FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   No Rollover Nights in 2018 and other changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1879856-no-rollover-nights-2018-other-changes.html)

Long Distance Nov 28, 2017 6:47 am

No Rollover Nights in 2018 and other changes

Per The Points Guy -

http://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/marr...anges-in-2018/

As previously confirmed, Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest will continue to be run independently in their current forms through the end of 2018. There will be some relatively minor tweaks to both programs, though, as outlined by Marriott this morning:
  • Starpoints will never expire for SPG members with lifetime status, matching Marriott Rewards.
  • Excess Marriott nights earned in 2017 will roll over to 2018, but nights earned in 2018 will expire at the end of next year.
  • Marriott Rewards status buy back will be discontinued in 2018.
  • SPG members will be able to earn points on Hertz rentals, as you’ve been able to do with Marriott Rewards.
  • Marriott and SPG Platinum members will be eligible for free mid-tier Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Five Star status.
  • Marriott Platinum Premier and SPG members with ambassador service will be eligible for top-tier Hertz Gold Plus President’s Circle status.

edcho Nov 28, 2017 6:58 am

Also reported on Marriott Insider:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...611f85d8fb.png
https://insiders.marriottrewards.com...rogram-preview

yurtripper Nov 28, 2017 7:30 am

I was wondering if they would drop the buy back option - 40K MR points (~13K Starpoints) to buy back Plat seemed almost like a loophole, considering how good the linked SPG Plat bennies are. For more or less the amount of Starpoints a low-season night in Athens King George would cost (12K) you could guarantee Platinum benefits even if you had fallen well short of the target.

For me, it was a nice option to have (even though I never got to use it) as I live in a part of the world where the footprint (especially SPG) is very small.

Looks like I will have to retain Plat the hard way!

yurtripper Nov 28, 2017 7:46 am

Also, looking at the bit where they justify these changes (see my emphasis below), I think that 75 nights for Plat in the merged program is now a shoo-in.

1. Why is Marriott Rewards making these changes?

We are dedicated to delivering quality and consistency for our most loyal members. These changes will help ensure that we continue to provide exceptional Elite experiences during every stay. We want to ensure our most loyal Marriott Rewards and Starwood Elite members who have linked their accounts and matched their status enjoy their earned Elite benefits such as lounge access and room upgrades on a consistent basis.

Horace Nov 28, 2017 8:38 am

Originally Posted by edcho (Post 29108886)

Thank you!

The explanation at Marriott Rewards Insiders is much better at The Points Guy.

weld3z Nov 28, 2017 8:38 am

Why no rollover ? They want to move us to SPG ??
No reason for that , but I have solution for this stupid new rule after 75 night I we'll try to not stay at Marriott no reason any more .. !

109 nights this year plus I we'll end this year with around 120+ nights ..

Hey Marriott I think you lose $$$ by doing this ..

jr1202sr Nov 28, 2017 8:42 am

It seems like they are gearing up for Everyone to have to earn Plat in 2019 and starting from zero. I would highly doubt people are going to be soft landed or the 40K buyback exists for 2019. That of course is the first year of the merged programs.

Horace Nov 28, 2017 9:00 am

Originally Posted by weld3z (Post 29109220)
Why no rollover ? They want to move us to SPG ??

There are still rollover nights from 2017 to 2018, so your Rewards nights earned in 2017 beyond your elite re-qualifaction will give you a head start in 2018.

Although there's no official start date for the combined program, it seems 2018 is the final year that Rewards and SPG will be separate, and 2019 will be there first year for the combined program. (No, "they" do not want to move "us" to SPG.) The combined program could be very similar to Marriott Rewards, but, it's more likely that Marriott will bring in elements of SPG that made loyal SPG members fiercely loyal. It remains to be seen what the elite levels in the combined program will be.

SPG had a better system than Rewards to encourrage SPG Platinum guests to continue to stay at Starwood properties after re-qualification: Higher tiers within Platinum, with additional benefits after crossing into each new tier. I would not be surprised to see something similar in the combined program.

CPRich Nov 28, 2017 9:10 am

Originally Posted by weld3z (Post 29109220)
Why no rollover ? They want to move us to SPG ??....
Hey Marriott I think you lose $$$ by doing this ..

SPG $$$ are Marriott $$$.

DELee Nov 28, 2017 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 29109303)
There are still rollover nights from 2017 to 2018, so your Rewards nights earned in 2017 beyond your elite re-qualifaction will give you a head start in 2018.

Although there's no official start date for the combined program, it seems 2018 is the final year that Rewards and SPG will be separate, and 2019 will be there first year for the combined program. (No, "they" do not want to move "us" to SPG.) The combined program could be very similar to Marriott Rewards, but, it's more likely that Marriott will bring in elements of SPG that made loyal SPG members fiercely loyal. It remains to be seen what the elite levels in the combined program will be.

SPG had a better system than Rewards to encourrage SPG Platinum guests to continue to stay at Starwood properties after re-qualification: Higher tiers within Platinum, with additional benefits after crossing into each new tier. I would not be surprised to see something similar in the combined program.

I just look forward to Marriott and Starwood IT implementing the new program - NOT!...After the on-going Marriott website miss-or-miss / random turn ons etc. debacle and the awkwardness of the SPG website, I expect many many many many teething pains.

David

And don't get me started on how they've tried to revamp the apps...

weld3z Nov 28, 2017 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 29109303)

Many questions need to be cleared (after 2018)

1- If some one stay at SPG we'll count as Marriott stay ?
2- No more embisador after 100 nights at SPG ?
3-75 nights is the highest or there is 100 for better than platinuim ?
4-Life time elite we'll remain or no ?

JetAway Nov 28, 2017 9:17 am

Will "Buy Back" be available to qualify for the 2018 program year or are they saying there will be no "Buy Back" to qualify for the 2019 program year? Kind of short notice if it means "Buy Back" is not available to qualify for next year (2018).

hockeyinsider Nov 28, 2017 9:23 am

Getting ready of rollover nights is a huge devaluation without any new benefit. Why should I stay at Marriott past 75 nights, especially with no defined platinum-premier benefits or status-earning requirements?

The Hertz changes aren't really a benefit because Hertz basically gives away its elite status these days.

MSPeconomist Nov 28, 2017 9:39 am

I'm sad about the elimination of rollover as I'm likely to have lots of excess nights in 2018. In fact, I had been thinking that they would help me if Starriott ever announces some lifetime status above Platinum. [I'm already LTP with both SPG and Marriott as well at Plat Premier and Plat50 at least for now.] It's nice when nights count double, but maybe I should just shift over to Hyatt much earlier to make sure that I hit 55 or 60 nights for requalification as a Glob.

GUWonder Nov 28, 2017 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Long Distance (Post 29108841)
Per The Points Guy -

http://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/marr...anges-in-2018/

As previously confirmed, Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest will continue to be run independently in their current forms through the end of 2018. There will be some relatively minor tweaks to both programs, though, as outlined by Marriott this morning:
  • Starpoints will never expire for SPG members with lifetime status, matching Marriott Rewards.
  • Excess Marriott nights earned in 2017 will roll over to 2018, but nights earned in 2018 will expire at the end of next year.
  • Marriott Rewards status buy back will be discontinued in 2018.
  • SPG members will be able to earn points on Hertz rentals, as you’ve been able to do with Marriott Rewards.
  • Marriott and SPG Platinum members will be eligible for free mid-tier Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Five Star status.
  • Marriott Platinum Premier and SPG members with ambassador service will be eligible for top-tier Hertz Gold Plus President’s Circle status.

None of this really surprises me. Marriott wants to cut back on the proportion of top-tier elites it would otherwise end up with after the merger, and this is one way to try to do that.

I'm surprised nothing was put out about night credit for meetings. ;)