Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

No Rollover Nights in 2018 and other changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Rollover Nights in 2018 and other changes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl

One more thing not in the FAQs... MR is notorious for bumping members to the next level at the end of the year, especially those who are close or renewing. If someone's plan is to stop at 74 nights, get Gold and have 24 rollover nights, you may find you are given Plat and have no rollover.
I wasn't aware of this. I'm going to hit either 75 or 76 nights this year, but knowing I was going to be close, I bumped up my credit card spend on the Chase Marriott rather than using other cards (it's 1 night per $3000 spent). Not that it matters much which card I use, and I'm sure there's no guarantee anyway, but I may have thought about that a little differently. I suppose after this year it really won't matter much now anyway since 74 nights would just mean 24 wasted stays that could have achieved status at Hilton or wherever.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt discoverest, United silver
I also reached out on Twitter and got the following via dm:

[QUOTE][@MarriottRewards: Hello, you will be able to buy back for 2018 but not a buy back for 2019. The Elite Rollover Nights will continue till 2019.
/QUOTE]
sydneyboi likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I'll have 190+ rollover nights at the end of the year that will push me over the 750 LT requirement come 1.1.18. Timing is everything.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:45 pm

My wife did 48 or 49 nights without getting bumped to gold, had 38-39 rollover as it was all fresh. Got Marriott visa this year and went for platinum. And just in time too, apparently
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Leisure traveller Lifetime Plat earnt the hard way

Thank goodness for that. I have earnt Plat and Lifetime Plat properly despite never staying on business and paying out of a meagre salary for leisure stays. I made Gold with over 50 nights in 2006. No bonus nights then. 2007 made Plat and have made 75 nights without redemption or rollover or double nights every year except 2014 when I did 70 but was already Lifetime Plat. I would be at that status under the old rules by now as am on 1120 nights. I have stayed at hotels where I have heard people quote “my husband is a gold” in an entitled way as if to say “the lounge is mine and my teenagers domain above all others” Lets face it Gold for this year was achievable with a UK credit card last year to make silver followed by 15 nights on the double nights promo then rollover. BTW all my nights gained in FS Uk hotels, which aint cheap.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by naumank
Bad changes overall. Nobody cares about Hertz. I have Hertz President's Circle through United but I usually prefer compact cars while traveling on business so the status essentially useless.
I would think that puts you into the minority, no? I would rather walk than drive a compact, and I really enjoy Hertz Prez at locations with the Choice thing where you procede to the lot associated with your status and drive off whatever you'd like. I've been driving really nice crossovers in Miami, mostly recently an Infinity with 6 miles driving out of the MIA lot. Nice leather, nice technology onboard, pretty to look at, lots of pep under the hood.

But I agree that it'll be diluted if Hertz continues down the path of giving it away in this fashion - I earned Prez through thousands of dollars in annual revenue, and I will not be happy to compete with others who didn't.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I earned Prez through thousands of dollars in annual revenue, and I will not be happy to compete with others who didn't.
I called Hertz and asked. Years ago I was Pres Circle. My company switched to National about six years ago. When I left last year I called Hertz and they gave me PC again just for asking.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I called Hertz and asked. Years ago I was Pres Circle. My company switched to National about six years ago. When I left last year I called Hertz and they gave me PC again just for asking.
That's hysterical!! But at least you have a track record with Hertz - giving top-tier status away through brand affiliations seems silly given that it's an actual benefit (in my view) if one rents in Choice (or whatever they're calling it) markets such as Miami. Elsewhere it's just a once-class "guaranteed" upgrade that you're likely to have to fight for ("participating locations only," etc).

Oh well, I'm sure their bean counters have done the math and will continue to evaluate the bottom line...
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by djohannw
Due to a change in my job my travel is down to about 120 nights (from over 200 previously),
Greetings - Dirk
Your family might like seeing you a tad more, so it's not all bad

Cheers.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Obviously they are trying to synchronize the 2 programs even more. I personally think they did not go far enough. They should do for 2018:

1 - a more equal match: SPG Plat should be Marriott Gold instead of Plat, Marriott Plat should be SPG Plat 75 (or use the combined SPG+MR total to set 2018 status)
2 - elite-qualifying stays/nights applied to both programs (but earn point in one) (or use the combined totals to set elite status during 2018)

My biggest fear is the combined program will do dynamic awards like Hilton and Travel Packages going away. You know they are thinking about it....
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
For those lamenting the loss of roll-over nights (and I sympathize, although at LT Plat it was never an issue for me). Does any other hotel program offer roll-over nights? I think the answer is no. So, while Marriott offered it for a few years & I think (from what I've read) they count towards liftetime, to me it's more a be grateful they offered it at all & for as long as they did & yeah it sucks, but all good things must come to an end.

Cheers.
I'm already ready for my PLT status at 25 stays with SPG (including reward stays) to go away. For that reason, SPG has always been the best program for status, IMO.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by username
My biggest fear is ... Travel Packages going away.
Not to throw gas on your fire, but MR has done it before. There used to be Florida Hopper and Europe Hopper awards where you could get five or seven night stays, with discounted points, and stay in two or three different hotels. Those were awesome. And then there were Weekend BoGo coupons where if you stayed Friday or Saturday you could get the next night free if you were Plat just by printing a certificate from the site. Those were taken away very quickly with a promise they would return, but after about a year Marriott told everyone that was a lie and there would be no replacement. At the time, there was a Marriott rep who frequently posted on FT. She was furious because they told her, and she told us, there would be a replacement. She posted about her disappointment with MR on this and we pretty much have been ignored by Marriott since.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VisaW
I just don't understand the business rationale for eliminating rollover nights. It upsets me, and not just because I'll be affected.

Rollover nights only benefit folks who stay in excess of 75 nights per year. I hit 75 nights in June. The only reason I've continued to stay at Marriott properties (I'm at 130 nights now), is because I know I'm building status for 2019 and beyond. If there was no added benefit beyond 75 nights, I'd move 100% of my stays to Hilton or Kimpton and build status with them.

...Which is what I plan on doing next year, come April or so when I hit 75 again.
Think again. It already only costs $75/$95 a year to have Hilton mid-tier status through a credit card (Amex Surpass to be replaced by Ascend). Come January 18, it'll cost $450 to -$50 ("net negative annual fee" after subtracting the value of the benefits from the actual annual fee) or so to have Hilton top-tier (Diamond) status through a credit card (Amex Aspire). Who (based in the USA) needs to actually stay at Hilton to build status with them???

Meanwhile, in case you haven't heard, Kimpton is being swallowed up by IHG, and by next spring it won't a separate program any more. Hopefully you have of lot use for 10 am check-ins, because that's one of the very few IHG benefits not availlable through the Chase IHG credit card (which gives mid-tier = Platinum status at IHG, with an uncapped free night cert in exchange for a paltry $49 AF, both after the first year).

See Marriott and SPG are the only "big footprint" (in the USA) "major" programs left which don't give away mid-tier to top-tier status through a credit card.

If you want a program that doesn't give away much status through a credit card, you have to use a "small footprint" program like Hyatt or Club Carlson, or a budget program like Choice, Best Western, or WyndhamRewards (but at the budget programs elite status doesn't give much in way of conventional elite benefits).

So maybe you just should focus on which program you want to earn the most points in, rather than which program to "chsse status" in?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:37 pm

Ritz gives Marriott gold and Amex Plat gives SPG gold, so technically the it is gifted, just a higher annual fee
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PayItForward
Getting SPG Plat 25/50/75/100 also gets you MR Plat. So maybe forcus on SPG in 2018?
Sure, but then I am bound to some restrictions when choosing my hotel - in the city I am going the most there are four Marriott- and SPG-properties each, yet in general the rates are substantially cheaper on the Marriott side (about 30% on average) and then the Marriott properties are a lot nicer and more interesting than the SPG ones, especially the Autograph Collection property. This means about 35-45 nights for Marriott out of this alone...so P100 would be out of question, and even P75 would be a problem. Add my preference for MVC properties on family-vacation, and even P75 will be gone. So yes, in theory I could move everything to SPG, but practically speaking it would be too restricting given my travel pattern...

@sharon: In theory you are right, but my wife claims she is sleeping a lot worse since I'm home more often...:-)!

Greetings - Dirk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.