Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance New York City Midtown [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bennos
  • Lobby & executive lounge are located on the 6th floor.
  • Lounge is open on weekends for soft drinks only. Breakfast on weekends at the restaurant - voucher for continental breakfast and tip. (Not $30/$60 credit as of October 2016.)
    • As of July 2021, the Lounge remains closed "due to COVID" probably at least until September
  • Executive lounge has no espresso machine and coffee/tea are only available during breakfast and evening cocktail hours.
  • No option to buy beer/wine/cocktails in executive lounge - need to order from lobby bar.
Print Wikipost

Renaissance New York City Midtown [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2023, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Marykatesmom
Yep! There is no incentive to book Marriott other then if they are in the best location for the right price. I am repeatedly denied early Check in, even with my Ambassador 24/7 guarantee.
I stayed here once in the past 6 months. I showed up to the hotel at probably 7:30 am off a redeye. They let me check-in to a room that was open. Titanium, not ambassador.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Post-COVID, does this property's Club Lounge offer any food in the evenings during the week? I know it is closed aside from non-alcoholic beverages from Friday afternoon - Sunday afternoon.

I stayed in 2019 and the weekday evening Lounge offerings were pretty decent, but haven't been back since Covid.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
Post-COVID, does this property's Club Lounge offer any food in the evenings during the week? I know it is closed aside from non-alcoholic beverages from Friday afternoon - Sunday afternoon.

I stayed in 2019 and the weekday evening Lounge offerings were pretty decent, but haven't been back since Covid.
Yes, they have a light spread in the evenings. I think they had hummus, salsa, chips, and a cheese plate one night last week. Some sort of fried samosa or something with dip and chips another night. There might be simple fruit too.
DCFlyer0306 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by sbr7d
I had the same thing happen to me. Marriott basically said "we don't care" and "they can really do what they want". I went back and forth with them but no success.

I ended the conversations realizing that in Feb 2024, I am a free agent as my platinum will run out. I still like Marriott but won't exclusively stay with them.
Marriott took my request and agreed with my interpretation of the loyalty rules. The hotel should have acknowledged my status and provided a choice of welcome amenity. The manager had replied that they didn’t have to offer the F&B option because the restaurant is operated by a third party. I rebutted that there is nothing that permits them to NOT offer a choice of welcome amenities, regardless of restaurant ownership, especially when they offer in room dining, rates that include breakfast, and the ability to charge a meal in the restaurant to your room. They didn’t reply for 7 days so Marriott took over the case and provided 15,000 points as compensation that they will charge back to the hotel.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 5:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Does anyone know if room service is back up and running at this property? Specifically breakfast?
Old Jan 24, 2024, 7:25 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Quick question, in checking this against the Executive Lounge Worldwide thread this is the latest listed for this hotel:

"* NY City / Renaissance Midtown / CLOSED; Continental Breakfast Buffet Voucher for Elite +1 (but includes hot items); key accessible for soft drinks; technically on the 1,000 points/closed exemption list, but reports of breakfast; 06/19 update"

Is this still true and if so where is the buffet good for?
Old Feb 13, 2024, 1:03 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, DL, AC Gate Lice, WS, UA
Originally Posted by EdV
Quick question, in checking this against the Executive Lounge Worldwide thread this is the latest listed for this hotel:

"* NY City / Renaissance Midtown / CLOSED; Continental Breakfast Buffet Voucher for Elite +1 (but includes hot items); key accessible for soft drinks; technically on the 1,000 points/closed exemption list, but reports of breakfast; 06/19 update"

Is this still true and if so where is the buffet good for?
Was just there last week/end. Lounge is open, breakfast and evening food offerings are pretty limited - light continental and appetizers. Still received 1,000 pts due to no food on weekends.
EdV and jaro like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (1w Emerald), United Platinum (*G), Marriott Plat Elite
I have just wrapped up my 4 day stay here, impressions:
Positives:
  • Rooms are modern and nice
  • Huge gym downstairs with plenty of equipment
  • Well-situated next to Penn station (you pay for the location)
  • No noise from other rooms / hallway despite being next to the elevator
Negatives:
  • Spurious charge appeared on my bill but front desk took care of this quickly
  • Front desk was not the nicest, it always seemed like I'm disturbing them, no matter what the request was
  • When checking in, the front desk told me they will email me in 10 minutes with the room number. An hour later sitting in the lobby I came to ask about the room and was told "oh, it's been ready for past 1 hour"
  • Noise from streets is audible in the rooms, I was on 30th floor and still required earplugs to sleep
EdV, Kacee and mikeFT like this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jaro
[*]Well-situated next to Penn station (you pay for the location)
Many would consider the location a negative, as it's not a particularly pleasant area. There are plenty of hotels with proximity to Penn Station; what you're mostly paying for here is the Marriott branding.
jaro likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 6:54 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Many would consider the location a negative, as it's not a particularly pleasant area. There are plenty of hotels with proximity to Penn Station; what you're mostly paying for here is the Marriott branding.
Right, all in eye of beholder. I consider it a positive as it's so close it's an easy walk from Penn Station to the hotel. If you're talking about another neighborhood further out, then you lose the convenience of being so close to the station and just have to weight what's important to you.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 7:02 am

I'm about the Marriott branding and there isn't a nicer Marriott around in the close proximity. I stayed at Edition for 2 nights though now and that was much better (but with a slightly longer walk)
Old Mar 15, 2024, 8:03 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EdV
Right, all in eye of beholder. I consider it a positive as it's so close it's an easy walk from Penn Station to the hotel. If you're talking about another neighborhood further out, then you lose the convenience of being so close to the station and just have to weight what's important to you.
Yes, this property is convenient to Penn Station but that doesn't allow it to charge a higher rate. There's tons of competition in that area among many mediocre (at best) hotels. To the extent the Ren Midtown is able to charge a premium compared to other nearby hotels, it's due to the brand, not the location.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 8:16 am

Agreed. I don’t think the hotel is worth 450/night, especially when EDITION was priced the same; had it been a personal trip I would never pay that. The hotels around that area run high, especially even for doubletree or fairfield you pay that much with crummier rooms
Old Apr 8, 2024, 1:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EP
Any quick DPs on what's to be expected these days? We're heading here later in the month for 5 nights on points (5th night free). We're Titanium but this will be only our second trip taken with that status - earned mostly because of a long hotel stay when moving homes last summer, so I don't have a lot of experience at this level.

Lounge I gather has morning and evening food options, but not on the weekends. Do we need to ask to be compensated the 1000 points for no weekend lounge? As for welcome gift, any recent DPs on what might be offered? I know not to come in posturing for benefits- that's not my style.

We applied 5 SNUs/NUAs to this stay but I remember reading they're rarely granted here, and the only upgrades that were available to request were for standard rooms on a higher floor with skyline view (which would be nice, but burning a suite upgrade on it feels off) But I'm aware this is an issue brand-wide.

Any other tips appreciated! I've read through most of this thread back when we booked it, but it's been a while since then.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by mikeFT
Any quick DPs on what's to be expected these days? We're heading here later in the month for 5 nights on points (5th night free).
An interesting choice. None of the nicer properties, such as Essex House, within reach? This is really a business hotel, in a central but otherwise unappealing location, with among the weakest elite benes of any Marriott in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.