Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Rome: St Regis or Westin Excelsior? 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome: St Regis or Westin Excelsior? 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Looks like the rates have finally been loaded for my dates, alas no cash + points but the St. Regis @ E352/nt and Westin @ E333/nt - both cheaper than the Marriott @ E359/nt. At those prices I don't feel the need to act immediately.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
I have 3 nights in Rome (first time). Leaning towards SR, as the reviews are much better. Am gold and almost Platinum and the possibility of getting a suite would be wonderful. The stay over Christmas. Thoughts?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:42 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by captain_starwood
I have 3 nights in Rome (first time). Leaning towards SR, as the reviews are much better. Am gold and almost Platinum and the possibility of getting a suite would be wonderful. The stay over Christmas. Thoughts?
I vote for the Excelsior - and recently gave my reasons in the thread linked below (post #216, currently on the last page):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...etter-etc.html
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 50+, Hyatt Diamond, United Gold
Would love some insight on whether to book the St Regis vs the Excelsior for an upcoming stay. Both are offering C+P option at $150+8000 pts, so price is non-factor. Wondering which is the better choice for us given that we have two young children (ages 2 & 5) and therefore having a nice SPG Plat suite upgrade is the most important thing for a comfortable stay. Seems like people generally prefer the St Regis overall, but that Plat upgrades to suites are more likely at the Excelsior. I've read about a lot of Plats being upgraded to Imperial room at the St Regis but with two little ones, that isn't an ideal situation for us no matter how nice of a room that might be. Any advice is welcome.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
I was trying to make the same decision: I spent a bunch of time reading up on the forums. Here's what I concluded:

1) St Regis is an older, more historic property. Slight experiential edge on brand / luxury.
2) Yes, Westin has better Platinum upgrades, but STR has upgrades too.
3) My guess is that Westin is better fit with two kids.
4) That being said, I booked STR for three nights over Christmas.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:33 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by captain_starwood
...1) St Regis is an older, more historic property....
Well, not by much. The Grand hotel opened in 1894. The Excelsior opened in 1906.

Here are some articles on the two properties containing some interesting trivia - if anyone's interested:

The Grand: http://www.famoushotels.org/article/746

The Excelsior: http://famoushotels.org/article/981 (this is actually an article about a book on the Excelsior)
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Stayed at the Excelsior in 2011 - found the heating was up too high and made the rooms very stuffy.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:30 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by Isochronous
Stayed at the Excelsior in 2011 - found the heating was up too high and made the rooms very stuffy.
Then adjust the thermostat to your liking.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: SPG Plat 50+, Hyatt Diamond, United Gold
Wound up booking the Westin for 5 nights starting tomorrow. Got a rate of 199€ which was hard to beat and the Westin pre-upgraded me to the Grand Luxe Suite, so that will make it a much better experience with the family in-tow. I'll report back on how the stay goes.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by hgadhia
Wound up booking the Westin for 5 nights starting tomorrow. Got a rate of 199€ which was hard to beat and the Westin pre-upgraded me to the Grand Luxe Suite, so that will make it a much better experience with the family in-tow. I'll report back on how the stay goes.
I predict it will go just fine...you'll have a great time in Rome!
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, CC, AA, UA, WN
St. Regis

As a platinum using SNA, was upgraded from from a superior room to a junior suite, no higher upgrade possible according to the FD. I hear you have better upgrades at the Westin. Both locations are within a few blocks of each other, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Tip: if you stay at the Westin, there's a BNL/BNP paribas group bank west across the street from the US Embassy which is directly south of the Westin. If you have Bank of America, BNL is a part of their Global Alliance ATM where you can withdraw euros at market rate fee free I believe.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat, SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, HH Gold
Oh man, these properties were showing at 20K each in June until yesterday. I was contemplating booking it, but sure enough as I finally made up my mind and ready to book it is back to 25K for the same dates. I thnk the 20K lasted for like a week, now they are back to the high season again.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Torn between Westin and St Regis. Good problem to have I guess
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by nrjanga
Oh man, these properties were showing at 20K each in June until yesterday. I was contemplating booking it, but sure enough as I finally made up my mind and ready to book it is back to 25K for the same dates. I thnk the 20K lasted for like a week, now they are back to the high season again.
I wonder if Award Wallet was trying to tell me. I have 2 nights in june booked , at 25,000 each. Earlier this week I got a automatic looking email, showing "new reservations". It confirmed my upcoming stay, and other stays , but had 50,000 struck thru, followed by 40,000 . I guess I should have responded by rebooking at 40,000. this morning I got another email confirming "New reservation at 50,000 pts" I'll pay more attention to award wallet in the future. Is this a service they provide , or just a fluke?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
Smile

Originally Posted by phdtomd
Torn between Westin and St Regis. Good problem to have I guess
Well, we have not stayed at the St. Regis - but did stay at the Westin Excelsior 2 years ago. We were upgraded to a 2nd floor corner suite overlooking Via Veneto! The suite was fabulous - the overall staffing was super good and the bar was wonderful and always packed. We also liked the location - you can certainly walk to all the "tourist" spots.......we loved it!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.