our room and the hotel completely ignored it. I was a little disappointed at the stay to begin with, but now even more so! Frankly, my Ambassador sounded quite irritated as well. She stated that she was going to be talking with Ambassador Services management as well as the hotel about this. I don't know if I'll hear anything more about it, but I can imagine that it's very frustrating for Ambassadors to try to do nice things and for hotels to completely drop the ball. The hotels are the ones ultimately responsible for delivering on Ambassador-level service and I think that's a large reason why we see so much inconsistency in the program.

Sorry for the novel!

Thnaks for sharing...even as I’m sorry you had such a poor stay.

I have said for many years that many of the complaints levied at the Ambassdors are better directed to the hotels that fail to execute. Bad hotels don’t execute well, regardless of how good an Ambassdor may or may not be. Your Ambassador in this case did her job very well, but the hotel simply blew it. A true shame.

Hopefully, this unfortunate incident had made you more aware that your Ambassador actually is pretty good at her job and has been trying hard to make some of your hotel stays more special. In the future, hopefully you will have better luck in choosing better hotels—and she can take better care to follow up to better ensure yo get what she intends!

For everyone else, I do hope that this unfortunate example may make others realize that many if not most of the problems we experience at hotels are rarely the fault of our Ambassadors. They aren’t perfect, but the hotels are far more likely to get it wrong than perhaps some have assumed about their Ambassadors.

Again, the better the hotel, the better the chances that hotels will execute an excellent stay and execute whatever requests your Ambassador may have requested on your behalf.

kaizen7 Jan 4, 2019 1:19 am

About StR Osaka and their suite, I wont be surprised if they really sold out their suites (as in people paid for them)

Starwood Lurker IV Jan 4, 2019 2:22 am

Originally Posted by BHammy (Post 30606520)
My ambassador data points:

- Don't even know who my ambassador is. Got emailed by her about 9 months ago when I hit qualifications. Have emailed 'her' three times I think - two of those times gotten responses from somebody else.
- Of those responses, they are of VERY little help. Ask for Your24 in Moscow, get told they'll try but it's not guaranteed.
Latest response today was from my asking about utilizing meetings by the hotel sales manager to get a full allotment of points from the 22 rooms I book at one hotel (over the same weekend)
My email:
"What do I need to do to get points credits for multiple rooms.
I'm not worried about the stay credits, as I'm lifetime plat already, that I understand is now down to just the room of the MR member.
I'm looking for the room night points credits, which I understand can be up to three rooms, but I'm looking at 3+ rooms, at different hotels in different cities, and will have over 20 rooms for nearly a week coming up in March.
Do I need to setup a group/meeting session with the sales manager at each hotel to get the points I should be earning?"

Response:
"I understand you are wanting to know how to get credit for multiple rooms.
Members now only earn Points for up to three additional rooms. Provided you physically stay in one of the rooms, they are booked under your loyalty number and you pay for all of the rooms.
If you have any further questions or future travel needs the team and I are always here for you. "

Which in of itself is wrong - it implies that I could get credit for FOUR rooms ("up to three additional rooms")

So I'm not really sure what an ambassador is good for...might have to read through this thread to see what they can/will do besides copy/paste answers.

If you would like us to pass your feedback to Ambassador team, please PM us your information.

Best Regards,

Abbey Liu

Specialist, Social Media
Marriott International
[email protected]

deac83 Jan 4, 2019 2:52 am

I'll say it again, first off all Ambassadors are not created equally. It took my 4th one, and yes I pushed for the changes, to find one that delivered on what I think the promise is.

As such I've learned a few things about how the, at least former, system worked for SNA. If you put in for a SNA it's all automated at that point. Your Ambassador has zero influence over the fulfillment of a SNA. In fact it prevents the Ambassador from negotiating with the hotel on getting you any kind of suite. I've had my Ambassador tell me not to use them since she knew the property and could likely get us into a suite.

It's probably not as black and white as this, but I've found if my SNA doesn't clear 5 nights ahead, they won't clear at all. Just remember only getting 10 per year we only have limited data points unless you are using the one or two at a time, which to me is a waste as I want at least a 5 night block (which also make them harder to clear).

Another point, I was Plat Prem for nearly 10 years, that program was useless as they had no real defined benefits, which is why I dropped Marriott and went to SPG to get an Ambassador. So I was not happy about Marriott acquiring SPG, IMO, Hyatt was the match as their top level matched best with SPG.

I'm betting Marriott gritted their teeth when they decided to keep the Ambassador program. All I know is that mine, who I have an excellent relationship with, is not over worked and is sending me email responses outside her normal work hours. My prediction is the program will be diluted at some point.

Keyser Jan 4, 2019 3:45 am

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 30603618)
Thanks, I would love the 1-800 number by PM as well then. The only number I have is my ambassador's number which is supposed to redirect me somewhere else off hours, but it fails too often...

i've been facing this problem as well over the last couple of months....very often my travel plans for the following week are finalized on a friday evening....i usually need your24 for an early check-in on a monday morning....the redirect on my ambassador's number doesn't work more than 50% of the time....

exploreaswego Jan 4, 2019 8:58 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30607070)

Thnaks for sharing...even as I’m sorry you had such a poor stay.

I have said for many years that many of the complaints levied at the Ambassdors are better directed to the hotels that fail to execute. Bad hotels don’t execute well, regardless of how good an Ambassdor may or may not be. Your Ambassador in this case did her job very well, but the hotel simply blew it. A true shame.

Hopefully, this unfortunate incident had made you more aware that your Ambassador actually is pretty good at her job and has been trying hard to make some of your hotel stays more special. In the future, hopefully you will have better luck in choosing better hotels—and she can take better care to follow up to better ensure yo get what she intends!

For everyone else, I do hope that this unfortunate example may make others realize that many if not most of the problems we experience at hotels are rarely the fault of our Ambassadors. They aren’t perfect, but the hotels are far more likely to get it wrong than perhaps some have assumed about their Ambassadors.

Again, the better the hotel, the better the chances that hotels will execute an excellent stay and execute whatever requests your Ambassador may have requested on your behalf.

Completely agree here. I always make it a point to leave a TA review, more so to warn other elites about these certain black sheep hotels that don't honor any benefits or perks. Likewise, when a hotel really goes above and beyond to make our stay very enjoyable -- granting me suite upgrades or sending bfast to my room as such (despite most properties limiting to only "continental bfast" can only be consumed at the restaurant), I will also make it a point to commend them in TA for their generosity. Relying on our own research via TA is quite reliable by typing in "elite", "gold" or "Platinum" in the reviews as key words has worked well for us thus far. It will always more of a miss when it comes upgrades during the Holidays, and especially so when certain luxury properties are smaller in size with over the roof seasonal occupancy rate.

MSPeconomist Jan 4, 2019 12:45 pm

I trust FT a lot more than TA for hotel (and other) reviews.

CLEguy Jan 4, 2019 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30610070)

"It rained during our stay. Two stars."

bhrubin Jan 4, 2019 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30610070)

Indeed.

Thought we do get a lot of this on FlyerTalk: “I had a stay over Christmas or New Year’s at hotel X—which was completely full—and my SNAs didn’t clear and I wasn’t upgraded at all on arrival. My Ambassador obviously is useless and Platinum status doesn’t mean much.”

MSPeconomist Jan 4, 2019 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by CLEguy (Post 30610079)
"It rained during our stay. Two stars."

My favorite was the one that said that some horrid brand was the best hotel in town because it had a fast elevator.

damon88 Jan 4, 2019 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30610157)
My favorite was the one that said that some horrid brand was the best hotel in town because it had a fast elevator.

There is an art to reading TA reviews. After a while it is easy to weed out the idiots (bad review for Michelin restaurant because “the portions were too small” ). I actually can learn a lot by focusing on trusted reviewers.

But yes- in general FT is much more trustworthy!