Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Calgary Downtown [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I cannot find its own thread so I would start a new one to post the review.

We stayed at the Marriott Calgary Downtown on points for one night in the 2nd week of Sept when we were roadtripping to visit Glacier / Waterton and the Canadian Rockies. It is a Cat 5 property. Our original booking was at Residence Inn Calgary South. Unfortunately when we changed our date, the Residence Inn was not available for points. We would be happier to stay at the Residence Inn instead. The traffic on Macleod heading north to downtown on a Friday afternoon was HORRENDOUS, especially when it was about 1/4 mile to the hotel. I have not seen such bad traffic for a very long time. We were moving literally at 5 mph speed, inching to each intersection while cars trying to maneuver their ways from one land to the other all the time. It was a miracle we did not have any small accident ourselves when we witnessed several.

At check in we were given a high floor room facing the fronting street. The level is just below the Calgary Tower. We could see 2/3 of the round part of the tower when we looked up.

Hotel apparently is a rebrand from an old property. Room design and furnishing seem quite outdated. AC unit is very noisy. From the floor map behind the door, all rooms of our floor have the same size which is on the large side.

Before the stay I got email from the hotel touting its M-Club and their offerings in the 3 time slots during the day. So we got a little excited but the reality was quite disappointing.

We arrived with 20 min to spare before the evening offering would be removed. It is a small lounge with few tables and a row of hightops along the window. A counter is along the wall. There is an "island" where a cash bar is set up with a bar tender. Then there is another small table where they put some foods.

The offerings primarily consist:
1) On the counter along the wall, a small plate of green bean salad with some bits of cold cuts and shredded of roasted red bell pepper, with a very light vinaigrette based dressing. While the salad was tasty the size of the plate on the counter was no more than a regular plate, not a serving plate. So it was depleted very quickly.

2) On the small table, a plate of 3 kinds of very thinly sliced charcuterie - either Italian or Spanish ham, another type of ham, and a salami.

May be there are some cheese items but I can't remember.

There were a bowl of chips and some healthy bars setting at the corner. I presume those were snack items that were available all day long except breakfast time.

All in all, it definitely did not live up to what was described in the prearrival email touting the M-Club.

No bottled water. Only Pepsi brand soft drinks, small bottled of juice cocktail and a 100% orange juice.

Instead they have 2 taps provide still and sparkling water. It does not work well with the small glass as the water comes out with a force, would cause a big mess with a cup. They should have post some advice / notice to warn the guests about such. They have some jars, like a jam jars. You use that to get your water, then you can pour it to the small glass drinking cup for consumption. It would work far better that way.

Later the night they brought out a again quite small plate for the sweets - 2 each, tiny squares of some cakes. I did not bother to try as the plate already was messed up by other guests trying to take the sweets.
The lounge was very underutilized, probably due to the drinks are all chargeable (and rather expensive). They do have a very very limited food menu for paid foods. Again, very expensive and very limited choices. Unless you are very hungry in the middle of the night, I cannot see anyone would use it. (M-Club opens 24/7).

Breakfast, what should I say? It is worse than you could find in a Residence Inn. Quite a sad affair. The hard boiled eggs were placed in 2 tiny glass bowls, including one with the shell all cracked.

Everything offered complimentary here is placed in smallish dishes. I dont know if this is by design to discourage consumption. It feels that way.

I dont really understand the M-Club concept. The Marriott Calgary DT is the first one in Canada (or in North America?) to have the M-Club set up. I cannot see this concept being popular, nor I cannot see meaningful additional revenues brought in by this concept, based on the experience at this one.

Parking is valet only due to the hotel does not have any parking facility. It is CAD40 weekday+Sun and CAD20 Fri/Sat. It says you need to call 30 min ahead before you need your car. On TripAdvisor people said the parking is 3 blocks away. A reviewer said they had to walk the 3 blocks to get their car yet still had to pay for the valet.

At check out the bill showed 0 despite we used the valet (CAD20). The agent could not find the record and claimed "compliment on me." Husband told him to give the $ to the valet people. I told husband not to worry - the hotel had your CC, and you would get a revised bill for that. Sure enough, a few days later an email came with the revised bill for the valet charge. What is wrong is, they charged CAD1 (presumably to test the card) and again CAD20 (the actual valet charge), for a total of CAD21.

Hyatt is very nearby, practically around the corner. (it has a historical building wing and a tower. The restaurant in the historical wing seemingly enjoyed good business when we walked by.) A few blocks north you will be in China Town. The reception told us on the south much further down, the restaurants stay open much much later. We did not want to drive so just walked a few blocks and had some wonderful, creative dumplings at a place run by 3 young people in the China Town. Good foods, cheap prices, and nice services.

The next morning our car was ready for us much sooner than the 30 min late. Many people were leaving at that time frame, so there were like 4 or 5 cars brought in by the valet, lining up behind us on the drive way and out to the street.

Here is a driving tip -

For those who would use this hotel and then head to Banff, we exited to the 9th Ave (one way) to Macleod 2 blocks east then turned north to 6th Ave 3 blocks away then head west. 6th Ave will change name to Bow Trail which will lead you to Canada 1. This route has no traffic, very easy to drive and you can fill up on Bow Trail before you will be on Canada 1. The gas price is 7 cents cheaper than the first station we saw on Canada 1.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 24, 2017 at 11:00 am
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:19 pm

I stayed there recently for one night and I agree with the meager food offering at the MClub lounge, although there were some variety like congee and stir fried noodles, in addition to what you mentioned. Personally, I would much prefer a breakfast voucher that I can use at the restaurant.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Stayed there for two nights in July. I agree that food was not great in the evening. Breakfast was adequate.

As to the water, I think not having bottles may be an ecological think. Saving on plastic. The Marriott at the airport was the same way.

Location was great for me as there was an AVIS across the street. I took Uber to and from the airport and did not use parking.

By the way, they did have great candy jars.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:54 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
I cannot find its own thread so I would start a new one to post the review.

We stayed at the Marriott Calgary Downtown on points for one night in the 2nd week of Sept when we were roadtripping to visit Glacier / Waterton and the Canadian Rockies. It is a Cat 5 property. Our original booking was at Residence Inn Calgary South. Unfortunately when we changed our date, the Residence Inn was not available for points. We would be happier to stay at the Residence Inn instead. The traffic on Macleod heading north to downtown on a Friday afternoon was HORRENDOUS, especially when it was about 1/4 mile to the hotel. I have not seen such bad traffic for a very long time. We were moving literally at 5 mph speed, inching to each intersection while cars trying to maneuver their ways from one land to the other all the time. It was a miracle we did not have any small accident ourselves when we witnessed several.

At check in we were given a high floor room facing the fronting street. The level is just below the Calgary Tower. We could see 2/3 of the round part of the tower when we looked up.

Hotel apparently is a rebrand from an old property. Room design and furnishing seem quite outdated. AC unit is very noisy. From the floor map behind the door, all rooms of our floor have the same size which is on the large side.

Before the stay I got email from the hotel touting its M-Club and their offerings in the 3 time slots during the day. So we got a little excited but the reality was quite disappointing.

We arrived with 20 min to spare before the evening offering would be removed. It is a small lounge with few tables and a row of hightops along the window. A counter is along the wall. There is an "island" where a cash bar is set up with a bar tender. Then there is another small table where they put some foods.

The offerings primarily consist:
1) On the counter along the wall, a small plate of green bean salad with some bits of cold cuts and shredded of roasted red bell pepper, with a very light vinaigrette based dressing. While the salad was tasty the size of the plate on the counter was no more than a regular plate, not a serving plate. So it was depleted very quickly.

2) On the small table, a plate of 3 kinds of very thinly sliced charcuterie - either Italian or Spanish ham, another type of ham, and a salami.

May be there are some cheese items but I can't remember.

There were a bowl of chips and some healthy bars setting at the corner. I presume those were snack items that were available all day long except breakfast time.

All in all, it definitely did not live up to what was described in the prearrival email touting the M-Club.

No bottled water. Only Pepsi brand soft drinks, small bottled of juice cocktail and a 100% orange juice.

Instead they have 2 taps provide still and sparkling water. It does not work well with the small glass as the water comes out with a force, would cause a big mess with a cup. They should have post some advice / notice to warn the guests about such. They have some jars, like a jam jars. You use that to get your water, then you can pour it to the small glass drinking cup for consumption. It would work far better that way.

Later the night they brought out a again quite small plate for the sweets - 2 each, tiny squares of some cakes. I did not bother to try as the plate already was messed up by other guests trying to take the sweets.
The lounge was very underutilized, probably due to the drinks are all chargeable (and rather expensive). They do have a very very limited food menu for paid foods. Again, very expensive and very limited choices. Unless you are very hungry in the middle of the night, I cannot see anyone would use it. (M-Club opens 24/7).

Breakfast, what should I say? It is worse than you could find in a Residence Inn. Quite a sad affair. The hard boiled eggs were placed in 2 tiny glass bowls, including one with the shell all cracked.

Everything offered complimentary here is placed in smallish dishes. I dont know if this is by design to discourage consumption. It feels that way.

I dont really understand the M-Club concept. The Marriott Calgary DT is the first one in Canada (or in North America?) to have the M-Club set up. I cannot see this concept being popular, nor I cannot see meaningful additional revenues brought in by this concept, based on the experience at this one.

Parking is valet only due to the hotel does not have any parking facility. It is CAD40 weekday+Sun and CAD20 Fri/Sat. It says you need to call 30 min ahead before you need your car. On TripAdvisor people said the parking is 3 blocks away. A reviewer said they had to walk the 3 blocks to get their car yet still had to pay for the valet.

At check out the bill showed 0 despite we used the valet (CAD20). The agent could not find the record and claimed "compliment on me." Husband told him to give the $ to the valet people. I told husband not to worry - the hotel had your CC, and you would get a revised bill for that. Sure enough, a few days later an email came with the revised bill for the valet charge. What is wrong is, they charged CAD1 (presumably to test the card) and again CAD20 (the actual valet charge), for a total of CAD21.

Hyatt is very nearby, practically around the corner. (it has a historical building wing and a tower. The restaurant in the historical wing seemingly enjoyed good business when we walked by.) A few blocks north you will be in China Town. The reception told us on the south much further down, the restaurants stay open much much later. We did not want to drive so just walked a few blocks and had some wonderful, creative dumplings at a place run by 3 young people in the China Town. Good foods, cheap prices, and nice services.

The next morning our car was ready for us much sooner than the 30 min late. Many people were leaving at that time frame, so there were like 4 or 5 cars brought in by the valet, lining up behind us on the drive way and out to the street.

Here is a driving tip -

For those who would use this hotel and then head to Banff, we exited to the 9th Ave (one way) to Macleod 2 blocks east then turned north to 6th Ave 3 blocks away then head west. 6th Ave will change name to Bow Trail which will lead you to Canada 1. This route has no traffic, very easy to drive and you can fill up on Bow Trail before you will be on Canada 1. The gas price is 7 cents cheaper than the first station we saw on Canada 1.
Hey you left out the assortment of candies to the left of where you walk in the M lounge.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
https://www.hotelmanagement.net/tech...-mobile-dining

Excerpt:

"As a part of the beta pilot program, hotel guests can use mobile dining on the Marriott Mobile app to browse the hotel’s Fresh Bites menu and place their order for in-room delivery...the Calgary hotel also is the first in Canada to offer GuestTek's managed video platform, replicating a personal in-home entertainment system and offering easy access to Netflix, YouTube and more"
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Has anybody stayed here recently and can comment on the lounge fare? Is it still similar to Happys comments? Gratis/paid alcohol in the evening?

I need a 1 night stay next week and trying to decide between here and the Delta that's downtown. If the lounge isn't great I'll probably stay at the Delta since it's a cat 3.

Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:45 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Has anybody stayed here recently and can comment on the lounge fare? Is it still similar to Happys comments? Gratis/paid alcohol in the evening?

I need a 1 night stay next week and trying to decide between here and the Delta that's downtown. If the lounge isn't great I'll probably stay at the Delta since it's a cat 3.

Thanks
Yes i have stayed there.. M Lounge is open 24/7, yes Gratis Liquor and light food. This is hotel is downtown I walked to everything with ease. I wouldn't stay anywhere else..
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by t1c
Yes i have stayed there.. M Lounge is open 24/7, yes Gratis Liquor and light food. This is hotel is downtown I walked to everything with ease. I wouldn't stay anywhere else..
Are there time restrictions on that and are you sure it applies to liquor? I've found various reviews online that say it's paid, and even a call to the hotel just now says alcohol in the lounge is on a charge basis, at least from 7-9pm. Not that I'm surprised, I'd be surprised if anything alcoholic was free given how cheap Canadian/US hotels are, I'm just curious and hate that they don't make this information easy to find. To me that is much of the benefit of a lounge and if it isn't free I'll just stay at the Delta, save my points, and get breakfast there anyway. The Delta also has the added benefit of being connected via Skywalk to the office building I need to be in, while the Marriott isn't. That's a benefit in 20 F weather!

Last edited by krazykanuck; Dec 8, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Old May 25, 2020, 8:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Accor Gold, AMEX FHR
Smile Bonvoy hotels in Calgary

Which Bonvoy hotel in Calgary would be the best in terms of quality of service and hard product?
Old May 26, 2020, 8:30 am
t1c

Originally Posted by Eagle_traveler
Which Bonvoy hotel in Calgary would be the best in terms of quality of service and hard product?
Calgary Marriott Downtown.
Eagle_traveler likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
agreed.

JW MARRIOTT is best.

Sheraton Eau Claire would be second best, IMO.
Eagle_traveler and unclepants like this.
Old May 27, 2020, 2:11 am

Interesting fact: way back when, this was the Four Seasons Calgary

Last edited by James Luckard; May 29, 2020 at 8:28 pm
Old Jun 1, 2020, 10:50 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Have You Tried...

Originally Posted by t1c
Calgary Marriott Downtown.
I've stayed in most YYC properties as a local. Before a few months ago, I would have said the Eau Claire hands-down, and it still is a great hotel. However, my last stay was at the Residence Inn Calgary Downtown and I came away incredibly impressed. Don't get me wrong, the breakfast in the lounge at the Eau Claire is very good, but the breakfast offerings at the Residence Inn were unbelievable!! Huge assortment of hot and cold offerings, healthy choices - the breakfast food area must have been 1000-1500 ft2. Rooms themselves were spacious if not opulent and had full kitchens, and the fitness area at the hotel was on two levels and was quite extensive. It's also very reasonably priced. I'll definitely be back.

Cheers,

Singlepoint
Old Jun 18, 2023, 9:22 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I really enjoyed the Calgary Marriott Downtown - they have obviously kept up with a hotel with older bones. Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Pros:
  • Bed was really comfortable - plush mattress, plush pillows, and really plush covers
  • Comfortable sectional couch
  • Shower pressure was decent and relaxing
  • Really nice views out towards the mix of traditional and modern buildings in Calgary
  • Tasty welcome gift of flavored chocolates delivered quickly from my previously assigned room within 5 minutes of arrival
  • Despite the popcorn ceilings, the room felt modern and tastefully updated
  • Internet TV OS present
  • Checked in by Rooms Director (found that out from the matching name on my welcome note) who was quite friendly
  • M Club on floor 2 was pretty good - yummy torpedo shrimp at evening service
  • M Club breakfast was super good - fluffy eggs, good bacon, really fresh and yummy croissant, good chocolate chip muffin
Neutral:
  • Was told directly that no King Suites were available before even asking (I had seen them listed as 1 Room Available) and was assigned a standard M Club on floor 22 - I asked about corner rooms, and they found one on floor 14 - not sure there is much difference, which I didn't know - think they wanted me to have the higher floor
    • Based on the language used, I think they would have upgraded me to a suite had there been more availability
Cons:
  • No obvious desserts at evening service besides some gummy candies
Overall, I would definitely return - the bed was a standout.

Photos:

​​​​​​​
DCFlyer0306 and curlycabbage like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
What happened to their pool? Didn‘t this property have one in the past?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.