Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lamphs
12/6/21 - e-mail address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
yes, the oxy problem at that height will be taken care of inside the prop, but will they also provide coca leaves to chew on when you go outside? (this was a std practice of hotels during my last visit - and yes, fully legal)

Originally Posted by travelexpert
CUSCO, PERU Marriott International plans to open a luxury JW Marriott Hotel in Cusco next year. Situated at the gateway to Machu Picchu, the 153-key JW Marriott Hotel Cusco will feature a highly customized design built around a colonial church and ancient Inca artifacts found on the site.

“JW Marriott Cusco will feature elaxed décor with a distinctly colonial feel. At an elevation of 11,200 ft. above sea level, the JW Cusco will be the first Marriott property to have an in-room supplemental oxygen system to relieve altitude sickness.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I have a reservation here early Nov, I'm wondering if I should find somewhere else, it may be a bit rough around the edges still. Anyone going before me?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, Marriott
I will be Cuzco this chrismas. Hopefully it is a nice hotel.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:36 pm

Cuzco is a great city. Esp around November, they have many local customs. The best we liked was the trek to MP. If you are into hiking, its a must rather than taking the train to get there. its a 4 day trek and exceptional! They do carry oxygen cylinders and loads of coca leaves for those who need it. It most definately works!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:24 pm

I guess they quote 28% tax but if you are a tourist staying less than 60 days and have the correct documentation (pasport & TAM card) you only get charged 10% tax. At least that's how I interpret it.

- Rate subject to 28pct applicable taxes
18PCT Sales tax exemption for non residents. Must have stayed
no longer than 60 days in Peru based on a calendar year to
qualify. Applicable to room rate. Passport verification at
check in.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vinvi
Cuzco is a great city. Esp around November, they have many local customs. The best we liked was the trek to MP. If you are into hiking, its a must rather than taking the train to get there. its a 4 day trek and exceptional! They do carry oxygen cylinders and loads of coca leaves for those who need it. It most definately works!

We will stay there for two days. The first day we arrive early. Some people talked about altitude effect. I do not know whether my wife and I have problem with that. We have two options:

One: early check in, have a tour around cuzco and second day take train to MP and return.

Two: directly board the train to MP and come back on the same day. And second day have a tour around cuzco.

Any suggestion? Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:29 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
I'd go to MP on the 2nd day.

I was with a group of 8 friends. 3 of us had major troubles with the oxygen. The remaining 5 had no issues. Everyone was fine by the 3rd day.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dartagnan
I'd go to MP on the 2nd day.

I was with a group of 8 friends. 3 of us had major troubles with the oxygen. The remaining 5 had no issues. Everyone was fine by the 3rd day.

ok, thank you very much.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:09 am

We had no issues in Cusco. However, third day, which was day 2 trek to Mp, is just climb...thats when both of us needed oxygen for 3 minutes and then we were fine. They just give you a whiff of oxygen for however long you want. Its not tiring. We even played soccer against the locals in Lake Titicaca...its an experience. They have floating houses! do consider that as well if you have time. Have an awesome trip and let me know if you need help with anything else.

Originally Posted by kunk00
We will stay there for two days. The first day we arrive early. Some people talked about altitude effect. I do not know whether my wife and I have problem with that. We have two options:

One: early check in, have a tour around cuzco and second day take train to MP and return.

Two: directly board the train to MP and come back on the same day. And second day have a tour around cuzco.

Any suggestion? Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by kunk00

Any suggestion? Thanks!
MP is lower than Cuzco, about 2300m IIRC, which normally would not cause problems, and probably allow you to acclimatize for the next day in Cuzco. So in my opinion it's better to go straight to MP (assuming you take some transport and not walk around Cuzco the first day).
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
or coca tea..........

Originally Posted by vinvi
They just give you a whiff of oxygen for however long you want.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 7:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by neuromancer
MP is lower than Cuzco, about 2300m IIRC, which normally would not cause problems, and probably allow you to acclimatize for the next day in Cuzco. So in my opinion it's better to go straight to MP (assuming you take some transport and not walk around Cuzco the first day).
Thanks, our flight get to cuzco at 7:20 am and the train is 8:30 am. Do we have enough time to travel between airport to train station? Or we wait for second day. Thanks!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 8:10 am

So I stayed before and after my Trek, I would say the Tripadvisor reviews in general are about right.

They gave me a crappy room on my first stay and a suite on my second stay. Rooms 22X are directly above the bar and entrance courtyard, probably the worst rooms in the hotel. I should have asked for another room, but was too exhausted to deal with it. Not what you expect as a Platinum member.

I was offered free breakfast as a Platinum, the buffet selection was extensive.

The entrance/check in area looks like it was an old church, with huge doors which stay open. It gets cold when its cold outside, I noticed the concierge ladies wearing sweaters under their uniforms.

The Coca tea definitely helps with the altitude...

Last edited by escapefromphl; Nov 22, 2012 at 8:16 am
Old Nov 22, 2012, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
So I stayed before and after my Trek, I would say the Tripadvisor reviews in general are about right.

They gave me a crappy room on my first stay and a suite on my second stay. Rooms 22X are all directly above the bar and entrance courtyard, probably the worst rooms in the hotel. I should have asked for another room, but was too exhausted to deal with it. Not what you expect as a Platinum member.

I was offered free breakfast as a Platinum, the buffet selection was extensive.

The entrance/check in area looks like it was an old church, with huge doors which stay open. It gets cold when its cold outside, I noticed the concierge ladies wearing sweaters under their uniforms.

The Coca tea definitely helps with the altitude...
Which JW are you referring to - the Cusco? Does it have an exec lounge? Website doesn't indicate one. Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Which JW are you referring to - the Cusco?
Yes

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Does it have an exec lounge? Website doesn't indicate one. Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky.
No.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.