Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2021, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by margarita girl

This was the Tit breakfast being offered by the Sheraton Waikiki in Sept when they removed the buffet breakfast. Pastry, yogurt and fruit plus coffee/tea/juice (plus one day, they had no yogurt)! I understand that what they were offering before they had to close the buffet was pared back but included some hot options.

How would you describe this breakfast?
Re-sold, partially recycled airline economy class breakfast?

After they make the food so bad and cheap that most people no longer want it, they can cut the benefit and claim “it wasn’t very popular and cutting this was a way to reduce waste”. Straight out of the airline playbook.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 19, 2021 at 4:39 pm
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, AC Elite, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Guest Compensation for Titanium Breakfast Benefit at Renaissence as Gaurenteed Lounge

As a titanium level member, I recently stayed at a Renaissance Hotel in Canada. Although the hotel website stated the restaurant was open on the weekends for breakfast, upon arrival I found it to be closed On Sat & Sunday for breakfast.

Program T & C's State

Lounge Offer: for
Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels (Resorts excluded)United States and Canada: If Lounge is closed or property does not have a Lounge or approved alternative, property to offer daily continental breakfast in restaurant for Member +1 or Member can choose 750 Points per night of Stay
I was not given a choice. , but it assumes the restaurant is open.
Guest Compensation*
Globally: U.S. $100 If no continental breakfast or continental breakfast alternative was offered to Member
What is the correct compensation?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Were you offered 750 points per night?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, AC Elite, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
I was given 750 points per night, but it was not my choice.

I did not ""Member can choose 750 Points per night of Stay".
Old Dec 16, 2021, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by canuk
I was given 750 points per night, but it was not my choice.

I did not ""Member can choose 750 Points per night of Stay".
Under Marriott's interpretation, that means the property gets to choose.

I know, it's utter nonsense.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by canuk
As a titanium level member, I recently stayed at a Renaissance Hotel in Canada. Although the hotel website stated the restaurant was open on the weekends for breakfast, upon arrival I found it to be closed On Sat & Sunday for breakfast.

Program T & C's State

Lounge Offer: for
Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels (Resorts excluded)United States and Canada: If Lounge is closed or property does not have a Lounge or approved alternative, property to offer daily continental breakfast in restaurant for Member +1 or Member can choose 750 Points per night of Stay
I was not given a choice. , but it assumes the restaurant is open.
Guest Compensation*
Globally: U.S. $100 If no continental breakfast or continental breakfast alternative was offered to Member
What is the correct compensation?
I'm a little confused -- was the lounge closed, or the restaurant closed?

Formally: If the lounge was closed, and the restaurant was open, you should have been given continental breakfast as the default. You could have been offered and elected the 750 points instead, which should have solely been your choice.

The problem is that nobody ever really receives the compensation Marriott's rules call for. In my experience, in this case, you would have been expected to point out that you wanted breakfast, and the front desk person would have provided it. Had you done that, and they refused to provide it, then you might have a case had you called Marriott on it that same day. Since you're no longer at the hotel, they will claim you accepted the points, even though you had no choice.in the matter.

If the restaurant was closed, then that's a different story as they didn't have an option to provide the breakfast. Some hotels I have stayed at have been in this situation in COVID, and they gave the points only option as they had no other alternatives.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I am continuing to research this for my friend going to the Sheraton Waikiki. I found this in the T&Cs:

In the United States and Canada: When a Participating Property's Lounge is closed, or property does not have a Lounge or approved alternative, the property will offer a daily continental breakfast in the restaurant for the Member plus one (1) guest, or Member can choose 750 Points per night of Stay.

Unless I am misunderstanding, I think my friend may be relegated to crappy continental breakfast since the lounge is closed.

Can someone help me make an argument for otherwise?
It's been several years since the Starwood acquisition, and it's high time Marriott better aligned the policies. It's really ridiculous now that it's all under the Marriott banner now, yet legacy Marriott brands exclude lounge access for resorts -- but legacy Starwood properties have to provide it. However, legacy Marriott have to provide an alternative breakfast option when legacy Starwood don't.

I'll admit, I stay at a variety of brands and I can't (so I don't try) to keep these rules straight. Some Sheratons/Westins have lounges, and some don't --> the ones that don't I just ASK for breakfast if I want it. The one's that do have generally just given me a breakfast coupon, and I've never really worried about the welcome points (since they're not worth very much) but in many cases I know (and have been told) I'd get both. I guess if the rules are so complicated, Marriott should have to tell us what we are entitled to at each property -- so it's clear:
  • Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador Elite Members will be provided lounge access for breakfast on each morning of their stay. In the event that the lounge is not open for breakfast on one or more mornings during a stay, these guests will be provided with a an alternative breakfast option in the hotel restaurant.
  • Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador Elite Members will be provided lounge access for breakfast for each morning of their stay. In the event that the lounge is not open for breakfast on one or more mornings during a stay, these guests may elect breakfast in the hotel restaurant as their Welcome Gift option
  • Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador Elite Members are not provided with lounge access at this property.

Yeah, I know the above is wishful thinking, but seriously, they really have made things so overly complicated and confusing, I do have colleagues who avoid staying at Marriott branded because of all of the inconsistencies.
joakgarp likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Staying at a Courtyard in Florida for multiple nights as Titanium/LT Plat. Requested $10 F&B voucher. When I used it the first morning she collected the voucher and said it was good for one time only, but seemed quite confused as she also said she had never seen this before.

I went to front desk today to try to get new voucher but was told that breakfast is not included in my stay. After a bit of arguing regarding my status she agreed that platinum members and above do get a $10 voucher, but since I paid with points, I was ineligible. After further argument she eventually agreed that this would apply to paid and rewards stays, but because it was a rewards stay it was only good for one day.

Before I try to argue this some more, I want to make sure I'm actually correct. Marriott's website confirms I am, in fact, correct. The front desk person was pretty rude and there was no one else that was available to help so I'm not sure how to proceed from here. She has been the only person I have seen at the front desk any time I have been in the lobby for the 2 days I have been here so I'm not really sure how to correct this situation. $10 isn't a huge amount of money, but it starts to add up after several days and it's also the principle that really irritates me.

Courtyard has a $50 guarantee that they will offer the amenity, but I really don't want to argue this with the front desk as I can't imagine she's familiar with this policy. Plus technically they did offer me the amenity, it just wasn't done correctly or completely.

Last edited by catbox9; Jan 2, 2022 at 7:04 am
Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Being Platinum and above and having breakfast within the Bonvoy program is a mess. I am as well struggling to know which brands can offer me full breakfast in restaurant and who don't. Some properties who only offer breakfast in lounge can also offer full breakfast in their restaurant.

I'd be happy to skip the welcome points and have full breakfast in the original restaurant if there was a choice. Usually the lounge breakfast is for guests staying for work.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Being Platinum and above and having breakfast within the Bonvoy program is a mess. I am as well struggling to know which brands can offer me full breakfast in restaurant and who don't. Some properties who only offer breakfast in lounge can also offer full breakfast in their restaurant.

I'd be happy to skip the welcome points and have full breakfast in the original restaurant if there was a choice. Usually the lounge breakfast is for guests staying for work.
Lounge? Serious question, but is there any lounge that is open? I had 100 nights with Marriott last year and utilized the lounge benefit exactly 0 times as not a single property I stayed in had an open lounge. Granted, most of my stays are in the US so I can't speak for international lounges.

I had 50-75 nights post-pandemic in 2020 and also managed to have access to a grand total of 0 lounges. I haven't been in a hotel lounge since March, 2020 despite probably 150 nights at a property that was supposed to have one.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by catbox9
Lounge? Serious question, but is there any lounge that is open? I had 100 nights with Marriott last year and utilized the lounge benefit exactly 0 times as not a single property I stayed in had an open lounge. Granted, most of my stays are in the US so I can't speak for international lounges.

I had 50-75 nights post-pandemic in 2020 and also managed to have access to a grand total of 0 lounges. I haven't been in a hotel lounge since March, 2020 despite probably 150 nights at a property that was supposed to have one.
My understanding is that there actually are a limited number of US properties that have reopened lounges. My only experience was at the LAX Marriott where the lounge was open for breakfast. That is out of about 6 or 7 stays at hotels that have lounges.

I should also point out that there was no 2020 post-pandemic period. According to WHO, their March 2020 declaration of a pandemic is still effective.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ExArkie
My understanding is that there actually are a limited number of US properties that have reopened lounges.
The Charleston Marriott is one of them, open (fortunately) only during the work week.

It was minimal, at best. And on Saturday morning with the lounge closed the alternative was the hot buffet in the restaurant.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
The lounge at the Marriott in anchorage was open back in July, and still open in October. The renaissance Waverly in Atlanta was also open in September last year (on a weekend day no less).
Old Jan 2, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by catbox9
Courtyard has a $50 guarantee that they will offer the amenity, but I really don't want to argue this with the front desk as I can't imagine she's familiar with this policy. Plus technically they did offer me the amenity, it just wasn't done correctly or completely.
There is no need to argue. Just tell the FD that you are invoking the bonvOY guarantee and request $50 cash payment. This is in addition to receiving $10 per day meal credit. If you charge meals to your room bill, you will able to do a credit card chargeback later if necessary.
SPN Lifer and joakgarp like this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Tanic
There is no need to argue. Just tell the FD that you are invoking the bonvOY guarantee and request $50 cash payment. This is in addition to receiving $10 per day meal credit. If you charge meals to your room bill, you will able to do a credit card chargeback later if necessary.
I agree. Eventually getting full or partial Elite benefits later in a stay is not the same as having a proper, pleasant check-in that includes being offered the published Welcome Gift options for the brand.

Anyone who is denied the published Welcome Gift options at check-in is officially entitled to compensation. If it's simply a case of a front desk agent needing to reminded by the Platinum Elite (or higher) member at the completion of check-in, and the front desk agent then immediately offering the correct Welcome Gift options, I would not ask for compensation.

But if the front desk agent refuses or misrepresents the Welcome Gift -- such as insisting the Courtyard/Moxy/AC Hotels daily $!0 F&B credit is only for one night of a multi-night stay or only for the member but not also for a second guest in the room -- then it's absolutely proper to ask for compensation. The GM of the hotel has either failed to train the front desk staff properly, or the GM is intentionally trying to weasel out of offering Elite benefits to save the cost. In either case, the GM deserves to have his or her P&L hit with the compensation cost, and the guest deserves the compensation.

For the marketing version of the Marriott Bonvoy benefits and guarantees, see Elite Benefit Guarantees. Look under "Guaranteed Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite and Above." Or, for all the gory details and exclusions, see the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions.

Just one friendly bit of advice: Elite guests should be sure to understand the Elite benefits for each brand at which they stay (including geography and hotel/resort distinctions). Here on this forum and also on Facebook, I've seen many cases of Elite members who don't know the program, such as which brands offer guaranteed lounge access, which offer daily restaurant breakfast as a Welcome Gift, or what happens when a member books more than one room.

For a quick reference, see the Wiki at the top of this thread.

Last edited by Horace; Jan 2, 2022 at 12:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.