Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:43 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
It sounds like the Marriott select service brands chosen aren’t fulfilling their obligation to provide complimentary bottles of water in their rooms. That’s certainly an issue fo take up with the hotels. But your Ambassador and the Ambassador service have nothing to do with that particular failure; that’s a failure by those hotels.

Hopefully, you complained to those hotels and were subsequently given bottles of water? If you didn’t mention it and have it resolved there, I can assure you there’s even less reason to mention it on FlyerTalk.

I’ve never stayed at a Courtyard without a bottle or two of water being provided. Ever. But I’ve never stayed in a Residence Inn or TownePlace.

As for communication with our Ambassadors and the general Ambassador service, it is now well documented herein and elsewhere that the many IT issues are creating problems with Ambassadors receiving emails and voicemails messages. You probably should call the General Ambassador number rather than waiting to speak to or emailing your own Ambassdor for the time being. But please know that Ambassadors cannnot make hotels execute better when the hotels don’t execute well on their own in the first place.
txpenny likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:02 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by bhrubin
But your Ambassador and the Ambassador service have nothing to do with that particular failure; that’s a failure by those hotels.

I could not have said it any better. There are currently some transition hiccups with the Starwood acquisition, but not getting water should not and cannot be blamed on Ambassadors.

bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:16 pm

I don't blame the ambassador and my comment pertained to Marriott's lack of costumer service and failure to assign an ambassador for two months and respond to complaints. But you all want to make excuses, then do that. My experience with Marriott Platinmum customer care has been a total disappointment that reflects a lack of knowledge about their own benefits that they offer. Marriott is a brand and if you cannot deliver a consistent customer delivery throughout your organization, then that is a failure.

Originally Posted by escape4
I could not have said it any better. There are currently some transition hiccups with the Starwood acquisition, but not getting water should not and cannot be blamed on Ambassadors.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bhrubin
It sounds like the Marriott select service brands chosen aren’t fulfilling their obligation to provide complimentary bottles of water in their rooms. That’s certainly an issue fo take up with the hotels. But your Ambassador and the Ambassador service have nothing to do with that particular failure; that’s a failure by those hotels.

Hopefully, you complained to those hotels and were subsequently given bottles of water? If you didn’t mention it and have it resolved there, I can assure you there’s even less reason to mention it on FlyerTalk.

I’ve never stayed at a Courtyard without a bottle or two of water being provided. Ever. But I’ve never stayed in a Residence Inn or TownePlace.
the poster isn't saying there wasn't water in the rooms. When you check in at a Hilton as a premium member, they give you a brown bag with two bottles of water. There are no Free bottles of water in the room. Of course, many people turn down the bottles of water because of concerns about plastic and the fact that water anywhere in the United States is safe to drink. Giving the bottles at check-in is a Hilton brand standard for Elites.

it is not, however, a Marriott brand standard and Starwood was moving toward eliminating bottled water because of environmental concerns. For the time being, there are bottles of water in the room usually free. Hyatt doesn't give water at the check-in desk either.

not sure I understand the 48-hour issue. I've never had a problem with it but sounds like the poster was trying to extend his stay at a fully booked Hotel and dealing with the front desk rather than reservations. Unless there was a one of the major trade shows going on, the poster could have gone online 48 hours early and made a reservation which would have bypassed any confusion at the front desk. I'm unclear if that's what happened or whether this stay was during a major trade show where he hotels might have received an exception. Unfortunately, front desk staff can be unfamiliar with program benefits while the website is set up to automatically provide 48 hour guarantees unless the hotel has an exception granted by corporate.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:29 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Siweltj
I don't blame the ambassador and my comment pertained to Marriott's lack of costumer service and failure to assign an ambassador for two months and respond to complaints. But you all want to make excuses, then do that. My experience with Marriott Platinmum customer care has been a total disappointment that reflects a lack of knowledge about their own benefits that they offer. Marriott is a brand and if you cannot deliver a consistent customer delivery throughout your organization, then that is a failure.
I can understand the disappointment, but if you think answers here are about making excuses, then in my humble opinion you are mistaken.

We all share information on FT and I am sorry to hear about your experience, and take note of it. My personal opinion is that there are short-term issues that Marriott needs to deal with but I am not willing to toss the entire hotel chain to the curb permanently if those are just be temporary problems for some lower end hotels such as Courtyards. That does not excuse the problems, but deciding now that these are permanent problems when they might not be, is a conclusion that might not serve you well.

I think in the end everybody will make their own individual decision and I am glad to have more information at my disposal than less information. That said, you are free to take advice here or ignore it.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:38 pm

As stated earlier I did contact priemer service by phone and was told it was not a problem and all I had to do was inform the front desk of the need to extend my stay past my original checkout which way 3 days out and told if I had any problem to call them back. Which is what I did. Then told no at the front desk. Called priemer customer service back and that's where the different answers started and continued over three calls and two days. That is when I asked to have the previous calls reviewed because of the different answers I was getting and asked for a return call which never happened. Also filled a complaint on line which was never answered.

Not being assigned an ambassador and not getting water and the lack of customer service are all indications of a major disconnect with Marriott's customer care.

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
the poster isn't saying there wasn't water in the rooms. When you check in at a Hilton as a premium member, they give you a brown bag with two bottles of water. There are no Free bottles of water in the room. Of course, many people turn down the bottles of water because of concerns about plastic and the fact that water anywhere in the United States is safe to drink. Giving the bottles at check-in is a Hilton brand standard for Elites.

it is not, however, a Marriott brand standard and Starwood was moving toward eliminating bottled water because of environmental concerns. For the time being, there are bottles of water in the room usually free. Hyatt doesn't give water at the check-in desk either.

not sure I understand the 48-hour issue. I've never had a problem with it but sounds like the poster was trying to extend his stay at a fully booked Hotel and dealing with the front desk rather than reservations. Unless there was a one of the major trade shows going on, the poster could have gone online 48 hours early and made a reservation which would have bypassed any confusion at the front desk. I'm unclear if that's what happened or whether this stay was during a major trade show where he hotels might have received an exception. Unfortunately, front desk staff can be unfamiliar with program benefits while the website is set up to automatically provide 48 hour guarantees unless the hotel has an exception granted by corporate.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
As stated earlier I did contact priemer service by phone and was told it was not a problem and all I had to do was inform the front desk of the need to extend my stay past my original checkout which way 3 days out and told if I had any problem to call them back. Which is what I did. Then told no at the front desk. Called priemer customer service back and that's where the different answers started and continued over three calls and two days. That is when I asked to have the previous calls reviewed because of the different answers I was getting and asked for a return call which never happened. Also filled a complaint on line which was never answered.

Not being assigned an ambassador and not getting water and the lack of customer service are all indications of a major disconnect with Marriott's customer care.
To be clear, yes, there are many hiccups going on with MPG customer service both in hotels and customer support. So your observations are correct. All too often FTers (and just about any group) will take anecdotal events and use that as a universal truth. That's a problem with crowdsourcing information. But one exception does not a rule make. I often run into CSRs that will back the error made by a property and you have to push to get someone that has more experience or at least willing to look at the problem before spouting an answer. I've had room credit denied and when calling in was told I can't get credit for two hotels on the same night, which I already knew. What the CSR failed to notice, even after being told, was that the hotel posted the stay for the wrong dates. Then told I had to call the hotel to correct the error! One supervisor later and it was taken care of. My point is, don't expect miracle workers on support lines, but it sure is great when you find one.
bhrubin and rny321 like this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

First, a belated welcome to Flyertalk! We're pretty good providing advice on issues when they arise.

Sounds like English isn't your first language so perhaps that has led to confusion.

1. Water -- Marriott properties do not normally give water at check-in. Its very rare. Instead, water is normally in the room. For example, this week, I have been in an AC, a Marriott, a Renaissance, and a Luxury Collection. None have given me water at check-in. All have had bottles of water in the room. In contrast, Hilton gives them at check-in but doesn't have them in the room. There is no need for bottled water in the US. I suspect Hilton will change its approach soon.

2. 48 Hour Guarantee -- I've never had an issue with this and its unclear what happened. Perhaps a major conference in the area? In the future, I'd skip the desk or calling by phone. Just go to the app or website 48 hours out and you'll be able to reserve without a problem. This avoids any confusion although sometimes the prices are high when they are sold out.

I hope you get an ambassador soon. Sounds people are starting to get them assigned.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Points / spend posted yesterday on 11/17/18 to qualify me for Ambassador. App and website show me having the ambassador status, I'll update this post when I get the welcome email.

EDIT: Received invitation email 11/21.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by adunker; Nov 22, 2018 at 7:25 am
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:50 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by adunker
Points / spend posted yesterday on 11/17/18 to qualify me for Ambassador. App and website show me having the ambassador status, I'll update this post when I get the welcome email.
Congratulations and welcome to the party! We hope you’ll have as positive an experience as so many of us have—though we advise you to be patient with Ambassador contact and assignment in this Marriott IT transition fiasco.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Instead of creating another thread can someone help quantify worth? By EOY i’ll be at least at 90 nights and $17k in combined program. I’m over 80 now. Is it worth trying to hit AMB? I’d have to out of pocket at least $2k to hit 100 and $20k. Damn corporate rate screws me finally here. I’m probably 70SPG nights btw. I usually stay 4 or 5 star fwiw and when I don’t I’m alone and can’t imagine what an AMB could do for me at a CY or Aloft.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Out of your own pocket? No way.

IMO the best part of an Ambassador (for most of us) is not having to deal with the faceless, apathetic, non-responsive Marriott CS...with SPG, good CS was a given and for me then Ambassador service was more about the little touches esp. on vacations.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
Instead of creating another thread can someone help quantify worth? By EOY i’ll be at least at 90 nights and $17k in combined program. I’m over 80 now. Is it worth trying to hit AMB? I’d have to out of pocket at least $2k to hit 100 and $20k. Damn corporate rate screws me finally here. I’m probably 70SPG nights btw. I usually stay 4 or 5 star fwiw and when I don’t I’m alone and can’t imagine what an AMB could do for me at a CY or Aloft.
spend extra 2k just for amb is not really worth the money.

Does your business travel stays arranged by yourself or corporate travel agent did that for you?

If you arrange them yourself then having amb does help (but still not worth to spend extra 2k for it)
rny321 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:11 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by ucfjoe
I must concur with everyone else. If you usually stay at select service hotels or even midscale hotels on your own, I wouldn’t recommend spending $2+K just to reach Ambassador status. I don’t think it would be worth it, either. Just enjoy the Plat Premier status you’ve already earned!
C17PSGR and imverge like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, *wood Plat, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
My ambassador is useless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.