Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The Laylow, Autograph Collection in Honolulu is another chronic offender. So that's four.
Duh, how could I forget that one?

We really need a thread with a wiki like this one.

Post How Properties handle the SPG Platinum Breakfast Benefit introduced in 2012

Every time I went to a new property, I checked that thread first and if my property wasn't already listed, I contributed! There's 6 years of data there collected by the FT community. It just seems like such a daunting task with the number of properties that Marriott has. But it would really help to identify the properties that need to be avoided and the ones we should patronize.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I suppose it depends on the property.
I've also had good breakfast experiences at some Autograph Collection properties, including the Siena in Chapel Hill and Boscolo (or whatever they call it now) in Budapest.
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Post How Properties handle the SPG Platinum Breakfast Benefit introduced in 2012

Every time I went to a new property, I checked that thread first and if my property wasn't already listed, I contributed! There's 6 years of data there collected by the FT community. It just seems like such a daunting task with the number of properties that Marriott has. But it would really help to identify the properties that need to be avoided and the ones we should patronize.
I think we should just list the offenders. Hall of Shame. Properties to Avoid.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Duh, how could I forget that one?

Create it? I don't now how.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Create it? I don't now how.
Perhaps we just need to expand the existing thread to include legacy Marriott properties. I realize some of the SPG properties will have to be updated as many are now giving a choice of breakfast or welcome amenity (instead of both), but entries usually have a date beside them, so we will know if the info listed is pre-merger or not.

There is also Sharon's lounge thread which I refer to when I haven't been to a Marriott property, but the focus is more on whether lounge is open/closed on weekends even though breakfast is often mentioned.
damon88 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
You could probably skip most of the LS offerings, which are the bulk of the legacy Marriott properties. Most interesting to the community I would guess are the FS properties and/or resorts. Or even a rogue RC that might actually over deliver.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You could probably skip most of the LS offerings, which are the bulk of the legacy Marriott properties. Most interesting to the community I would guess are the FS properties and/or resorts. Or even a rogue RC that might actually over deliver.
Agreed

I think most of the limited service properties deliver exactly what promised, except to the extent there has been confusion at Courtyards. Additionally, most non-resort Marriott/Renn/JW have lounges and deliver what is promised.

So the question is which "Full Service Properties That Fail to Comply with The Spirit of The Breakfast Benefit."

And ... we know that's Scrub Island, Casa Monica, Beaver Creek Lodge, JW Santa Monica" just for a start ...
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Haven't been able to successfully search for the answer here. Does the guest + 1 benefit also include children?

Any particular experience with the Westin Resort & Spa in Whistler, BC? According to the T&C page, should be 1,000 pts per stay or breakfast for member + 1 guest in restaurant. I may book that with me, wife, 2 kids.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Most of the issues are at resorts, of all brands, and then random Autograph Collection and Luxury Collection properties, regardless of whether they are a resort or not. Of the resorts, you're probably only talking about Hawaii, Mexico, Florida, and the Caribbean as properties in southeast Asia, even those with a resort designation, seem to offer a real breakfast and not toast and coffee. So, in reality, maybe 50–75 resorts?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Haven't been able to successfully search for the answer here. Does the guest + 1 benefit also include children?

Any particular experience with the Westin Resort & Spa in Whistler, BC? According to the T&C page, should be 1,000 pts per stay or breakfast for member + 1 guest in restaurant. I may book that with me, wife, 2 kids.
Not sure about children but I can confirm that the Westin Whistler now offers full (buffet) breakfast for member + 1 guest in the restaurant.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Of course, sometimes its inconsistent ...

For example, I stay at a particular Westin. I've been told by a server that I can order anything cold or basic continental breakfast. On other stays, I've been told I can order anything on the menu. On yet another stay right before a holiday when they were empty, they had a light buffet (fruit, pastries, oatmeal) and I was told that it was the breakfast.

But ... that's very different than a $10 voucher at Beaver, or a muffin at Scrub Island.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I think there have been 3 rogue Autograph Collection properties reported here (I think hockey insider reported two), and I can assure you that based on that info, I will never set foot in that brand!
It's a shame that someone would "never set foot" in an Autograph Collection hotel or resort because a handful of properties fail to provide the Platinum Elite benefits promised by the Terms & Conditions.

Overall, Autograph Collection is a wonderful brand. For example...

Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, in Davenport, Iowa, provides a terrific Platinum Elie breakfast: any entree on the excellent breakfast menu + juice + good coffee, graciously served in the hotel's Bix Bistro restaurant, for member + 1, with tax and tip included.

The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection, in Washington, DC, has an executive lounge that compares favorably with lounges at typical U.S. full-service Marriott and Rennaissance hotels.

Unfortunately, a few properties think that being "fiercely independent" means they can thumb their noses at Marriott's Platinum Elite benefits -- and thus at Platinum Elite members. And Marriott lets them get away with it. Shame on Marriott.

Last edited by Horace; Dec 28, 2018 at 5:53 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:20 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I would love to see a Wiki that explained how each hotel handles breakfast. My interest is a little different- I want to know which hotels will allow me to use my Platinum credit for room service breakfast. Or alternatively- the amazing breakfasts that one shouldn’t miss (Hotel Danieli, Grand Bretagne, Schloss Fuschl etc). More hotels than usual allowed me to credit room service but I’m already getting mixed up on which ones. It would be great to have an organized list.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Agreed - Autograph Collection properties are one of the few things I actually like from the Marriott side

I would be curious what LC properties don't comply, given the years of history with the breakfast benefit w/SPG. I have done 16 to date and all have been good-to-excellent, rarely "continental only".
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Agreed - Autograph Collection properties are one of the few things I actually like from the Marriott side

I would be curious what LC properties don't comply, given the years of history with the breakfast benefit w/SPG. I have done 16 to date and all have been good-to-excellent, rarely "continental only".
The only one I know of is Prince De Galles.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think there have been 3 rogue Autograph Collection properties reported here (I think hockey insider reported two), and I can assure you that based on that info, I will never set foot in that brand!
Then you would miss out on many Autograph properties that are truly wonderful.

The Autograph collection outside North America that we and friends stayed at, are all wonderful in taking care of the plat guests.

My friend just finished a 3 nights stay at Autograph Shanhaitin at Sanya, Hainan Island.
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ph-collection/

The hotel offered full restaurant breakfast for both him, his wife, and their 12 years old daughter. Wonderful breakfast as you can imagine, being at Asian property.

We had wonderful breakfast every morning during our 2 nights at Autograph Budapest before they changed name (new ownership). Wonderful, very elaborate buffet breakfast in a gorgeous setting (the restaurant is a sightseeing spot in Budapest due to the historic decoration.)

In fact Autograph is my preferred brand of Marriott family of properties because so far all our experiences have been excellent, granted, they are all international properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.