Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping: Don't do what I did.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Do you really think that $5 added to your hotel bill is going to magically convert itself into $5 in the specific server's pocket?
Yes. And I'm answering this with knowledge from both the server side and the customer side. Failure to give credit for tips is stealing. You certainly don't think the hotels are systematically stealing from their employees, do you? If you know of a hotel that is stealing from its employees, turn the hotel into authorities. Otherwise, you are accusing hotels of a very serious offense without evidence. BTW, Jessica Biel was just accused of doing this.

On the server side, unless tips are pooled, each server adds up the tips from receipts at the close of each shift. Keeping track of your tips is important. You've likely never worked as a server if you are asking this question. It's standard restaurant procedure. On the customer side, when I leave a tip I make sure the server is aware. Back when you could leave all tips on your bill, the front desk would keep envelopes for each employee and hand the envelope to the employee at the end of each shift or immediately move the amount into the employees pay for inclusion in the next paycheck. 100% of the time when employees reported back to me later they received the tips, and I always checked when possible.

Last edited by CJKatl; Nov 1, 2017 at 1:26 pm
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JackE
To make a long story short, I had breakfast at a Marriott on a Platinum voucher. The service was great and both food and gratuity were covered. Nevertheless, I added a $5 tip to be charged to my room for a total of $5 after the voucher.

The $25 breakfast charge, plus tip, ended up being charged. After explaining to the FDA, the post-stay "correction" was to add a second $5 tip. End result: $35 for a $0 breakfast.

Lesson: Don't add a tip-only room charge because no good deed goes unpunished.
If the gratuity is included with the comped meal, which seems to be standard at hotels generally at the rate of a generous tip of 18% or more, I would leave an additional amount only for truly extraordinary service.

I like to charge the tip to my room (or credit card in restaurants) as a way to implicitly get a "receipt" for the tip, for example if I'm requesting reimbursement. Of course, this isn't practical always, for example for bellpersons and doorpeople in hotels, or generally for housekeeping tips, including what you give to runners who deliver forgotten toiletries, etc.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Actually, the mistake is the person can't do math. And it isn't isolated.

Have you ever tried to give change after being run up at a Starbucks or something? They owe you 20 cents, and after digging around you find you have a nickel. So you give them a nickel. And they give you back a dime and a nickel.

It is indicative of how the whole world is losing its ability to do math. Even simple calculations require a calculator for most people nowadays.
It's a huge problem and getting worse. Far too many people lack understanding of basic concepts, such as converting 0.5 to a fraction or understanding what percent means. A couple decades ago I noticed that a McDonalds in an inner city location had pictures of menu items on the cash register (so that their staff weren't required to know to read words like hot dog, hamburger, and French/freedom fries) and then pictures of the change to be given so that no one needed to know how to make change. Sad.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 1StRanger
Or, have an ATM card that eats up all ATM fees (refunding those from the ATM itself), e.g. a card from Charles Schwab Bank.
Or CapitalOne. They reimburse both foreign and domestic fees.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Yes. And I'm answering this with knowledge from both the server side and the customer side. Failure to give credit for tips is stealing. You certainly don't think the hotels are systematically stealing from their employees, do you? If you know of a hotel that is stealing from its employees, turn the hotel into authorities. Otherwise, you are accusing hotels of a very serious offense without evidence. BTW, Jessica Biel was just accused of doing this.

On the server side, unless tips are pooled, each server adds up the tips from receipts at the close of each shift. Keeping track of your tips is important. You've likely never worked as a server if you are asking this question. It's standard restaurant procedure. On the customer side, when I leave a tip I make sure the server is aware. Back when you could leave all tips on your bill, the front desk would keep envelopes for each employee and hand the envelope to the employee at the end of each shift or immediately move the amount into the employees pay for inclusion in the next paycheck. 100% of the time when employees reported back to me later they received the tips, and I always checked when possible.
I've never been a server but that's always been my understanding as well. But what about if the gratuity is included? I am a bit skeptical that the server is getting a tip for something the customer never actually gave money for.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by GoPhils
I've never been a server but that's always been my understanding as well. But what about if the gratuity is included? I am a bit skeptical that the server is getting a tip for something the customer never actually gave money for.
That's actually what Biel is being sued for. There were large parties, 18% was included but never given to the servers. While it might just be a few dollars here and there, it totals up to almost a half million dollar lawsuit.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Yet more reasons to scrap this ridiculous tipping system. If done "right" the customer is penalized as he spends more (as opposed to the usual quantity discounts) along with accounting nightmares and if done in "cash", well, the rest of us get cheated with the existing tax structure.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
Yet more reasons to scrap this ridiculous tipping system. If done "right" the customer is penalized as he spends more (as opposed to the usual quantity discounts) along with accounting nightmares and if done in "cash", well, the rest of us get cheated with the existing tax structure.
Cash does get taxed. When I was in college, I worked at a place called The American Cafe in Georgetown, DC. The restaurant did not report enough cash tips, so the IRS came in and charged the servers. One waitress, Dorinda, kept good records and was able to prove she didn't lie. All others (I was there when the IRS came in but not during the period covered) had to pay additional taxes and penalties. As did the restaurant.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
So is it typical for tip to be included? Though I've been Gold or Plat for the last 4 years (plus a stretch before that a decade ago), most of my stays are at limited service properties, and the rest at FS properties where the GLD/PLT breakfast is in the concierge lounge.

But for the first time I can remember, I stayed last month at a FS property without a lounge (Marriott Suites Dulles). The breakfast there was in the restaurant; they bill the room the regular price for the buffet, and then it's automatically deducted for elites. My first morning, I tipped a couple of bucks, and was surprised that it wasn't removed also. Not a big deal, just $2, but is this common?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by swag
So is it typical for tip to be included? Though I've been Gold or Plat for the last 4 years (plus a stretch before that a decade ago), most of my stays are at limited service properties, and the rest at FS properties where the GLD/PLT breakfast is in the concierge lounge.

But for the first time I can remember, I stayed last month at a FS property without a lounge (Marriott Suites Dulles). The breakfast there was in the restaurant; they bill the room the regular price for the buffet, and then it's automatically deducted for elites. My first morning, I tipped a couple of bucks, and was surprised that it wasn't removed also. Not a big deal, just $2, but is this common?
If the hotel gives you a voucher to bring to breakfast, check what it says - I think the standard corporate-issued voucher indicates that gratuity is included. If the property doesn't give vouchers (room number/name check or something else), then I don't think it's inappropriate to ask what the expectation is regarding gratuity for elite members. I guess just don't be surprised if they say it's the responsibility of the guest.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler

Typically I find for properties that include a restaurant breakfast (e.g. F.S. without a C.L. or Courtyard), gratuity is not included unless they explicitly state that it is. When I get my breakfast bill at these properties, I typically mark it breakfast included, put down a tip amount, and list the tip amount as the total. Usually shows up on my folio correctly with just the gratuity. Occasionally I don't get charged at all even though I had intended to pay for the gratuity I don't remember every being charged for the full breakfast plus gratuity. YMMV....

--Jon

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Nov 8, 2017 at 2:14 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
(1) I'm not carrying cash for this purpose, period. It's 2017. Sorry.
I always carry some cash, and I am not a luddite. What's so scary about having some cash in your wallet?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
I always carry some cash, and I am not a luddite. What's so scary about having some cash in your wallet?
A couple things: If you are getting reimbursed cash is hard to track. Let's say I'm traveling four days a week, three weeks a month, meaning 12 days a month. Let's also assume between valets, room service, bellman, etc., I'm tipping $12 in cash. That's $144/month or $1,728/year. Second: Using cash means I need to plan and make sure I have cash. True story: the end of July I took $200 in cash from an ATM. I still have over $40 of that in my wallet. I just don't use cash.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JackE
To make a long story short, I had breakfast at a Marriott on a Platinum voucher. The service was great and both food and gratuity were covered. Nevertheless, I added a $5 tip to be charged to my room for a total of $5 after the voucher.

The $25 breakfast charge, plus tip, ended up being charged. After explaining to the FDA, the post-stay "correction" was to add a second $5 tip. End result: $35 for a $0 breakfast.

Lesson: Don't add a tip-only room charge because no good deed goes unpunished.
You didn't explain how you added the tip.

At the Marriott Suites Garden Grove (Anaheim area) CA, when they give me a breakfast bill with the Platinum voucher, they write $0 for the amount due (after crossing out the normal buffet cost). Then I write in the tip and the total.

Is this how it worked for you, or was there a different way that you added the tip? Did you fill out a total llne, or only a tip line? Did the restaurant write in $0 for amount owed, or not?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
My first morning, I tipped a couple of bucks, and was surprised that it wasn't removed also. Not a big deal, just $2, but is this common?
If you add something extra, for sure its going to be charged to your room.

Much like the "additional gratuity" line on room service AFTER the 18% AND fixed delivery charge. I used to add a buck to feel like less embarrassed while they watch you sign.

Last edited by bdschobel; Nov 3, 2017 at 6:04 am Reason: Language

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.