Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it was my understanding that you only qualified for a proper new Marriott Loyalty Program Ambassador after Aug 18 and didn’t have an SPG Ambassador before Aug 18.

Your unpublished Marriott Rewards concierge/Ambassdor before Aug 18 isn’t the same quantity as any SPG Ambassador nor any post-Aug 18 Marrriott Loyalty Program Ambassador and therefore doesn’t reflect on what is being discussed here.

We aren’t talking about SPG reservations here; we’re talking about SPG and now post Aug 18 Marriott Ambassadors (and Ambassador status) helping to cancel a refundable booking within the normal cancel window when it otherwise isn’t technically possible. It doesn’t much matter whether a hotel releases one from a booking because it recognizes your Ambassador status or does it because an Ambassdor called and shared that status: either way, being Ambassdor status ultimately helped affect the perk.
Sort of true ... but the same SPG hotels who wouldn't allow cancellations for platinum members before 8/18 are being run by the same people as before 8/18 so I'm skeptical this is a current policy.

And,. while the conference call info for MR and for the various hotel operators who have reported this month didn't show the concerns that are being discussed here on FT, all of the conference calls discussed the trend toward moving to a 72 hour cancellation policy.at all the major chains and how the hotel operators were pushing for that across the chains. So, that would also make me skeptical this is a current policy.

That being said, I hope it is!!!!! I got whacked with a large payment earlier this year at the StR Punta Mita when I had to cancel a trip at the last minute. No willingness to negotiate anything ... even including a future credit. They didn't care that I was a SPG Plat then so I doubt they will care that I have an SPG ambassador now.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
As bhrubin has said, having an Ambassador can undeniably help. If nothing else, it takes a major issue from a member of the front desk to revenue management or the GM. That in itself changes the likely resolution.

This still sounds like an issue with having an Ambassador allows Marriott to take a longer term view of profitability, rather than it being a secret and incredibly beneficial policy that we’ve not been told about.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:42 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
My Ambassador helped with a penalty free cancellation after my husband’s accident. She also negotiated a 1:30 pm checkin and 4 pm checkout at a Resort property this week.

I am really frustrated with Marriott’s IT right now, but my Ambassador has gone a long way in mitigating my displeasure.

I am reassured knowing I have an advocate in my corner.

C17PSGR and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:39 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Sort of true ... but the same SPG hotels who wouldn't allow cancellations for platinum members before 8/18 are being run by the same people as before 8/18 so I'm skeptical this is a current policy.
Except those of us with legacy SPG who had legacy SPG Ambassadors were able to almost always (but perhaps not always) get released from bookings even within the 24-48 hr windows—when SPG hotels wouldn’t let any regular or even Plat elites get such releases.

You’re talking apples and oranges here. Plat members aren’t the same as Ambassador members.

And we already have below several examples of post-Aug 18 Ambassadors doing the same thing for Ambassador guests. It isn’t a policy or rule; it’s just another unwritten and non-guaranteed perk that having Ambassador status and/or having an Ambassador advocating on our behalf can offer us as Ambassador VIP guests. There’s no reason to be skeptical: we already see herein numerous examples cited for Ambassador guests since Aug 18.

The fact that Ambassador guests can do it all is a definite good thing, even if we can’t do it in every scenario.

And,. while the conference call info for MR and for the various hotel operators who have reported this month didn't show the concerns that are being discussed here on FT, all of the conference calls discussed the trend toward moving to a 72 hour cancellation policy at all the major chains and how the hotel operators were pushing for that across the chains. So, that would also make me skeptical this is a current policy.
Makes the Ambassador impact of getting released from a booking within the said 72 hr or 48 hr cancel window all the more valuable to us as Ambassador guests. Even if we don’t get it all the time, it is nice to have the chance to be able to cancel closer in even some of the time. Again, you seem to be ignoring the many examples provided already where Ambassador guests have enjoyed this perk since Aug 18.

That being said, I hope it is!!!!! I got whacked with a large payment earlier this year at the StR Punta Mita when I had to cancel a trip at the last minute. No willingness to negotiate anything ... even including a future credit. They didn't care that I was a SPG Plat then so I doubt they will care that I have an SPG ambassador now.
Wasn’t your StR Punta Mita stay prior to Aug 18 when you didn’t have a SPG legacy Ambassador anyway?

Even so, not every hotel might be able to offer Ambassdor guests an easier out to cancel. But we most certainly should appreciate the overwhelming majority that can and will under most circumstances. Your assumption that the StR Punta Mita wouldnt have worked with you had you had Ambassador status smacks of a curious cynicism and an inability to accept that Ambassador service really does have some perks—especially since others have provided so many examples to prove the point.

My own Ambassador helped me turn a non-refundable night at the StR Bora Bora into a credit for me to use for the rest of my stay after Air Tahiti Nui canceled our LAX-PPT flight back in April 2016. We had to fly out a day later. The fault obviously wasn’t mine, nor was it the hotel’s. But my Ambassador saved me $2000 by getting the hotel to compromise.

“I hope it is” is the spirit we are looking for.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Just another data point. Staying at Wailea Beach Resort with the family. Front desk recognized Ambassador status and said I had been marked as a VIP for this trip. We had booked a 2 bedroom Oceanfront room but they upgraded us to a speciality suite (presidential) for our stay and comped is lunch while we waited for the room to be ready. Ambassador status obviously has some serious value. Btw, I did not even discuss this stay with my ambassador or ask for any special perks.
C17PSGR, damon88 and svo242 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin

This is not a published policy or rule now with Marriott nor was it previously with SPG. But it is a perk that I’ve occasionally received. Not being published, it isn’t guaranteed. But it’s more like an understanding that your Ambassador status will have impact more than likely in such circumstances. Let’s try to not abuse or take for granted that privilege!
Hyatt has a similar policy for Globalists, but AFAIK it isn't a published benefit. My Hyatt Concierge explained it to me as official policy.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
I’ve had zero recognition of Ambassador status at legacy SPG properties this year. I’ve barely been thanked for being Platinum (no longer the right level so no clue what the system is showing). Even two stays in Japan at Prince Gallery (repeat and paid stay) and St Regis Osaka (points) and zero recognition of ambassador (despite asking Ambassador to contact about a King room instead of two doubles and they didn’t do it) SNAs didn’t clear, received regular room (were showing mostly full), and zero welcome amenity. Hugely disappointing.

Looking forward to not qualifying for Ambassador this year after 4-5 years of receiving sometimes worse perks (no status colleagues getting way better upgrades and welcome amenities) and stopping at 75-80 nights. Maximizing Hyatt promos and hitting 80 nights instead.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Duke777
I’ve had zero recognition of Ambassador status at legacy SPG properties this year. I’ve barely been thanked for being Platinum (no longer the right level so no clue what the system is showing). Even two stays in Japan at Prince Gallery (repeat and paid stay) and St Regis Osaka (points) and zero recognition of ambassador (despite asking Ambassador to contact about a King room instead of two doubles and they didn’t do it) SNAs didn’t clear, received regular room (were showing mostly full), and zero welcome amenity. Hugely disappointing.

Looking forward to not qualifying for Ambassador this year after 4-5 years of receiving sometimes worse perks (no status colleagues getting way better upgrades and welcome amenities) and stopping at 75-80 nights. Maximizing Hyatt promos and hitting 80 nights instead.
Same experience since the merger in August. No welcome amenity in the room whatsoever, even at properties where I've received one in the past. Friends with lower status receiving better upgrades. The only benefit I've received is being able to email my ambassador about all my missing stays.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

This reminds me that I was asked a couple days ago whether I wanted a welcome amenity or points. I picked the amenity, so basically I'm paying for my welcome gift. This was a case where my Ambassador told me that she contacted the property about getting a really nice upgrade, but when I checked in the front desk employee asked me to prove that I had Ambassador status.

SNAs didn't clear and I was given a regular room on a high floor, then moved today to a (standard) junior suite on a higher floor with a nice view. I had been watching availability and didn't expect the SNAs to clear (although it probably didn't help that I had to reapply them after receiving a strange middle of the night email saying that my SNA request has been cancelled per my instructions, while of course I did no such thing).

I'm a multiple time repeat guest here and I had been hoping to get an "above and beyond" upgrade to a higher level suite. Four different suite categories were showing as available, namely a nicer junior suite, a genuine one bedroom suite (that I've had in the past and IMO should be their standard suite as the junior suites are just slightly larger rooms with a bit more of a sitting area, a much smaller closet, and both bathtub and separate shower, but mine has much worse furniture than the regular room did), a royal suite and a presidential suite.

I suspect I won't be coming back. The change from SPG to Starriott here hasn't been good.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
What hotel OOC?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This reminds me that I was asked a couple days ago whether I wanted a welcome amenity or points. I picked the amenity, so basically I'm paying for my welcome gift. This was a case where my Ambassador told me that she contacted the property about getting a really nice upgrade, but when I checked in the front desk employee asked me to prove that I had Ambassador status.

SNAs didn't clear and I was given a regular room on a high floor, then moved today to a (standard) junior suite on a higher floor with a nice view. I had been watching availability and didn't expect the SNAs to clear (although it probably didn't help that I had to reapply them after receiving a strange middle of the night email saying that my SNA request has been cancelled per my instructions, while of course I did no such thing).

I'm a multiple time repeat guest here and I had been hoping to get an "above and beyond" upgrade to a higher level suite. Four different suite categories were showing as available, namely a nicer junior suite, a genuine one bedroom suite (that I've had in the past and IMO should be their standard suite as the junior suites are just slightly larger rooms with a bit more of a sitting area, a much smaller closet, and both bathtub and separate shower, but mine has much worse furniture than the regular room did), a royal suite and a presidential suite.

I suspect I won't be coming back. The change from SPG to Starriott here hasn't been good.
I think we should name and shame properties that don't follow the spirit of the program.

That being said, seems to me the decisions and lack of recognition involves the same people now as before 8/18; These are the type of decisions that are made at the property level, not by Starriott. Starriott wants you to be upgraded but the hotel would rather (a) save the additional housekeeping cost or (b) speculate that some one will buy the room.

On the Marriott side, the challenge for properties is that the combined number of plat and plat premiers is much higher than before and they might have difficulty picking out their best guests. I can't decide if there is an increase in the number of plats on the SPG side at properties but until lightspeed is phased out, they can't see their best guests either and just see everyone as a plat.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:58 am

I think we should name and shame properties that don't follow the spirit of the program.

That being said, seems to me the decisions and lack of recognition involves the same people now as before 8/18; These are the type of decisions that are made at the property level, not by Starriott. Starriott wants you to be upgraded but the hotel would rather (a) save the additional housekeeping cost or (b) speculate that some one will buy the room.

On the Marriott side, the challenge for properties is that the combined number of plat and plat premiers is much higher than before and they might have difficulty picking out their best guests. I can't decide if there is an increase in the number of plats on the SPG side at properties but until lightspeed is phased out, they can't see their best guests either and just see everyone as a plat.
However, AFAIK traditional SPG procedure was to note Ambassador status of guests if the Ambassador contacted the property for/about the guest. This seems to be failing IME. Also, we've been told that top priority for upgrades should go to Ambassador guests who are also repeat clients of the property, so I would have expected that to carry weight.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Same people, yes, but clearly a very different corporate ethos. Many have noted legacy SPG treatment falling off a cliff all of a sudden at long-stayed at properties...I doubt it's all of a sudden hotel managers saying "let's downgrade the experience".

On the Marriott side, the challenge for properties is that the combined number of plat and plat premiers is much higher than before and they might have difficulty picking out their best guests.
What data do you have to back this up exactly? This assumes there is an influx of legacy SPG guess and no outflux of legacy Marriott ones.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Currently staying at St Regis Tianjin.
Paperwork show my status as platinum but I got plt premier keysleeve. So status was recognised correctly.
I did book the room through my ambassador and receive St Regis Suite (their base level suite I believe)

Got interesting key sleeve this time. The plt premier sleeve was inserted to yet another sleeve that said : you've been upgraded. Interesting.

Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: LH*G, FB*G, IC *free minibar*, SLH, RC 5C-Club, LHW, and a lot of others
I totally agree with you man!
I am also getting inferior service now and will not continue staying 100+ nights next year. Hyatt, Hilton and GHA here I come!

Duke777 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.