Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hong Kong [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Lounge is on the fifth floor.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hong Kong [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Kacee
The rooms are the same, except the executive rooms are on floors 31-35, hence my question why you would pay extra for them.
Wow! I had no idea. I figured the rooms would vary a lot. (For example, at the Conrad, the regular rooms are dreadful but the nicer rooms are decent.) I hope I can back out the Exec upgrade and keep the points award.

btw, there are a few relevant threads you might want to take a look at:

Advice kindly sought re Gold benefits at JW Marriott Hong Kong
Thanks for the link! That thread appears to have been substantially moderated not long ago, with the other threads merged into it. Makes for a much easier time of it ^, so thank you, moderator.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
Trying to decide between redeeming points for 1 night at the JW Marriott or the Hyatt Regency Tsim Sha Tsui. We'll land only at around 8:30 at night so won't get to the hotel until 10:30 I'm guessing. Will be looking to sleep off that jet lag.

As a Marriott Gold, can get breakfast in the JW Marriott Exec lounge. Have Discoverist status with Hyatt so no breakfast there. Not expecting upgrades at either place.

I'm thinking I can just get breakfast outside whenever I wake up. Apart from that, no real difference between the two properties right?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by viperbrown
I'm thinking I can just get breakfast outside whenever I wake up. Apart from that, no real difference between the two properties right?
The JW is a higher tier property, and the locations are totally different. TST is a much livelier area; you can walk out the door at the HR and be surrounded by activity (some of it a bit seedy). It's also relatively close to the Kowloon waterfront and Star Ferry, which are must sees if you've never been to Hong Kong. The JW is in a luxury shopping mall, but it's very transit convenient and not too far from nightlife and other attractions. The rooms at HR are nice enough but really small.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
The JW is a higher tier property, and the locations are totally different. TST is a much livelier area; you can walk out the door at the HR and be surrounded by activity (some of it a bit seedy). It's also relatively close to the Kowloon waterfront and Star Ferry, which are must sees if you've never been to Hong Kong. The JW is in a luxury shopping mall, but it's very transit convenient and not too far from nightlife and other attractions. The rooms at HR are nice enough but really small.
Thank so much for this feedback. Will be the first time in HK. Think I'm gonna save the SPG points and redeem some Hyatt points instead.

HR rooms may be small but even JW Exec rooms (we'd get that as Marriott Golds, if we were upgraded) are rather outdated. Fair trade.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Hyatt Regency much livlier outdoor areas. Good for walking in neighborhood and seeing a bustling Kowloon part of HK which is a bit dodgier in parts. JW Marriott is across the water... and it is a great spot for business and jumping off point to tour malls and ritzier. You really can't go wrong with either spot
viperbrown likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
What rooms do Platinums normally get upgraded to?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Sorry to bring up old threads but I'm going to Hong Kong for two days and I have a bunch of points I want to burn on a nice property, and I cannot decide. Right now I have a reservation at the Renaissance, but am considering canceling.

I am an SPG/Marriott Gold and I'm looking for a property that I will get a good free breakfast at, and will also be allowed access to a really good lounge. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Sorry to bring up old threads but I'm going to Hong Kong for two days and I have a bunch of points I want to burn on a nice property, and I cannot decide. Right now I have a reservation at the Renaissance, but am considering canceling.

I am an SPG/Marriott Gold and I'm looking for a property that I will get a good free breakfast at, and will also be allowed access to a really good lounge. Any suggestions?
The JW Marriott will give you lounge access, and the lounge breakfast there is good. The afternoon tea and evening snacks are good as well. The lounge is small and gets quite crowded, so go early.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by anabolism
The JW Marriott will give you lounge access, and the lounge breakfast there is good. The afternoon tea and evening snacks are good as well. The lounge is small and gets quite crowded, so go early.
However, if the lounge is too crowded during breakfast (no tables), they'll send you down to the restaurant buffet, free of charge. I've had this happen twice on Sundays around 9am.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:33 am
Suspended

The JW Marriott HKG is about $200 more than my current Renaissance booking. Can I really justify the change? Both have nice clubs and free food and a breakfast.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
The JW Marriott HKG is about $200 more than my current Renaissance booking. Can I really justify the change? Both have nice clubs and free food and a breakfast.
That's quite the difference. For random dates in March for a 1-night stay, the category-8 Renaissance Harbour View is US$315 per night while the category-9 J.W. Marriott is US$364. I see the J.W. has a special promotional package for "executive mountain view" rooms that include 3,000 bonus points and approximately US$70 in hotel credit for about US$461.

For comparison, the Ritz-Carlton is US$576. It's also amazing how much cheaper the hotels are in Shenzhen; the category-3 J.W. Marriott is under US$150.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
I have stayed at both hotels. The staff and service are at par. I would suggest keeping the Renaissance booking and eating breakfast at the restaurant over the (small and crowded) lounge. The restaurant has 10x more options in terms of food. As a Gold/Platinum they give me both options. You can always use the lounge for afternoon snacks, etc.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
That's quite the difference. For random dates in March for a 1-night stay, the category-8 Renaissance Harbour View is US$315 per night while the category-9 J.W. Marriott is US$364. I see the J.W. has a special promotional package for "executive mountain view" rooms that include 3,000 bonus points and approximately US$70 in hotel credit for about US$461.

For comparison, the Ritz-Carlton is US$576. It's also amazing how much cheaper the hotels are in Shenzhen; the category-3 J.W. Marriott is under US$150.
I agree that's quite a difference. I believe the JW is slighting better and worth the $50. Not worth the $200 though.

As for Shenzhen, that requires a visa. Not all of us qualify.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sharmaintl
I have stayed at both hotels. The staff and service are at par. I would suggest keeping the Renaissance booking and eating breakfast at the restaurant over the (small and crowded) lounge. The restaurant has 10x more options in terms of food. As a Gold/Platinum they give me both options. You can always use the lounge for afternoon snacks, etc.
I have heard getting upgraded to the club level at the Renaissance is next to impossible even for Diamonds.

Re: Schenzen, I always laugh at how overpriced Hong Kong is compared to that city especially when you compare the high end hotels that go for $300-500 a night in HK. Just over the border they are usually $150 for the same brand!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I have heard getting upgraded to the club level at the Renaissance is next to impossible even for Diamonds.
Wrong program.

MR Gold and Plat get lounge access. Period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.