Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lamphs
12/6/21 - e-mail address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2023, 7:50 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
This might be a hard question for anyone to answer except based on your gut from dealing with hotel staff if you have stayed here. We have a two night stay coming up. I'm Titanium, my wife is Silver. I booked the first night myself using a certificate. The second night, I have both a AAA booking I made for $265 and she made a cert booking (35k cert plus14k top-off). I emailed the hotel and they did agree to give me the 4pm checkout even if we used her cert for the second night (which was important with a night flight) - but then they sort of encouraged me to book both nights under my account for "the best service" - but when I asked if they tend to upgrade Titaniums, they responded that if I booked both nights as Titanium, they would give us free laundry and a free ride to the airport (which seems to actually be part of the amenity fee anyway??).

We have a hard time using her certs as it is, so unless I think it will be the difference between a suite and a regular room (it's our once a year no kid trip), we may as well use her certificate. I don't know if they would refuse the breakfast the 2nd night but I also can't imagine it would be very much anyway.

So I guess it really comes down to how good they are with upgrades.

Again, I know this is a ramble because we are being very indecisive here. But I'd hate to spend the $265 for no better treatment and possibly have her cert expire.

If anyone can push me one way or another, I'd appreciate it
Old Oct 1, 2023, 9:56 pm

Programs: AC 50K | WS Gold | Bonvoy Titanium | Hilton Gold | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MilesTalk
This might be a hard question for anyone to answer except based on your gut from dealing with hotel staff if you have stayed here. We have a two night stay coming up. I'm Titanium, my wife is Silver. I booked the first night myself using a certificate. The second night, I have both a AAA booking I made for $265 and she made a cert booking (35k cert plus14k top-off). I emailed the hotel and they did agree to give me the 4pm checkout even if we used her cert for the second night (which was important with a night flight) - but then they sort of encouraged me to book both nights under my account for "the best service" - but when I asked if they tend to upgrade Titaniums, they responded that if I booked both nights as Titanium, they would give us free laundry and a free ride to the airport (which seems to actually be part of the amenity fee anyway??).

We have a hard time using her certs as it is, so unless I think it will be the difference between a suite and a regular room (it's our once a year no kid trip), we may as well use her certificate. I don't know if they would refuse the breakfast the 2nd night but I also can't imagine it would be very much anyway.

So I guess it really comes down to how good they are with upgrades.

Again, I know this is a ramble because we are being very indecisive here. But I'd hate to spend the $265 for no better treatment and possibly have her cert expire.

If anyone can push me one way or another, I'd appreciate it
Gut feeling is that they will give it to you anyway if you push hard enough, but if the late checkout + airport transfer are important, do you want to book the second night with your (titanium) cert and the first night with your wife’s (silver) cert instead?

if they deny it, you can just say you’d like to check out and check in again on the second day.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 9:27 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by thereisnoaddress
Gut feeling is that they will give it to you anyway if you push hard enough, but if the late checkout + airport transfer are important, do you want to book the second night with your (titanium) cert and the first night with your wife’s (silver) cert instead?

if they deny it, you can just say you’d like to check out and check in again on the second day.
Thanks for the reply. They already put in writing we'll get the 4pm checkout even using her cert for the 2nd night so the only real issue is the upgrade.

And I suppose you are right, if I'm checking in as a Titanium member and I'm in the room both nights, I could probably push for an upgrade if I see one available online - and if they don't even wind up with any suites (as I believe there are just 7) then it's pretty moot. Thanks
Old Dec 12, 2023, 10:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by thereisnoaddress
The daily $25 USD destination fee included these things:

- Don't forget to book the free shuttle to the airport from the hotel for when you leave! They came right on time.
I was thinking this is the standard destination fee & benefits, but that's $37 before tax. Is this truly an "elite destination fee" that is only $25? There are some differences between the above listed benefits and those listed on Marriott.com reservation page. Airport transportation is only mentioned above (is it free TO the airport but not FROM the airport?), while only Marriott.com mentions daily breakfast for 2 (the most important benefit to me, since we may not have status). If anyone can clarify, that would be helpful.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:03 am

Hello,

First time in Cusco. Comparing between JW Marriot and Palacio del Inka. I keep hearing the rooms in PDI are smaller and no AC, is it really that bad (for those who have stayed in both)? Only Gold here do y'all think I can get a room upgrade for either hotels? Thank you!
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by soopermark
Hello,

First time in Cusco. Comparing between JW Marriot and Palacio del Inka. I keep hearing the rooms in PDI are smaller and no AC, is it really that bad (for those who have stayed in both)? Only Gold here do y'all think I can get a room upgrade for either hotels? Thank you!
We booked 5 award nights in the PDI. Mistake. Only stayed one night and moved the next day to the JW Marriott and simply abandoned our other 4 days. Room was old, small and very stuffy. Not good when you're trying to acclimatize. We were in the older section but newer section apparently had AC. Can't recommend.

JW is a bit more central and a much nicer/updated property. Doubt you'd get an upgrade as a lowly gold.
soopermark likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.