Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Rome: St Regis or Westin Excelsior? 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:40 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
I have stayed several times at Excelsior and always got good upgrades since I have been SPG Platinum member and also used AMEX FHR booking for my family room.
Now, I plan to take some friends and considering to stay at Eden first time in mid September.

Eden is located inch closer to the tourist areas, and nice view from the room and restaurante if upgraded .
I personally do not like the lobby at Excelsior.
Also, I do not know why, but Excelsior used to have breakfast at Cafe Doney before, but last year we had breakfast at huge room(very boring looking) at back of the lobby.

However, I worry about the Eden because of the tiny room(about 250sq vs Excelsior 380 sq) at Eden if not upgraded,
Also, the Eden bathroom has only tub with shower.
Excelsior has tub and separate shower booth, right?

If we get spacious/better rooms at Eden, we might try there, but if it is not easy to be upgraded, I guess we should still stay at Excelsior .

St. Regis is nice, but I do not like the location.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Westin vs St Regis - Rome

Westin and St Regis in Rome are both 25,000 pts for my night in September.

Suggestions on which location?
Thanks
Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
I'd suggest skipping the St. Regis; we didn't like it ... have since heard the Westin is better. VERY disinterested service at the St. Regis among other minor issues.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by pkerr

Thanks
Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:42 pm

Thanks for the link
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:06 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
If you like beautiful museum like hotels that have incredible class and culture and are walking distance from the train station then stay at the St Regis. Although the St Regis is a little farther from the sights both are walkable.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by pkerr

Thanks
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...etter-etc.html
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by abk
If you like beautiful museum like hotels that have incredible class and culture and are walking distance from the train station then stay at the St Regis. Although the St Regis is a little farther from the sights both are walkable.
Thanks! That's the kind of insight I'm looking for.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 4:51 pm

My opinion hasn't changed from what I've already posted in response to the very same question on several other threads; we opt for the Excelsior every time.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
I have two free rooms booked at the st regis (gold member) for the night before we head off to a cruise. Is the basic room at the st regis decent? I don't expect an upgrade but if the basic room is at all musty, dirty or dark it will be an issue for my mom. Thanks!

Last edited by floridagal23; Jan 16, 2014 at 9:14 pm
Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by DCAcubsfan
Tip: if you stay at the Westin, there's a BNL/BNP paribas group bank west across the street from the US Embassy which is directly south of the Westin. If you have Bank of America, BNL is a part of their Global Alliance ATM where you can withdraw euros at market rate fee free I believe.
BofA now charges 3% forex fee on overseas ATMs, even for Global Alliance. Better off with a CapOne, Schwab or Fidelity ATM card.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:46 pm

Interesting and timely thread for me as I'm going to Italy for a month in October.

I've been a SPG member for some years now, built points with the SPG Amex card, but haven't stayed with SPG as I built my Marriott status to Platinum and close to lifetime plat. Once there I'll try to build the same level at SPG.

Marriott's 3 Rome hotels are fully booked to points, so I thought I'd give the Westin or St. Regis a try as I have enough points for 7 nights. I like the area around the Westin more than the SR but for the same point level (20,000) I might give SR a try.

Problem is I've been spoiled by Marriott's platinum level with free upgrades, concierge room, and free breakfasts. It appears that even the highest SPG levels don't get those perks...but I could be wrong.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by pwrshift

Problem is I've been spoiled by Marriott's platinum level with free upgrades, concierge room, and free breakfasts. It appears that even the highest SPG levels don't get those perks...but I could be wrong.
Yeah, you're definitely wrong.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Originally Posted by pwrshift
Interesting and timely thread for me as I'm going to Italy for a month in October.

I've been a SPG member for some years now, built points with the SPG Amex card, but haven't stayed with SPG as I built my Marriott status to Platinum and close to lifetime plat. Once there I'll try to build the same level at SPG.

Marriott's 3 Rome hotels are fully booked to points, so I thought I'd give the Westin or St. Regis a try as I have enough points for 7 nights. I like the area around the Westin more than the SR but for the same point level (20,000) I might give SR a try.

SPG Plat Benefits
Old May 29, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
Not impressed by St. Regis Rome

Just stayed 5 nights at the St. Regis in Rome and was not too impressed. As a platinum I was upgraded to an Imperial room which is ok, but not too spectacular either. I realize it is a historic hotel, but the room could use some updating nevertheless. As an example, the windows are very old and let all street noise through, so bring your ear plugs.

Service is very subdued and hit and miss. Breakfast was ok but nothing out of the world. The cocktails are the most expensive I have ever seen even by St. Regis standards.

I preferred the St. Regis in Florence. It was better maintained and had better service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.