Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Cape Town, South Africa [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Cape Town, South Africa [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by ONLY_no_One

perhaps you may have bumped into one of these site users who have undisclosed interested with the property.
Er, no, and so why is it relevant?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 7:54 pm

Thanks Guy Betsy for the warnings. I'm trying to decide whether staying here or The Westin in Cape Town. Looks like I may be better off at The Western Cape Town instead.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:29 am

Question about Starpoints and Westin Cape Town

Am I correct that I can book two nights for 14000 points = 392 USD ? The cheapest I have found by booking through the website without points is 580 Euro for a total of 2 nights. Please help because I am new to the starpoints program. Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:43 am

I do not understand your equation 14000 points = 392 USD. If I were to place a monetary value on my own points, I would suggest that 14000 points is worth about $280. There is a Cash and Points option available that would allow you to use 5600 points + $90 for two nights. That seems like the best deal.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 2:00 pm

Thanks ehe123 but I have seen that cash and points may not be available for the Westin in Cape Town. Only to category 1+2. Correct me pls if I am wrong- Thx
Old Oct 23, 2010, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by ibizenco247
Thanks ehe123 but I have seen that cash and points may not be available for the Westin in Cape Town. Only to category 1+2. Correct me pls if I am wrong- Thx
The Westin is a Category 3, and if I put in Nov. 19-21, I see 2800 points and $45 per night, or 5600 points and $90 for the two nights. If you do not see it, it may not be available on the days you are looking.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Looking at spending a week here (at the Westin in Cape Town proper). Trying to figure out why it's Cat 3 yet fairly expensive ($400 most nights I've been checking in the spring). Any reason?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:16 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Hello All,

Does anyone have an up-to-date contact point for guest relations at this property - I have a stay soon & wish to arrange airport pick-up & some other stuff. Many thanks.

Also, I have read much of this long thread but currently what can SPG Plats expect here in terms of treatment? Thanks again.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:17 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by NoY
Hello All,

Does anyone have an up-to-date contact point for guest relations at this property - I have a stay soon & wish to arrange airport pick-up & some other stuff. Many thanks.

Also, I have read much of this long thread but currently what can SPG Plats expect here in terms of treatment? Thanks again.
Re: How PLT is treated at this property, I must admit that they do a spectacular job. My g/f and I stayed here at the end of July on a C+P booking, and they upgraded us to a very nice suite. We were very happy with the attentive service. We had club lounge access, where they serve a full breakfast that is amazing.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:12 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by uxb
Re: How PLT is treated at this property, I must admit that they do a spectacular job. My g/f and I stayed here at the end of July on a C+P booking, and they upgraded us to a very nice suite. We were very happy with the attentive service. We had club lounge access, where they serve a full breakfast that is amazing.
Thank you for the feedback. Sounds great - the Suite upgrade sounds very nice Did you get the upgrade upon check-in or was it showing on your on-line account? What transport arrangements did you make to get from the airport? Many thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:12 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by NoY
Thank you for the feedback. Sounds great - the Suite upgrade sounds very nice Did you get the upgrade upon check-in or was it showing on your on-line account? What transport arrangements did you make to get from the airport? Many thanks.
I have been at this hotel a half dozens times and was offered the suite upgrade every time without having to ask. However, most of the suite perks have been done away with: no more butler, no more local car, no more champagne upon arrival, no more upgraded bathroom amenities, etc .... The lounge has been reduced to a few chairs at the entrance to the top-floor restaurant, but they still serve breakfast and cocktails there. Sometimes reception says breakfast is available at the downstairs restaurant and cocktails at the downstairs bar. If so, go for it! The breakfast there is one of the most spectacular I have seen at any Starwood hotel (another good SPG breakfast is Astir Palace on the Greek Riviera)

A few years ago the hotel provided transportation from the airport, but I suppose cost-cutting has eliminated that. Cars are inexpensive to rent in SA, parking at the Westin is free, and roads are generally quite good. Get one and drive to the Cape of Good Hope. Basically you can go one way along the west coast and the other along the east coast. It's absolutely spectacular! And that will solve your airport transportation problem as well.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:23 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by NoY
Re: Hotel, we got a bottle of wine as our platinum amenity, which was nice. As my fellow Brasileiro stated, we did not have to ask about an upgrade. They automatically looked and put us in the best room available.

Re: getting around, I rented from Europcar. It was a good car, but they are such scam artists. I had pre-paid that reservation on the internet. I was only expecting to pay for the additional charge associated with a GPS unit (a must if you drive in the Western Cape). The rental counter double-charged me for rental charges/taxes/fees despite having pre-paid. I am actually still fighitng with them over these charges. They are slow to respond. That being said, there are plenty of other companies offering rental vehicles at CPT. The only problem we had with our rental was in navigating from the terminal to the lot, and from the city back to the rental return area. The airport had changed a bunch of signs and roads for the Copa do Mundo, so you could find yourself going around in circles a bit.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:57 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by uxb
Re: Hotel, we got a bottle of wine as our platinum amenity, which was nice. As my fellow Brasileiro stated, we did not have to ask about an upgrade. They automatically looked and put us in the best room available.

Re: getting around, I rented from Europcar. It was a good car, but they are such scam artists. I had pre-paid that reservation on the internet. I was only expecting to pay for the additional charge associated with a GPS unit (a must if you drive in the Western Cape). The rental counter double-charged me for rental charges/taxes/fees despite having pre-paid. I am actually still fighitng with them over these charges. They are slow to respond. That being said, there are plenty of other companies offering rental vehicles at CPT. The only problem we had with our rental was in navigating from the terminal to the lot, and from the city back to the rental return area. The airport had changed a bunch of signs and roads for the Copa do Mundo, so you could find yourself going around in circles a bit.
I normally rent from AVIS at the airport using an AWD code found on FT (different each time, but a good one is W300012). I never had any problems, either with AVIS or with driving in SA. Their GPS seems a bit out of date, though.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:59 am
NoY

Thanks for the info. guys. We will not be renting a car, we just need a one-way pick-up transfer from CPT-Westin, hence my request for contact details. We will then be going to the Arabella Western Cape Hotel for a few days, again via private transfer. Our rate includes breakfast, as I had heard about the legendary spread here Any other tips gratefully received
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by NoY
Thanks for the info. guys. We will not be renting a car, we just need a one-way pick-up transfer from CPT-Westin, hence my request for contact details. We will then be going to the Arabella Western Cape Hotel for a few days, again via private transfer. Our rate includes breakfast, as I had heard about the legendary spread here Any other tips gratefully received
It's really too bad you aren't renting a car. There is sooooo much to see and do around there. I too have never had a problem with Avis. South Africa was my first time driving on the left side of the road, but I had no problems. And this was many years ago before GPS. The roads are quite simple, especially the Garden Route along the coast.

However there is one fun activity that you want a driver for. Tour the vineyards! If you like good wine this is one of the best places in the world to drive around and sample, sample, sample. Also, if you golf there are some great courses in the area. The Arabella Western Cape has it's own course, which isn't the best, but good enough and right outside your window. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.