Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Commander, Boston [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Commander, Boston [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2003, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Sheraton Commander in Boston

I will be staying at this hotel next month. Has anyone stayed there before? Any comments as I can still change my reservation to another property.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 2:28 pm

Stayed there last month: service staff was great with all the family, platinum upgrade to a 3 room suite was a gem; only regret was not being able to stay longer. Didn't try the restaurants so no info there. Outside of the building didn't match quality of rooms (do they really like the tall sign?) oh and maybe the diorama of Washington addressing the troops was a hit, but could use a little dusting
Old Aug 25, 2003, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA *G
When I was thinking about going to Boston, I put the commander out of retrospect because of it's horrible outside, and small size, and some negative reviews I read somewhere.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 3:12 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The Commander has a few superb rooms (the rest are average) and a great Harvard Square location. Which is a big plus if you want to be on Harvard Square, somewhat less convenient if you want to be in Boston. The Platinum upgrades often get you a much better room than from the other Boston hotels (my last stay included a spa tub, separate shower and a great canopy bed). The hotel is well run but constrained by being in an older building (small elevators, etc.).
Old Aug 25, 2003, 5:22 pm

A zillion previous reviews of the hotel if you search.

As mentioned in this thread, the Commander is a good choice if you want to be in Harvard Sq and you insist on Starwood. The Charles is by far the better hotel in Harvard Sq (better location, better rooms, far better service, far-far-far better restaurants, easier auto access) - one can hardly imagine how someone accustomed to, say, the HK Peninsula would ever be seen at the Commander when the Charles is 4 (tonier) blocks away.

Actually, even the low-key Inn at Harvard, just off the yard toward Putnam Sq., would be a better Harv Sq choice than Starwood's offering.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 6:20 pm

Not to mention that the Charles has the very nice Regattabar, a jazz club that books very good and prominent jazz musicians and people like Ronnie Earl etc. But as for food, you'd be best served not eatin at any of these hotels and trying the diverse restaurants of Hv Sq especially the Indian ones. Don't forget to stop off at Finale's for desert. The Charles is a nice hotel. Not sure of its affiliation though???
Old Aug 25, 2003, 7:08 pm

Huh?

"lapsed poobah on several disreputable carriers & caravansaries"

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wideman:</font>

[This message has been edited by Gordon is A Liar (edited 08-25-2003).]
Old Aug 25, 2003, 7:11 pm

This Gordon likes! Will make a reservation to stay here.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Avalanche:
3 room suite was a gem</font>
Old Apr 11, 2004, 3:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Tale of two Sheraton hotels (Commander & Boston)

Wanted to see different parts of Boston this weekend:

Sheraton Commander
See online 2 bedroomsuite is available (based on another post of plat being upgraded to it, realized it would be perfect since trip with my co-worker and I). Asked to be upgraded told at 2pm on phone, told not available but maybe club floor is. Called plat conceirge at 7ish room 2 bedroom suite still avail. Called hotel up since I was about to arrive and told its not avail and say reservations is wrong. Get there 15 min later and call reservations while at the front desk, they tell me hotel completely sold out (dont think so but who know what button they pressed). Get assigned 1 bedroom suite on low floor. Go to room and someone in there half naked!

Go back to front desk and no apology for room. He's also like oh you also wanted no smoking. He then SAYS we prioritize plats according to rates and though he going to get in trouble (its 8:30 so I think its bs) hes going to put me in a non smoking, club floor, 2 bedroom suite. ***Makes me feel like **** since I am paying a corporate rate which is actually the same as the regular room rate and not a cheap rate (came to almost $200 with parking). *** I'm not good enough to be upgraded to a room at 8pm that someone who might be paying $30 more and might not arrive is?

Get to room, during stay realize mouthwash was opened and half used. Call for wakeup call at 1am and guess what.. No one answers. Call at 1:30 and no answer. Without wake up call, alarm was low, woke up 30 min later than suppose to..

Oh the elevator only opens half way. My luggage barely fit inside it Got stuck in it a few times. Filled out a comment card but no response so who knows if it was even read. Also valet parking is at parking lot, had to park ourselves. so much for valet.

Sheraton Boston
----------------
Amazing hotel. Paid $5 cheaper rate then the Commander, was going to stay here both days but wanted to see Cambridge too. Stupid me. First class from seperate checkin line, express elevators, upgrades with no hassle. Recognized status completely. Called room to see if anything I needed. Room was like staying in a W Boston and reminded me of W Westwood (but in Boston).. Climate control, everything you might need. Model convention and frozen four teams were in town and staying at hotel.. World class gym and they are expanding. (Not free for non plat or if not on club floor). Perfect place to stay. True Valet parking. My new home when I'm in Boston.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Curious

Curious if anyone else at stayed at one or both of these hotels had a similar experience. Particularly the commander's elevator system but also their use of rates in determining how to upgrade plats

Last edited by welookgood.com; Apr 12, 2004 at 11:40 am
Old Apr 12, 2004, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Elevator report

I had a fairly good stay at the Commander last summer. I got a large corner room as a Gold. It was on the 2nd floor, but it's not a tall building, so I don't think there's much difference between "low" and other floors. As for the elevator, they do have one that is about as small as any I've seen, including some weird ones in Paris and Rome. It would be a challenge with almost any type of luggage.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 5:00 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite; UA Premier Executive; HH Gold VIP
SPG T&Cs

Just curious: why would you so doggedly pursue a two-bedroom suite when it is -- per T&Cs -- outside of the pool of rooms eligible for Platinum upgrades?
Old Apr 14, 2004, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Dia, Marriott S
I have stayed at both hotels numerous times. Commander is an older hotel on the Green in Cambridge. Elevator is a challenge, but the hotel is well kept and very nice, if you are willing to accept the nuances of an updated older property. The Sheraton is very nice. Both hotels have treated me well as a platinum, with nice upgrades on most stays and an occasional SUPER upgrade (got a suite that must have been 1500 sf in the Sh. Boston once - wow!). The clerks at the Commander have noted they prioritize among platinums, but they said it was based on frequency/stay pattern at that hotel, not price. Altogether, two excellent hotels with good treatment of platinums, but much different in their personalities.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 6:01 pm

Thumbs up They both know how to treat Plats right!

Just stayed at the Sheraton Commander last night and am now at the Sheraton Boston.

I've had excellent plat recognition at both hotels during my past stays and this continues--last night a nice one bedroom corner suite overlooking the Cambridge Commons, and tonight a very large one bedroom refurbished suite on the 29th floor over looking the Chuck River. ^ ^ ^

And tonight the hotel is sold out!

I guess it helps to stay frequently at these properties, as I've been doing.

If you like primary colors, then head to the refurbished floors at the Sheraton Boston. The Club Lounge is clad in red wallpaper-- but a tad bright for me during the morning hours.
Old May 14, 2004, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just wondering if Sheraton Boston has finished refurbishing the entire place. Also, which tower would you recommend? Do they both have good view of the river?

I'm trying out both places later this month. Will report back later...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.