Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Dallas Victory Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Dallas Victory Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2008, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spending a Few Days at the W Dallas Victory in November - Several Questions

I did do a search but as I have several questions I decided for a new thread.

Spending a few days at the W Dallas Victory in November.

It seems that there is no club floor/private lounge - is this true?

Also, my primary concern is that I have never stayed at this particular W - is it any good, the rate [$335/per] right off of the website seems oddly low.

Also, is On the Boarder still near-by? If so is it still any good? I Haven't spent anytime in downtown Dallas in a couple of years - just Preston Woods area and Ft. Worth.

Any other suggestions for good casual dining near-by?

Thanks.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:47 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by anrkitec

Also, my primary concern is that I have never stayed at this particular W - is it any good, the rate [$335/per] right off of the website seems oddly low.

Also, is On the Boarder still near-by? If so is it still any good? I Haven't spent anytime in downtown Dallas in a couple of years - just Preston Woods area and Ft. Worth.

Thanks.
Stayed at this property a few years ago at the grand opening party and partied with Tommy Lee in Ghost Bar. Awesome time! Alas I was a Wood newbie back then. Initially had a terrible interaction with the valet as he literally cursed and yelled at me when I was trying to have my car valeted in the pouring rain. Got a complimentary bottle of champagne from that incident although knowing what I know now I should have talked to the manager and asked for Starpoint compensation. Anyways, great property. Has a Living Room bar in the lobby, Ghost Bar which is typically hopping with the typical snobby and beautiful Dallas crowd and has great views of the city on the top floor with glass walkways. Also has one of the best non resort wood pools I've been to... infinity pool sort in the middle floor of the property that is outside but covered with the towering building above. No club lounge or private lounge that I can recall. The rate you got for the W seems pretty typical for this hotel so I wouldn't sweat it. As far as On the Border there are far better places for Tex-Mex if that's what you're looking for... there are numerous places that are nearby and convenient by cab or vehicle such as Mi Cucina, Luna De Noche, and El Fenix. Victory Plaza is right there with the American Airlines Center and there are quite a few restaurants, bars, and shops that are literally in walking distance from the hotel. These would be N9ne Steakhouse, Kenichi for sushi, and Victory tavern for example. These would definitely not be for casual dining with the possible exception of Victory tavern. It's a very busy and happening area so you're in the right place if you want to have fun. Hope this helps!
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Plat;
I like the W here - and agree with the above that On the Border is not your best option for dining. Depends on what you want I guess. The few times i have stayed I have received upgrades to a suite...the last one was the nicest W suite I have ever been in as far as size. 339 is a bit pricey, I would think you could get it cheaper...perhaps you have a corporate rate there with your company.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by anrkitec

Also, is On the Boarder still near-by? If so is it still any good? I Haven't spent anytime in downtownin a couple of years - just Preston Woods area and Ft. Worth.

Thanks.
Not one W I know of has a club lounge. The only brands that have lounges are the Sheraton, Westin and Le Meridien's.

In addition to the information some might supply here, might I suggest checking the Travel&Dining: Destination >> United States >> South forum. You can search for Dallas restaurant and general information there.

Good luck and please post a review of your trip.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Red face

Hi,
Glad to be able to reply as usually I am lurking and gaining information....
First regarding the price per night at the W....the prices of the top hotels in Dallas are very reasonable. Especially on weekends (if something is not going on that would cause the hotels to be full), you can often get great rates even for 4 and 5 star hotels.
I agree with the above poster regarding the restaurants. One that will be in your vicinity that you might want to try is Monica's Aca Y Alla. You can find all the information at www.monicas.com . This is a locally owned restaurant that is a fun place and great food. You have lots of great choices within close proximity.
If you have any other questions, please post, as I can most likely point you in the right direction.
Have fun in Dallas!
Lisa
Old Oct 9, 2008, 2:03 pm

Programs: Starwood Preferred Guest, OnePass
LOVE the W Victory!

I want to put in my two cents about the W Victory because I was so pleasantly surprised by my experience there. I had read several negative reviews (primarly with the service) on travel web sites, but I found the service at the W Victory to be some of the best I've had at a W Hotel.

The rate you have seems about right. I stayed a year ago and got a rate in the high $200s, also booked online. All Starwood prices seemed to have jumped since then, so $335 doesn't seem out of line.

I was not thrilled with the location, and I didn't have a car while I was there. You can walk to some stuff nearby, but we had to use cabs during our stay to get to some of the things we wanted to see.

I would also second the suggestion of eating at El Fenix; it's been around for a long time and it's decent Tex-Mex within walking distance.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:00 am

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred
Any recent stays/experiences?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:57 am
BHB

Programs: DL PM/SC, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by bpoe19
Any recent stays/experiences?
I will be there next week...
Old Jun 29, 2009, 6:36 pm

is street parking available in the area? or a cheaper lot than using the hotel's parking services?
Old Jun 30, 2009, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ethang801
is street parking available in the area? or a cheaper lot than using the hotel's parking services?
Yes, street parking is available. Also, there's a garage directly west of the W which is much cheaper and a parking lot southeast as well.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by krazieman
Yes, street parking is available. Also, there's a garage directly west of the W which is much cheaper and a parking lot southeast as well.
any particular streets? i will be arriving friday afternoon so the easier the better!
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:05 pm
ufo

We stayed at the W Dallas Victory last weekend. We booked a corner suite with balcony for apprx $230 per night. The room was nice, separate bed, living and very large balcony. There were two bathrooms also and two room doors with numbers in the hallway. Clearly capable of being configured to be two rooms, but the corner room was not set up with a bed with the space being filled with a large sectional.

We arrived at 4pm and had to wait an hour for the room. They said that there were only 4 rooms of this type. They gave us two pairs of free drinks at the lobby bar, and free breakfast to compensate.

Parking across the street was great - $10 per day. Covered and very easy to walk across the street. The only warning was that it had some notice about there being a limitation on nights when there were events at the arena, but nothing was going on while we were there.

There were really only two negatives with the hotel. (1) the other guests.... it did seam like a bit of a night club, perhaps the low prices have brought in a new client segment. and probably linked.... (2) we heard so much about Ghost Bar, that we thought to go up there for a quick drink early in the evening. They want to charge $15 cover for male guests my wife was "free". We said, "no thanks, it cant be that good". The fact that they are charging guests to go to one of the bars is a bit much. I also have a feeling that the cover for non residents is even more.

All in all though, an ok place. We had a nice stay.

ufo
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:25 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by ufo
There were really only two negatives with the hotel. (1) the other guests.... it did seam like a bit of a night club, perhaps the low prices have brought in a new client segment. and probably linked.... (2) we heard so much about Ghost Bar, that we thought to go up there for a quick drink early in the evening. They want to charge $15 cover for male guests my wife was "free". We said, "no thanks, it cant be that good". The fact that they are charging guests to go to one of the bars is a bit much. I also have a feeling that the cover for non residents is even more.

All in all though, an ok place. We had a nice stay.

ufo
Did you mention the the bouncers that you were hotel guests? If you did, then a big shame on them.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 4:27 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, HHonors Diamond
I stayed at the W Dallas when I went to see the Celtics play the Mavericks at American Airlines Center. When I made the reservations, I was told on the phone by the SPG Plat Desk, the Ghost Bar is a "must see" and since I am a Plat, I will have comp access to the bar. They charge guests that are non-Plats, $15 and regular cover is $20.

We try to head up there for a drink before the game that night....the bouncer on the 1st floor stops us and asks to see our key. We pull it out and he said, "that will be $15". I said, "we were told SPG Platinums have comp access to the Ghost Bar". He looked at us and laughed. Then he said, "sorry, cover is $15 if you are a guest". I then said to him, "we are Platinums". He said, "if your name is not on this list (he pointed to a piece of paper on a neon green clipboard), then it costs you. No freebees here".

Perhaps he wanted to charge me $15, because I was wearing a road green Larry Bird Celtics jersey?

Call me cheap, but I didnt want to pay $15, if I was initially told it was complementary access. I go to the front desk and the front desk agent acts like I am bothering him....in fact...I got that feeling all weekend long...from check-in to check-out...like I was bothering the staff. The only one that was nice about everything was the bellman (he did get a nice tip).

Anyway, I tried to explain to the front desk agent about what I was told by the SPG Plat Concierge. He then told me in a very serious tone, "I am sorry you were misinformed, but my experience with the SPG Plat Concierges are not good and they mislead a lot of our guests". I laughed out loud and left to the arena.

I was so uncomfortable during the stay, we checked out a day early before we were supposed to leave.

p.s. Celtics 99-Dallas 92
Old Jul 31, 2009, 4:38 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Just as an FYI, hotel guests are given complimentary access to Ghost Bar until 9 PM. After that time, there is a cover charge for everyone who isn't on the VIP list.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.